C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone from California...Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:28 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KX
There is no fine associated with a Fix-It ticket in the state of California! Now maybe some local law enforcement need to make some coin, but not Jerry Brown's CHP! Been here for 40+ years and to me it is Calif or California, not CALI! Just as San Francisco is not ever called Frisco! Frisco is a little town in the Rocky Mtns of Colorado....sorry, just needed a little soap box time!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by KX
There is no fine associated with a Fix-It ticket in the state of California!
What's been happening of late is that what used to be fixit tickets are being written up under other sections of the vehicle code that DO cost money. It happened to my wife for her blacked-out taillamps (C6) and it was NOT a fixit ticket. It cost some $260 and they couldn't have cared less if you fixed it.

And the one time I did get a front plate ticket (about 10 years ago) I got it signed off *and* it cost me some $35 or so, as well.

Z//
Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
What's been happening of late is that what used to be fixit tickets are being written up under other sections of the vehicle code that DO cost money. It happened to my wife for her blacked-out taillamps (C6) and it was NOT a fixit ticket. It cost some $260 and they couldn't have cared less if you fixed it.

And the one time I did get a front plate ticket (about 10 years ago) I got it signed off *and* it cost me some $35 or so, as well.

Z//
I can see where that could happen as the ONLY time I got a fix-it was when a CHP pulled me off the 5 at San Clement for chasing a Viper up the hill! Got me a nasty ticket for that but then he looked at the front of my ZR-1 and tossed in the fix it for no front plate, just for good measure. No cost for the fix it. My younger son recently got a fix it for window tint being too dark...however, my ladies son-in law is a LEO & he signed off on it. No fine!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:03 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Just obey the law, and you shouldn't get pulled over. But, if for some strange reason you do get pulled over, be nice, not kissey kissey nice, just be respectful.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:15 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by KX
There is no fine associated with a Fix-It ticket in the state of California! Now maybe some local law enforcement need to make some coin, but not Jerry Brown's CHP! Been here for 40+ years and to me it is Calif or California, not CALI! Just as San Francisco is not ever called Frisco! Frisco is a little town in the Rocky Mtns of Colorado....sorry, just needed a little soap box time!
And having been to both 'Friscos', I know which one I would want to live in.....and it's not the one where they have a problem with the name....
Old 06-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KX
I can see where that could happen as the ONLY time I got a fix-it was when a CHP pulled me off the 5 at San Clement for chasing a Viper up the hill! Got me a nasty ticket for that but then he looked at the front of my ZR-1 and tossed in the fix it for no front plate, just for good measure. No cost for the fix it.
My wife's ticket came during rush hour in 35 mph traffic on 101. She was doing nada illegal. Not even close. My ticket came with the car PARKED in a parking lot (at the Mount Hamilton observatory - the local Barney Fife was bagging his monthly quota... )

Z//
Old 06-19-2011, 10:16 AM
deltadude
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are driving a vette and your destination is Oakland, the least of your problems is worrying about a front license plate.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 AM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
My wife's ticket came during rush hour in 35 mph traffic on 101. She was doing nada illegal. Not even close. My ticket came with the car PARKED in a parking lot (at the Mount Hamilton observatory - the local Barney Fife was bagging his monthly quota... )

Z//
If you were in the Mount Hamilton parking lot at the time the ticket was written, that should not of happened. You were on private property and the officer has no jurist diction there unless it's an emergency or was called by someone that owns the property. Even if someone called the police, all they are allowed to do is write a police reports and not issue citations. But once you leave the parking lot, you're fair game.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Mach 25
Advanced

Originally Posted by deltadude
If you are driving a vette and your destination is Oakland, the least of your problems is worrying about a front license plate.
Don't understand??? What kind of problems are you talking about. Anything wrong with Oakland other than roads and traffic?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blackmagicZ
If you were in the Mount Hamilton parking lot at the time the ticket was written, that should not of happened. You were on private property and the officer has no jurist diction there unless it's an emergency or was called by someone that owns the property. Even if someone called the police, all they are allowed to do is write a police reports and not issue citations. But once you leave the parking lot, you're fair game.
Off topic but...

