C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

-------------> Column lock replacement parts needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:49 AM
dragonfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -------------> Column lock replacement parts needed!

Hello,
Have been doing allot of reading lately. I have had my 2005 MY MN6 C6 for about 6 months now. I had my first no start episode 2 months ago. Fresh 8 yr battery from Autozone. Issue was OK for a while but has become more and more frequent. I am ordering part number 88963402 (where would be the cheapest source) and am wondering if other parts are needed to do the install properly. I found the tutorials on removing airbag and steering wheel and the job does not look too difficult.

It is really tempting to connect the new one and mount it away from the column and leave the broken one unlocked on the column without electrcal plugged in.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Check with our vendors, gmpartshouse.com and partstaxi.com.

In case you didn't see this one:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-for-you.html
Old 06-20-2011, 12:10 PM
dragonfly
Racer

Ordered the main part today? has anyone tried to mount the column lock away from the column where it would not have any resistance?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 PM
ao22087
Heel & Toe

Default column lock

your gonna run into the same problem within another couple months if you leave your car outside in the sun on a hot day if you mount it on or off to the side. There is a electric motor that fails inside the column lock that moves the lock pin to make a circuit complete. I had the same problem twice within 3 months.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I like your idea of fooling the car into thinking that the column lock is there! Creative solution!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Trublu01
Advanced

I'm might be installing a new column lock this weekend. What can be done to so I don't have to deal with it anymore? besides trading up.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:19 PM
ao22087
Heel & Toe

when you get your old one out take it apart and pull the lock pin out. plug all the wires back in that you had to take apart then hold the little button down that is inside the column lock and try starting the car. If the car starts then you dont need the new column lock.(worth the work cause it saved me a couple hundred dollars.)
Old 07-26-2011, 10:47 AM
dragonfly
Racer

Alright, job complete. Hit a brick wall in the middle of the install, trying to remove the plate that the column lock locks into.

You will need a "steering wheel lock plate remover" which is about 15 bucks at advance auto parts.

You will need a female torx socket to remove the column shroud. I ended up using a 4mm 6pt socket.

You will need snap ring pliers to remove the spring lock.

It would have been helpful to have a tool to release all the safety clips on the electrical connectors. I tore my old column lock cable trying to get it out! So no experiments for me.

That said job was very straight forward and intuitive. I was surprised how little clutter there is behind my 2005 Dash. Reassembly with the right tools was a 20 minute job.

The difference is night and day. There really is a Zing with the new lock installed. I have used the column lock about 30 times and it is awesome crisp every time! If I had to do it again it would be a 60-90 minute job.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Trublu01
Advanced

Yeah, I knocked it out this past Saturday as well. Not bad at all. Definately a difference.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Trublu01
Advanced

Originally Posted by ao22087
when you get your old one out take it apart and pull the lock pin out. plug all the wires back in that you had to take apart then hold the little button down that is inside the column lock and try starting the car. If the car starts then you dont need the new column lock.(worth the work cause it saved me a couple hundred dollars.)
I could not see a way to pop out the black plastic without breaking the casting that holds it in.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 PM
ao22087
Heel & Toe

Default scl casting

I clamped it in a vice and used a hammer and punch to break those crimped areas off. Then you take the 3 screws out and the plastic comes right off.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Torlow
Instructor

I'm trying to change mine out as well. Service manual says to deactivate SIR Zones 3, 4 and 5 but doesn't really show where they are.

Before I tear out a lot more stuff unecessarily than I already have,can someone point me closer to them?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:18 PM
ao22087
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Torlow
I'm trying to change mine out as well. Service manual says to deactivate SIR Zones 3, 4 and 5 but doesn't really show where they are.

Before I tear out a lot more stuff unecessarily than I already have,can someone point me closer to them?
just disconnect the battery, pull the airbag fuse that is located in the passenger side of the car car were your feet go, pull the floormat out and pull the carpet panel down and there is your fuses, then wait a good 20 minutes before doing anything with the airbag. hope that helps. my car runs perfect still with no problems so what I did definetly works! airbag tip: I used little allen wrenches to push the tabs in to remove the airbag.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:48 PM
dragonfly
Racer

I just disconnected the battery and let it sit overnight. Did not worry with any fuses at all. Still working fine.

Get notified of new replies

To -------------> Column lock replacement parts needed!

Quick Reply: -------------> Column lock replacement parts needed!