C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I sold my 2008 Coupe and bought a 2009 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:51 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why I sold my 2008 Coupe and bought a 2009 Z06

I want to prefice this by saying I am trying to give other feedback besides; the Z06 is way faster, has a bigger engine, is a track star, etc. If you are reading this, you have probably read the magazine reviews. I encourage others to add their impressions that are not statistics or speed based.

Sorry for the cell phone photo. I just got it yesterday.

I don't understand why Z06's are going so cheap. I got it for less than the average Auto Trader price of a used 2010 Grand Sport. Saved $15k off of the Forum Vendors price of a very similar 2011. Mine had 4800 miles when I purchased it. Couldn't be happier.

I've read several threads about why a Z06 is better, but they usually just turn into chest thumping sessions. If you think might makes right and just want to bully your opinions, please do not post.

First off, it is faster. If you don't believe read the magazines. Can I tell from the seat of my pants? To be honest, I don't know yet but I don't think it is staggeringly faster to my rump. I doubt I can tell the difference between a 3.8 second and a 4.3 second 0-60 time with me driving. In fact, at this point I could probably drive my A6 faster. Just nail it and the auto does the work, pretty much the same every time.

Primarily, I bought it because I wanted a 6 speed and got at least as good a deal on a Z06 as I was likely to get on a Grand Sport. Why buy a Grand Sport when you can have the real deal for similar money?

I didn't drive a manual coupe or Grand Sport, so I cannot comment on them or the sounds coming with their dual mode exhaust(mine had the base stock exhaust). However, compared to my A6 coupe, the Z06 is a tremendous visceral experience. Driving the coupe had become almost a sterile experience. Yes, I could paddle shift, but the downshifts take forever and it is really just clicking a fancy button. Driving around town just wasn't emotionally much different than driving my Lexus. Nothing like rowing the gears. To me, this alone would have increased my driving pleasure substantially. The Z06 is not sterile, it is a beast. Just driving a little aggressively makes it roar in comparison. Yet it is a good balance and not overwhelmingly loud.

So, after basically owning my Z06 for one day, my big impression for why the Z06 better is that it has more attitude or swagger, if that makes any sense. It is an awesome machine and it is fun just accellerating from a stop to 45 with even moderate accelleration.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

...and your telling us all something we didn't already know??
I guess that is why it costs more than a normal coupe , just like my new ZR1 is everything more than a Z06.
Glad you like it, what is not to like!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:28 AM
rayk
Drifting

Great looking Z06. I like the wide body better. It will be interesting to see if GM keeps producing the standard body unit.

I got the GS because the roof comes off for driving with my better half on vacations, but I can still take it to the track for HPDE's. The GS was a good compromise for me.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:33 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rayk
Great looking Z06. I like the wide body better. It will be interesting to see if GM keeps producing the standard body unit.

I got the GS because the roof comes off for driving with my better half on vacations, but I can still take it to the track for HPDE's. The GS was a good compromise for me.
If I was only considering a new car, it would have been a Grand Sport too. I think this is the first used car I have purchased in almost 20 years.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:40 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You don't need to convince anyone here...Just yourself.
We know a Z06 rocks!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:42 AM
rayk
Drifting

Originally Posted by widgetsupply
If I was only considering a new car, it would have been a Grand Sport too. I think this is the first used car I have purchased in almost 20 years.
I have a hard time buying used. I haven't bought a used vehicle since 1987.

In this case, I think you did great. Nice car.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:44 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations on your new Z06. The Z06 has the roar, stiffer ride, great handling and the horsepower of the supercar that it is. When I think about driving a sportscar and what it is to get behind the wheel of one, shifting a manual transmission must be a part of that experience. There is nothing more exciting than downshifting that 505 horsepower V8 and feel the entire car jump life as you press down on the excellerator and the engine quickly revs up to the redline, you grab the next gear and you take it to the redline again. The car and you are as one going through the curves on a country road. The power you feel from your car gives you a rush that only a true sportscar can do for you. You just can't get that feeling from an automatic transmission and I think that is why you sold your 2008 Corvette coupe.

I almost went for a Z06 when I ordered my new Vette but I also love convertibles so I ordered a 2009 Z51 MZ6 manual 6 speed with all the bells and whistles. I can stay up with most Z06's on a windy road but I can't catch one on a straightaway and I can live with that. I just love to shift those gears myself as do you!