A group (maybe 20 cars) of us MR2 owners took a leisurely drive up the mountain to the telescope. Just outside of the entrance to the facility on what I presume is a public road, sits Barney The Hutt in his sheriff's SUV. He scopes out every car as it comes by - noting our criminal acts - and then follows us into the facility, extracts himself from the vehicle, and then slowly Jabbas his *** around writing license plate tickets. What a ****. Ten years later it still pisses me off big time thinking about it.

Z//
Old 06-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mach 25
Don't understand??? What kind of problems are you talking about. Anything wrong with Oakland other than roads and traffic?
You can think of parts of Oakland as "West Coast Detroit". Pretty much *every* morning's news casts here start out with "man/woman/child shot/killed in Oakland."

Not good.

That's certainly not *all* of Oakland, mind you, but around here that's where a lot of folks' brains go to when we hear the name.

Z//
Old 06-19-2011, 12:08 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mach 25:

To be as kind as possible....Oakland has a less than stellar reputation when it comes to great places to live. The crime rate can be a bit high, gangs do circulate, and by now, Jack London Square should be nearly in ruins. Hookers do their thing in certain areas of town, etc. It is one of those places where you do not want to take the wrong exit off the freeway driving a Corvette.
Even back in the 60's & 70's things were a bit sketchy here and there. Piedmont is a very upscale community and Berkeley will always be "Bezerkley" but it is safe. The city sort of emulates it's base of Raiders fans...black & silver weirdness coupled with an "we are tough attitude" that gets them no respect & many less wins! You can talk tough & show tough but you must play tough to beat teams like the Steelers & Packers! I spent some time in the past working with Ken Stabler when he was the biggest star in Oaklands dark sky. But back then they could play NFL style football....
Old 06-19-2011, 12:14 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I wonder if there is a connection.........Jerry Brown was the mayor of Oakland, now he's the governor of Calif. Maybe he can work on making the whole state more like his 'success' in Oakland....
Old 06-19-2011, 02:10 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Just be careful, I hear some areas in Oakland are really, REALLY rough..
Old 06-19-2011, 02:50 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I have been ticketed twice for no front plates in Los Angeles. Its just a fix-it ticket.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Mach 25
Advanced

Originally Posted by KX
Mach 25:

To be as kind as possible....Oakland has a less than stellar reputation when it comes to great places to live. The crime rate can be a bit high, gangs do circulate, and by now, Jack London Square should be nearly in ruins. Hookers do their thing in certain areas of town, etc. It is one of those places where you do not want to take the wrong exit off the freeway driving a Corvette.....
You convinced me!! Thanks for the input. I'm just a country boy from Utah! I think I'll stay at a friends place in Livermore and have my Oakland folks come visit me there.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:59 PM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Forget Oakland, its ghetto, I'd visit downtown SF All of the interesting places is just across the 80 bay bridge. As far as your plate, I wouldn't worry abt it since u have out of state plate.

Last edited by DJackman; 06-19-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone from California...Question

Old 06-19-2011, 11:48 PM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Watch your speed if you go through South Lake Tahoe. I see people pulled over pretty often. I rarely see no fewer than two LEO's anytime I am out.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:58 PM
dd229
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
I live in Orange County (Southern California), and I'd say about 10-15% of the cars in my local area don't have front plates. I'd never thought about it until I bought the Vette. I've had mine 9 months and never been stopped. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen another Vette around here with front plates (and I'm a waver, so I notice a lot of them).

Also, my kid hauler mini van has never had a front plate on it (11 years). I wouldn't stress about it too much.
The only place I've heard of someone having a problem is parking in the airport parking lots. It's a great source of revenue for them. I've been without a front plate for about 7 years now with no problem.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:21 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by dd229
The only place I've heard of someone having a problem is parking in the airport parking lots. It's a great source of revenue for them. I've been without a front plate for about 7 years now with no problem.
LAX parking lots are the worst place. $25 ticket. There could care less if you ever put a plate on.

Quick Reply: Anyone from California...Question