C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top 5 Corvette Forum Fails!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Top 5 Corvette Forum Fails!

OK, I really enjoy my daily check ins to the Corvette Forum. I’ve learned so much from you guys (and gals). Having participated in other online forums and groups, I can tell you, this group is really special.

That being said, I’ve watched a few threads here come off the rails time and time again. Now please understand, I’m not trying to target anybody individually. Just for a little bit of fun, I thought I’d share my top 5 Corvette Forum Fails:

5. “My wife/girl friend/daughter/mother/grandmother took the Vette out and [insert some nice scenario here]” -- This thread is usually about 3 posts deep before some guy posts a “This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures!”. Now as a guy myself, I know that’s what we’re all thinking. I get it. But that some guys have the ***** to express that sentiment creeps me out just a bit! FAIL!

4. “Is the GS really better than the ‘base’ model?” -- Forget threads in PRC, if you want a heated discussion, start one of these! I’m firmly convinced that the GS/base debate may be the actual cause of the next major global conflict! FAIL!

3. “Hey all, I just sold my Vette and bought a [insert some car name here]. I was looking for something new and the [insert some car name here] is just the greatest. Anyway, I might not be in this forum too much anymore. Here’s some pictures of my awesome new [insert some car name here].” -- Here the OP thinks the Corvette collective will be happy to hear that he’s moving on and trying new cars, hoping for a well wishing send off. The key here is the tone of the post. If the OP has a hardship or family matters to attend to, we’ll offer some kind words and be anxiously awaiting your return. If on the other hand the OP actually thinks this bunch is going to congratulate you on the purchase of that “chick car”....FAIL!

2. “I got a ticket!” -- The OP usually feels that they were somehow unfairly targeted by LEO and can’t understand why 70 in a residential neighborhood is somehow a problem. I’m sure the thinking is “I’ll share with my Corvette brethren and they’ll give me a little sympathy.” Typically this thread’s first response is harsh followed by a barrage of “what the heck were you thinking?”, “are you really going to confess to a felony in an online forum”, “can you really be that stupid?”, “you should be in jail!!” Sorry buddy...you did the crime, so man up and take the punishment. We just don’t care! FAIL!

1. Starting a thread about Forum Failures! -- I’ve started a few bone head threads myself over the past year. I’m pretty sure starting this thread will open myself up to harsher criticism the next time I start one. I’ve endured some pretty hilarious flames (Captain Picard last year comes to mind!), but I knew I deserved it. You know you’ve failed miserably when somebody eventually posts the little animated train wreck image!

Any more for my list?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:16 AM
ravill
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-17-2011, 11:18 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

I've got my flame suit on!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:23 AM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
OK, I really enjoy my daily check ins to the Corvette Forum. I’ve learned so much from you guys (and gals). Having participated in other online forums and groups, I can tell you, this group is really special.

That being said, I’ve watched a few threads here come off the rails time and time again. Now please understand, I’m not trying to target anybody individually. Just for a little bit of fun, I thought I’d share my top 5 Corvette Forum Fails:

5. “My wife/girl friend/daughter/mother/grandmother took the Vette out and [insert some nice scenario here]” -- This thread is usually about 3 posts deep before some guy posts a “This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures!”. Now as a guy myself, I know that’s what we’re all thinking. I get it. But that some guys have the ***** to express that sentiment creeps me out just a bit! FAIL!

4. “Is the GS really better than the ‘base’ model?” -- Forget threads in PRC, if you want a heated discussion, start one of these! I’m firmly convinced that the GS/base debate may be the actual cause of the next major global conflict! FAIL!

3. “Hey all, I just sold my Vette and bought a [insert some car name here]. I was looking for something new and the [insert some car name here] is just the greatest. Anyway, I might not be in this forum too much anymore. Here’s some pictures of my awesome new [insert some car name here].” -- Here the OP thinks the Corvette collective will be happy to hear that he’s moving on and trying new cars, hoping for a well wishing send off. The key here is the tone of the post. If the OP has a hardship or family matters to attend to, we’ll offer some kind words and be anxiously awaiting your return. If on the other hand the OP actually thinks this bunch is going to congratulate you on the purchase of that “chick car”....FAIL!

2. “I got a ticket!” -- The OP usually feels that they were somehow unfairly targeted by LEO and can’t understand why 70 in a residential neighborhood is somehow a problem. I’m sure the thinking is “I’ll share with my Corvette brethren and they’ll give me a little sympathy.” Typically this thread’s first response is harsh followed by a barrage of “what the heck were you thinking?”, “are you really going to confess to a felony in an online forum”, “can you really be that stupid?”, “you should be in jail!!” Sorry buddy...you did the crime, so man up and take the punishment. We just don’t care! FAIL!

