C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C6 - afraid of dealer's free first oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:30 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

Default New C6 - afraid of dealer's free first oil change!

My 2011 is a bit over two months old now, and I like to change the oil in a new car well before the recommended normal service time. So, with about 1,300 miles (78% life left per DIC) I went to the dealership just to talk to the service department; do I do I need an appointment, how long, blah, blah. But when I asked whether or not they use jack pucks when lifting these vehichles, the write-up guy (manager ?) looked perplexed. "What's a jacking puck?" I explained, and he still looked perplexed. We walk to the servce area, and two mechanics say "No, never. What are they?" I started to leave, shaking my head, while the service manager (?) tries to comfort me and reassure me that they are not needed. "I recently came from a Mercedes dealership (prior job - that is to make me feel better?) and they never use them. I expain why they are needed again. I take him to the show room where a new GS is sitting. We both bend down so I can show him, and he can feel the recessed area where the pucks go since the composite panels sit below that lift point. Still not convinced. Hmmmm. I ask whether the dealer is willing to repair my panels should they crack. Of course, he says. I say I wish to save the dealership money by using the pucks.

Left, went home. Then the sporting goods store, and the hardware store. Made my own pucks, per all the great posts here on the forum. Now, do I take those, and my 'baby' to the dealership for my free oil change? Or just do it myself. I'm leaning to the latter.

Thanks for listening, just needed to vent.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:35 PM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the past 3+ years I have had the BMW version pucks always on the C6. No problems.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

So far I have had cracked rocker, broken fuse box cover, and scratched door (on caddy)....all from GM dealers. Only thing that got fixed was the scratched door. So whats not to be afraid of??
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the use of jacking pucks are a personal matter! Most, I say most garages have lifts with adjustable/sliding attachments on the ends of the lift arms. That is why they have no idea what a jacking puck is! Discount Tire stores [because of their particular rack types] have jacking "blocks" made of hard rubber that they use, therefor, most have never heard of jacking "pucks". In fact, I myself never heard of jacking pucks till I joined this forum and I have owned 7 or 8 Corvettes!
I use a simple jacking block "puck" made of 4 or 5 pencil slats and they work perfectly. Did not cost a dime. And yes, I do change my own oil
Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Slogo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your afraid of the dealer doing an oil change( which I understand) wait till you need more involved repairs(hopefully not ). You got to trust sometimes. Just saying
Old 06-22-2011, 01:54 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

I just got up the courage to change my oil for the first in the GS(although I use to do it many years ago in my C3) It really is easy and enjoyable, Just get a low profile Jack, jack stands to be safe, and the tools. I bought a torque wrench at sears, 18 lbs on the plug and 22 lbs on the filter if you want to be exact.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

As long as they are careful not to hit the rocker panels with the lift supports, there is no need for jacking pucks. At our dealer, they drive the car on a lift with ramps to do things like an oil change...no pucks needed.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

If you are bringing it back to the chevy dealer that sold you the car, I would assume that they have changed the oil on other C6's they sold and should know how to properly lift a C6 off the ground. I mean, if they can't do it, then who can ? I am going to wait until 1500 miles before I change the oil in my 11GS and I will bring it back to the dealer for this service plus a few other items I want them to look at. After this free oil change, with the exception for warranty work, it will go to the local Corvette specialty shop for all other service.

Only question I would have, I read on this site about lifting problems with cars that have side skirts installed. Is this really a problem and how can you get around this ?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:21 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT LET THE DEALER TOUCH YOUR BABY UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will drive from NJ to WI to help you change the oil, it's soooo easy! and waaaayyyy cheaper (if you get the oil on sale)
Old 06-22-2011, 02:26 PM
ArcticLS3
Pro

My dealer has a drive on lift for oil changes so I don't have to worry about pucks. Maybe your dealer does as well?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Do it yourself and have them do warranty work, oh I have frame savers on my rockers that run all the way down the sides, like A&A made for C5s, no issues lifting my Vette and I do my own oil changes
Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 PM
P0234
Pro

I keep my cars far away from the dealer. If its a really expensive part, then it goes in, otherwise I'd rather buy it and do it myself. Less hassle, less aggravation, and usually quicker. Besides, most dealerships have a recovering crackhead doing oil changes, do you think he's going to let the oil completely drain and pre-fill the filter?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:44 PM
vindicator
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like others here, I make every effort to avoid dealers. Oil changes are easy with the right equipment and I like knowing its done right.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Ernest
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default oil change

i lucked up ....my dealer had a pit.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
ZBoater
Pro

I'm taking it back to where I bought it. They sell tons of Vettes and seem to know what they are doing. Plus the first oil change is on them, so free is free.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:03 PM
ub2slow2

Damn I am dreading my first oil change which is coming up.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:07 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Regardless of whether you decide to change your own oil or not, purchase a set of pucks and leave them in the trunk of your car. There will likely be times such as tire repair or change not to mention major mechanical problem that will necessitate you bring it to someone else. Don't trust that whoever that is will have the pucks. Let them use your set. I do my own oil, etc., but when I do need to bring it to someone (recently Firestone for new tires) I pull these out of the trunk, put them on myself, and all is set. Just remember to get them back or take them off when you pick up the car. Easy solution.

Get notified of new replies

To New C6 - afraid of dealer's free first oil change!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:18 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K
Regardless of whether you decide to change your own oil or not, purchase a set of pucks and leave them in the trunk of your car. There will likely be times such as tire repair or change not to mention major mechanical problem that will necessitate you bring it to someone else. Don't trust that whoever that is will have the pucks. Let them use your set. I do my own oil, etc., but when I do need to bring it to someone (recently Firestone for new tires) I pull these out of the trunk, put them on myself, and all is set. Just remember to get them back or take them off when you pick up the car. Easy solution.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:39 PM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBoater
I'm taking it back to where I bought it. They sell tons of Vettes and seem to know what they are doing. Plus the first oil change is on them, so free is free.
Same here. Free oil change at selling dealer with a busy service dept. I felt better when they told me they have 3 drive on ramp lifts used 100% for L-O-F changes. I asked them to install my provided UPF48R filter and they did. In and out in 30 minutes.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:40 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts

It isn't just the rockers you have to worry about either- grease getting tracked in the car and smeared everywhere, scratches and dents, mysterious extra miles on the odometer, a little extra rubber up in the wheel wells, a "courtesy" wash with a filthy rag...

Quick Reply: New C6 - afraid of dealer's free first oil change!