C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone from California...Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Mach 25
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone from California...Question

I'm planning a trip from Salt Lake to Oakland...two questions: just wondering how aggressively California enforces the front plate law. Utah requires a front plate but does not enforce so I've never bothered with one. Secondly, what it the fine if pulled over. TIA for any comments.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 AM
ibking
Advanced

I have been driving with out a front plate for years and it's just a fix it ticket. Since your from out of state I don't think they will hassle you.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I live in Orange County (Southern California), and I'd say about 10-15% of the cars in my local area don't have front plates. I'd never thought about it until I bought the Vette. I've had mine 9 months and never been stopped. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen another Vette around here with front plates (and I'm a waver, so I notice a lot of them).

Also, my kid hauler mini van has never had a front plate on it (11 years). I wouldn't stress about it too much.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:12 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ibking
I have been driving with out a front plate for years and it's just a fix it ticket. Since your from out of state I don't think they will hassle you.

Your biggest issue will be congestion and road condition. Freeways in the greater Bay Area are crumbling. You will need to keep your distance from cars ahead so you can see potholes in time to avoid them.

Welcome to the land governed by fruits and nuts. Enjoy your visit.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:16 PM
ub2slow2

And you won't be able to get a Happy Meal in San Fran cuz those land of fruit and nuts outlawed them.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:22 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I drove in CA (Bay area) for 16 years without a front plate and never got pulled over for it.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:30 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The CHP followed my neighbor into a gas station in Baker and gave him a no front plate ticket. No other offense. When he took it to the local CHP office to have them sign off on it they wanted to give him another ticket for tinted windows. He took it to the local police station and they wrote it off with no mention about the windows. So many cities are having financial problems these days that they are looking for revenue any way they can get. For that reason I installed mine last week after driving for six years without it.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Out of state registration-no issue
Old 06-18-2011, 12:34 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is far better food in the SF Bay Area than happy meals, good riddance to those!
I would only caution you to be speed careful coming out of Sacramento south bound on the I-80 for about 30 miles or so. CHP runs a lot of speed traps along with employing CHP Mustangs, Camaros and other unusual patrol cars. They also use air patrols from time to time....
With out-of-state plates/registration you will not be stopped or cited for no front plate, extra loud exhaust or anything of that nature. Calif is not **** about such things and is not ticket happy with cars from out of state. The Carolinas this is not....but if you care to make a donation to our state coffers, be our guest!
Old 06-18-2011, 01:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
Out of state registration-no issue
exactly. Many states allow no front plate, many allow dark tint. Calif can't give you a ticket for violating Utah law, so no issue. As stated above, you will have much bigger (and deeper) things to worry about in Calif.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
The CHP followed my neighbor into a gas station in Baker and gave him a no front plate ticket. No other offense. When he took it to the local CHP office to have them sign off on it they wanted to give him another ticket for tinted windows. He took it to the local police station and they wrote it off with no mention about the windows. So many cities are having financial problems these days that they are looking for revenue any way they can get. For that reason I installed mine last week after driving for six years without it.
But your neighbor's car was registered in Calif.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:33 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

I've been in Cali since 95 and have never had a front plate on any of my vehicles. If they pull you over for something else like speeding, maybe they might give you a fix it ticket for that.
I wouldn't worry to much about that.

DJ
Old 06-18-2011, 02:10 PM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't sweat it. Just come and enjoy. They won't bother you. I have been driving without one for 3 years and the only thing cops do is pull up beside me and ask/talk about the car. I've been pulled over a lot for no front plate on my other NON-corvette cars but vettes get a lot of love from cops and even CHP(all over SoCal at least)
Old 06-18-2011, 02:37 PM
GRG
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Go to topflightrepo.com and get the removable front license bracket (and color matched license frame if you want it). No hole drilling or anything like that. When you get home take it off. You can't tell you ever had a front plate. No front plate is just another reason to stop you.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:52 PM
0H&K VetteAccessories
Former Vendor

My understanding is that a "fix-it-ticket" costs $57 in CA. However the folks in San Francisco charge double or $114 for the same ticket. Check out our removable bracket offered by H&K Vette Accessories for C6 Grand Sport and Z06 Vettes.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Mach 25
Advanced

Originally Posted by GRG
Go to topflightrepo.com and get the removable front license bracket (and color matched license frame if you want it). No hole drilling or anything like that. When you get home take it off. You can't tell you ever had a front plate. No front plate is just another reason to stop you.
Thanks much to all responders...I'm familiar with the topflightrepo stuff and just prefer to not use it. I'll just take a chance...I'm willing to pay the fine (pay to play you know)
Old 06-18-2011, 03:15 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ibking

47 years of driving, never had a front plate, never had a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone from California...Question

Old 06-18-2011, 03:53 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr

47 years of driving, never had a front plate, never had a problem.

25 years here with the same story.

If you're driving a beat up car w/o a front plate and look like you may be trouble, that's when they will use that excuse to stop you. --My LEO friends tell me this all the time.

In the Corvette, you are most likely going to be looked at for speeding first and foremost, so watch yourself and if you don't have one, get a radar detector (I prefer Valentine One). The CHP uses KA band and have recently upped the LIDAR enforcement.

As mentioned previously, watch I-80 from Reno to Sacramento. I was just up in the area camping and they were on a serious mission to increase the state's bank account. 1 LIDAR car hidden, 95% out of view and 5-9 chase cars 1/2 a mile up around a curve. They are using a lot of the new Dodge cars painted dark blue/gray w/o light bars too.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no fine associated with a Fix-It ticket in the state of California! Now maybe some local law enforcement need to make some coin, but not Jerry Brown's CHP! Been here for 40+ years and to me it is Calif or California, not CALI! Just as San Francisco is not ever called Frisco! Frisco is a little town in the Rocky Mtns of Colorado....sorry, just needed a little soap box time!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:25 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KX
There is no fine associated with a Fix-It ticket in the state of California! Now maybe some local law enforcement need to make some coin, but not Jerry Brown's CHP! Been here for 40+ years and to me it is Calif or California, not CALI! Just as San Francisco is not ever called Frisco! Frisco is a little town in the Rocky Mtns of Colorado....sorry, just needed a little soap box time!
Touchy are we?

DJ

Quick Reply: Anyone from California...Question