C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Brake Dust on a GS ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Vette Nut
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default More Brake Dust on a GS ?

Just had my first road trip in my Grand Sport last weekend. Put on 600 miles. It sure seemed like the front wheels had more brake dust on them than any other Corvette i have had. Anyone else notice this ?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Nut
Just had my first road trip in my Grand Sport last weekend. Put on 600 miles. It sure seemed like the front wheels had more brake dust on them than any other Corvette i have had. Anyone else notice this ?
It's doing exactly what it was designed to do, the GS/Z06 feature some of the best pads you can get for a street/track car that's OEM. Dust is the price you pay for no brake fade....

Just buy a can of Armor All Wheel Protectant and you won't see the dust cling to your rims anymore, it works extremely well.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 PM
h2oskiman
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

armorall wheel protectant good stuff
Old 06-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 305 Posts

Yep. Finally got frustrated and replaced the brakes at 5,000 miles with Hawk ceramics this spring. Very satisfied with them so far. Haven't seen the reddish brown wheels since. About 75% less dust and no squeaking (yet). 2010 GS.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:13 PM
GS Ron
Burning Brakes

Armor All Wheel Protectant.......Takes care of about 80% of the problem.
I use it about once a month.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm compulsive about clean wheels and I got sick of fighting it after about 1000 miles (cleaning the wheels every hundred miles!!!) ... so I changed to Hawk Performance Ceramics.

After 4000 miles I now have practically no dusting.

I'm not a track guy so I notice no difference in braking.

This photo (courtesy of TOBASCO), is what my wheels would look like after 100 miles. I tried ArmorAll Wheel Protectant. At first I was sucked in to the hype, but after a while I decided it DIDN'T DO DICK! Well, not completely true, it made my shiny Comp Gray wheels look dull and ugly.

Last edited by Luster; 06-21-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put the armor all wheel protectant on my front wheels when the tires were replaced at 28,000 miles. I've now got 30,500 miles over one month and about 6 car washes. The front wheels are still spotless. The trick is not to touch the wheels (after application) when you wash the car except with a gentle spray of water. I wonder how long this stuff lasts?

Last edited by SSTEVEGS; 06-21-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SSTEVEGS
I put the armor all wheel protectant on my front wheels when the tires were replaced at 28,000 miles. I've now got 30,500 miles over one month and about 6 car washes. The front wheels are still spotless. The trick is not to touch the wheels (after application) when you wash the car except with a gentle spray of water. I wonder how long this stuff lasts?
I can't really explain why it didn't work for me. I tried different application techniques, temperatures, in garage, outside, etc. Brake dust definitely likes the Comp Gray wheels much better than the chromies!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:49 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
It's doing exactly what it was designed to do, the GS/Z06 feature some of the best pads you can get for a street/track car that's OEM. Dust is the price you pay for no brake fade....

Just buy a can of Armor All Wheel Protectant and you won't see the dust cling to your rims anymore, it works extremely well.
Finally, no more red dust on the front wheels.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Leprkon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vette Nut
I think it's really the same amount of dust, but the wheel design holds so much dirt it takes an hour to get the dang things clean !!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Luster
I'm compulsive about clean wheels and I got sick of fighting it after about 1000 miles (cleaning the wheels every hundred miles!!!) ... so I changed to Hawk Performance Ceramics.

This photo (courtesy of TOBASCO), is what my wheels would look like after 100 miles. I tried ArmorAll Wheel Protectant. At first I was sucked in to the hype, but after a while I decided it DIDN'T DO DICK! Well, not completely true, it made my shiny Comp Gray wheels look dull and ugly.

That should hose right off with Armor All Wheel protectant on them.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:06 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

I can't really explain why it didn't work for me. I tried different application techniques, temperatures, in garage, outside, etc. Brake dust definitely likes the Comp Gray wheels much better than the chromies!
My GS is Cyber Gray with Comp Gray wheels, and I'm a bit **** about clean wheels too, and the dust is driving me nuts. I am a track guy, so no pad change for me, I bought a can of the Armor All Wheel Protectant, but haven't had the chance to apply it yet. I'm thinking maybe one evening this week I'll pull all 4 wheels, do a good cleaning and apply the stuff, see how it works, I'm hoping for at least a little improvement.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:08 AM
RedVette84
Safety Car

I find that the Armor All does make my wheels clean up much easier.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a crazy picture, looks like no Armor All was applied.

My polished aluminum Z06 rims look fantastic even after a couple weeks worth of driving after I apply it.

To the OP, buy a can and apply it to one of your wheels and see the difference compared to the rest. You'll be surprised at how much less dust clings to the applied rim.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:34 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

If your not tracking go ceramic you will be happy you did.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
That should hose right off with Armor All Wheel protectant on them.
Correct. It should. But that's exactly what I DON'T want to have to do. I shouldn't have to stop at a car wash after driving 50 miles to a car show.

Originally Posted by boraxman
If your not tracking go ceramic you will be happy you did.
The Hawk Ceramics are fantastic. One of the best investments I've made.

No more "Terra-Cotta" Wheels!!!

Get notified of new replies

To More Brake Dust on a GS ?

Quick Reply: More Brake Dust on a GS ?