1. Starting a thread about Forum Failures! -- I’ve started a few bone head threads myself over the past year. I’m pretty sure starting this thread will open myself up to harsher criticism the next time I start one. I’ve endured some pretty hilarious flames (Captain Picard last year comes to mind!), but I knew I deserved it. You know you’ve failed miserably when somebody eventually posts the little animated train wreck image!

Any more for my list?
Very good and all true!

I have always felt that threads that begin with:

"So should I get a Red or Black Vette" or "Should I get an Auto or Manual" are just set up fail from the start.

I mean...geez, who has that little decision making ability that they come to an open fourm to have other people tell you what car color to get??...Big time fail! IMO.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Who Needs Turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Along those lines, any thread which is about noise/vibration/handling invariably has someone telling you to "get rid of the GY runcraps". Seems to be the fix-all solution, like duct tape for Corvettes.

I had a missing bolt from my rear A-arm and someone wanted to blame the runflats for the floating rear end while going in straight lines
Old 06-17-2011, 11:29 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Gees....I forgot the Auto vs. Manual debate.....always ends with somebody posting "Automatic transmissions are ghey!"....FAIL!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I respect your opinions but from my perspective this is merely an Internet forum. Yes, it's censored with imposed rules of the road but otherwise it's all good. If someone want to compare the GS to the 'base' C6 or the automatic to the manual transmission; start a thread about their traffic ticket; post about their new (non-Corvette) car purchase; request pics of the girlfriend or talk about forum failures it's fine by me. This is precisely the place to share expertise, experiences, information, comments, humor and especially opinions (both pro and con) freely. If you don't like something don't read it, don't comment or just move-on to something else. IMO the forum is a better place for the variety of subject matter and the range of comments.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 AM
aks801
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gees....I forgot the Auto vs. Manual debate.....always ends with somebody posting "Automatic transmissions are ghey!"....FAIL!
Auto v. Manual seems to be the most contentious, indeed. Amazing how so many people feel their own concept of what the car should be is in fact the concept that everyone should and must share.

Another fail thread is: Oil - Natural or Synthetic?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 AM
hankg42
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm kind of partial to the "comfortable vs. uncomfortable seats" debates.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seriously these types of threads and posts give us something laugh at. Not all people are perfect and can make weird statements all the time. Myself included. It's called human nature.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off I think the GS vs ZO6 debate is much more heated than the base vs GS debate. ZO6 elitists have a lot to say about their beloved body panels being used.

Threads like, "what kind of windsheild wiper fluid are you guys using" is always a nice treat.

However the BIGGEST THREAD GONE WRONG AWARD has to go to Shelly and her JSB conv't GS. I cringed through that thread.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

My favorite:

Top 5 Corvette Forum Fails!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:48 AM
xBrahmaBullx
Racer

St. Jude Donor '11

Old 06-17-2011, 11:49 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I can't get over how many non c6 related topics get posted in this section!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:51 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

I agree with you Wayne O. I would never ever want to stifle any opinions. The original post is just meant to be a little commentary on threads that typically start with good intentions, but with the nature of online forums, they often morph into a train wreck. I continue to read every one of them. I post when I feel I have something meaningful to share.

I've always enjoyed the fact that people will often share thoughts and opinions online that they would never share in casual conversation with strangers. I think secretly we all enjoy the train wrecks too!

Last edited by DigitalWidgets; 06-17-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:51 AM
rmedina
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I still do not understand why there is a political aka Obama Bashing section..
Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Sorry. Couldn't resist...

Get notified of new replies

To Top 5 Corvette Forum Fails!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my favorite Forum Fails, (and this is common in all forums),is when the genuine newbie strolls in with a question seemingly stupid, or "everybody knows this." Then some weathered Forum Jockey, rails the newbie with, "SERACH IS YOUR FRIEND." Give the newbie a break. Here in this forum, we aren't that bad. But man let me tell you! In a few Harley, Toyota, and other Chevy forums, they are down right evil! (FAIL)
Old 06-17-2011, 12:08 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by OneBadZ06
Very good and all true!

I have always felt that threads that begin with:

"So should I get a Red or Black Vette" or "Should I get an Auto or Manual" are just set up fail from the start.

I mean...geez, who has that little decision making ability that they come to an open fourm to have other people tell you what car color to get??...Big time fail! IMO.
Originally Posted by Who Needs Turbo
Along those lines, any thread which is about noise/vibration/handling invariably has someone telling you to "get rid of the GY runcraps". Seems to be the fix-all solution, like duct tape for Corvettes.

I had a missing bolt from my rear A-arm and someone wanted to blame the runflats for the floating rear end while going in straight lines
Originally Posted by hankg42
I'm kind of partial to the "comfortable vs. uncomfortable seats" debates.
with all the above and the top 5,,,,
Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
aks801
Drifting

Ooh, another one!

When a Newb comes in on their very first post after seeing something that gets their blood boiling, and just blasts with both barrels something a forum veteran posted, all the while not really understanding what they just waded into.

Ask me how I know....

Quick Reply: Top 5 Corvette Forum Fails!