Kent
Canyon Run Videos

Old 06-26-2011, 01:58 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, already know this, as moved to an 06' ZO6 from a base C5 when they first came out. Awesome car, but from road track experience, base C6's are awesome too, and barely a tick behind. It's true ZR1's are a bit more, as in an extra 200 lbs hanging over the nose + $40K. Really think GM hit it out of the of park with base C6 and ZO6 designs, but not so much on a few others.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:26 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Torchsport

You don't need to convince anyone here...Just yourself.
We know a Z06 rocks!
I'm sold. I'm just trying to quantify in a subjective way why people think the Z06 is so much better. I know that Z06 owners get it, but I have seen repeated threads asking about this. I'm hoping I will have some advice to pass on next time that I see a thread asking this question.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:51 AM
Metal Skull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why buy a Grand Sport when you can have the real deal for similar money?
It's about time someone finally had the nut to say this. I'm getting tired of every post talking about the GS like it's somehow the most superior vette ever made. Yeah they're definitely nice, but for the money I would definitely pull the trigger on the Z06 (not something made to look like it).
Old 06-26-2011, 04:21 AM
Stevenyc777
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same except I traded my 08 coupe for a new 11 Z06 when you have it for a while then you will realize what a great car it is..good luck..
Old 06-26-2011, 04:23 AM
rayk
Drifting

Originally Posted by BLK4MTL
It's about time someone finally had the nut to say this. I'm getting tired of every post talking about the GS like it's somehow the most superior vette ever made. Yeah they're definitely nice, but for the money I would definitely pull the trigger on the Z06 (not something made to look like it).
People aren't saying it's the most superior vette ever made and the Z06 is a faster car on the street and track. Everybody gets a little hyped up when they get a new vette and for many, the GS is the look they are looking for either as a convert or coupe with removable top. I think in the end, the GS will be the base model and narrow body will be history.

I'd like to have a Z06 for the track because of the engine and a GS for cruising. Not going to happen though.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:19 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

I think you would have gotten the same awe feeling drivng a 6speed manuel rather than the auto to begin with. Thats how 6 speeds are!!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:23 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Enjoy your Z06 no doubt it is a step up in many ways from the 430HP Vette. As for the 6 speed manual that is the only way to roll for me.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
I think you would have gotten the same awe feeling drivng a 6speed manuel rather than the auto to begin with. Thats how 6 speeds are!!
Agreed. My pops has an 07 A6. I have an 07 M6 with the Z51 package. He drove mine exactly a week ago.. on fathers day and couldn't believe the difference. Said he felt like he was driving for real.

My car is no Z06 but a 400+ hp V8 in a manual transmission rwd car will put a smile on any man's face. And no one would ever dare ever label that experience "sterile".
Old 06-26-2011, 06:33 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm sold. I'm just trying to quantify in a subjective way why people think the Z06 is so much better. I know that Z06 owners get it, but I have seen repeated threads asking about this. I'm hoping I will have some advice to pass on next time that I see a thread asking this question.
You can't quantify subjective, only objective, i.e. measurable data.

Sorry, just a comment from an old lab rat.

Z06 is awesome, subjectively and objectively.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Why I sold my 2008 Coupe and bought a 2009 Z06

Old 06-26-2011, 07:17 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,075 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Agreed. My pops has an 07 A6. I have an 07 M6 with the Z51 package. He drove mine exactly a week ago.. on fathers day and couldn't believe the difference. Said he felt like he was driving for real.

My car is no Z06 but a 400+ hp V8 in a manual transmission rwd car will put a smile on any man's face. And no one would ever dare ever label that experience "sterile".
Also agree. Since your post says you've never driven a base manual, and aren't all that interested in the bit of extra power, it sounds like you are talking more about the difference manual to automatic than the difference base to Z06. If you ever drive a base manual, post again and tell us how you then view the difference base manual versus Z06 manual. I'm absolutely not bad mouthing Z06. But if you ask me which is more important to Vette enjoyment, having a manual or having a Z06, that's an easy choice. Manual. And yes, though I owned only base manuals, I have driven Z06 manuals.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:37 AM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Roof comes off....Tired of shifting, paddles do the job on occasion I feel like using them, widebody on the GS. Fit all of my needs for a cheaper price.

Your Z06 is terrific looking! Enjoy it. GM makes different models to satisfy different needs, thank goodness we have "choice".
Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 AM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Why buy a Grand Sport when you can have the real deal for similar money?
You were doing fine with your descriptions of the benefits of a Z06 and your descriptions of discovering the joys of a manual trans and NPP exhaust. However, the above sentence has a false premise. All Corvettes are "the real deal" and that includes the GS.

The GS is not a Z06 wanna be, it is a GS, which has a specific blend of features in its own right. That blend may be ideal for some people but not the ideal for others. In my case it is the ideal blend. The feature that the Z06 lacks that is the deal killer for me is the fixed roof. Not a bash on any model, simply a statement of why I chose the GS over the Z06.

Congrats on your purchase, good write up but there are reasons for making other choices as well.

Last edited by 3GenVettes; 06-26-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Why I sold my 2008 Coupe and bought a 2009 Z06