C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard vs Z06 Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Another anti-Z06 myth is born..........along with wondering when the LS7 will grenade itself, now I get to wonder when the frame will collapse as I pick up my Dunkin Donuts iced coffee
It's eating the donuts that will overstress your frame, aluminum or steel.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:49 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
It's eating the donuts that will overstress your frame, aluminum or steel.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:02 PM
JPN7075U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was only curious because I may purchase a Z06 while still keeping my Z51. On airplanes, the harder aluminum alloys crack worse than the softer ones. Airplanes like to flex. If they don't flex then stuff breaks. I also have a friend with the big Yamaha cruiser, maybe dreamliner? that had a hairline crack develop in his cast aluminum frame. I'm sort of curious why chevy would spend tons extra for that frame to lose 140 lbs? Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of the Z06 frame in aluminum.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by JPN7075U
I was only curious because I may purchase a Z06 while still keeping my Z51. On airplanes, the harder aluminum alloys crack worse than the softer ones. Airplanes like to flex. If they don't flex then stuff breaks. I also have a friend with the big Yamaha cruiser, maybe dreamliner? that had a hairline crack develop in his cast aluminum frame. I'm sort of curious why chevy would spend tons extra for that frame to lose 140 lbs? Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of the Z06 frame in aluminum.
GM also uses low production vehicles as testbeds. Limits their exposure, if things don't work out as expected.

Knowing that gas mileage standards are going to continue to go up, they are looking for ways to save gas, not just in the corvette but accross the lineup. The only way for them to get some real world long life testing of an aluminum frame is to build some cars and put them out there for testing. That doesn't mean that they shortchanged anyone on their engineering, as they have a pretty good idea as to the results before putting something new into production. Dana builds the aluminum frame for GM and they also wanted to gain real world experience in building aluminum frames.

I have a Z06, and I'm not a bit concerned about the aluminum frame failing.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:05 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by LTSpeed
The Z06 uses A6063-T5 4mm thick aluminum. As hydroformed, it's about 97% as rigid as the standard C6 steel frame (though yield is higher).
Someone earlier mention 7075 as being much stronger. While that's true, it's probably impossible to hydroform--at least as the technology exists today. Plus, there could be corrosion issues with 7075.

I don't think aluminum would be a good cage locating material as its so much softer then steel personally i feel that the bolts for mounting plates would be very prone to ripping out of their locating holes in the frame.
Choosing the correct alloy, temper, and process for the application sometimes has cost as a consideration. Aircraft use trumps cost due to the simple fact that failure is almost always catastrophic and involves human life. While most aircraft components are extremely weight conscious, materials such as lead and depleted uranium are also used.

6063 alloy, especially in T5 temper, is most commonly used for extrusions where the stresses are lower priority than cost or finish. I'm not saying you can't hydroform 6063-T5 or that it isn't what's being used, but it certainly wouldn't be high on my list of choices.

The 7075 and 6061 alloys are easily formed in the 0 condition and then heat treated (aged) to T4 or T6. Not only are these hard when aged, but are flexible and easy to machine.

Cracks can occur in cast aluminum and are more common just like in cast iron, but the alloys are different.

Without knowing the specific criteria for the development of the Z06, I could speculate that GM wanted to continue their racing program and the standard C6 was not quite enough to dominate GT2. Then meeting the minimum volume requirements also allowed a streetable version to be sold to the general public for a premium. The minimum requirements for NHRA legal cars is 50 production units, but they were usually all sold to hand-picked buyers who never licensed them. It just depends on the rules of the game you want to play.

Quick Reply: Standard vs Z06 Chassis