C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Window tint problems on All Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Vinyl=no brainier.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pittperson
Ditto on the black vinyl, that is what I had done to mine. Just as good as paint and not permanent.
Same here!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:09 PM
San Diego Tony
Navigator

Default Rear Window tint problems on All Corvettes

The best way to deal with the dot matrix is to cover it with vinyl. I purchased my ’08 all ready tinted with a great tint job. The tint installer used one piece to cover the rear window. The tint film started to raise a little around the larger dots after a couple of years. A few shops I checked out recommended to use the vinyl, so a choose a shop and went with vinyl. They were able to keep my old tint and just cut out around the dot matrix, and apply a piece if vinyl over the dots, and matched up the vinyl to the existing tint film. It looks great!

The point I want to make is that I have had two great installations with both full tint and tint with vinyl, and vinyl looks so much better. This is because we have the dark back (whatever it is) around the window perimeter from the factory, and when you add the black vinyl it looks like a continuation of this factory look. It also enhances the “look” of the back window.

All this to say, I would recommend that you call around to various tint shops and asked if they have done corvettes, and if they say yes, then ask they how they do the rear window. If they explain to you that they recommend using the vinyl because it sticks better and looks better, then they probably know what they are talking about. Also, all the tint shops experienced with corvettes, all told me they sand the dots prior to application.

Hope this helps you. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:54 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

I had mine done with no paint, sanding or vinyl and it looks great!

Find someone that knows what theyre doing.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:28 AM
06z06_427
Advanced

Does the vinyl have any issues raising around the dots?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 AM
liledh
Cruising

My installer put a piece of vinyl over the dots and blacked them out. It looks good.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 AM
C6 Don
Instructor

Originally Posted by SoonerC5
What are those bloomin dots for anyway?
Bump up cuz I want to know too!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:59 AM
San Diego Tony
Navigator

Originally Posted by 06z06_427
Does the vinyl have any issues raising around the dots?
No issues with the vinyl. The vinyl is a much heavier material, therefore much more durable. It sticks better and is more resistant to the solar rays. Did I mention it looks so much better than the tint film
Old 07-10-2011, 07:15 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Don

Here ya go...

Windshield glass contains a black enamel band (called the frit) around the periphery that is baked into the glass. This black band includes a border of dots. The band has an etched surface to enable adhesive to bond to the glass, says a sales manager at Able Auto Glass. When car manufacturers install the windshield, they bond the windshield to the vehicle with adhesive placed on the etched part of the black enamel glass area (inside surface). The outside of the enamel band shades the adhesive from the Sun and protects it from ultraviolet radiation. The band also serves a cosmetic purpose by covering up the adhesive and gives the windshield edge "a more finished look."
Old 07-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If perfection is your thing have the dot matrix painted or covered with vinyl. I didn't want to go that route. I used a local tint shop that handles tinting for the dealership....they were experienced doing Corvette glass. I felt sorry for the guy....after spending hours on the hatch glass he wasn't happy with it so he ripped it out and started over. When finished, there were a couple very small areas of imperfection on the dot matrix. For the next couple of days I parked the car in the Arizona sunshine and then I'd 'massage' the problem areas so the film would conform to the dots. I fixed most all of the small problem area. To find the little spot where the film isn't lying perfect you really have to get up close and personal. There is nothing IMO that detracts from the overall appearance of the car. I don't enter my car in beauty pageants. I'm satisfied with how it turned out.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 PM
dwwwwg
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Wayne O
If perfection is your thing have the dot matrix painted or covered with vinyl. I didn't want to go that route. I used a local tint shop that handles tinting for the dealership....they were experienced doing Corvette glass. I felt sorry for the guy....after spending hours on the hatch glass he wasn't happy with it so he ripped it out and started over. When finished, there were a couple very small areas of imperfection on the dot matrix. For the next couple of days I parked the car in the Arizona sunshine and then I'd 'massage' the problem areas so the film would conform to the dots. I fixed most all of the small problem area. To find the little spot where the film isn't lying perfect you really have to get up close and personal. There is nothing IMO that detracts from the overall appearance of the car. I don't enter my car in beauty pageants. I'm satisfied with how it turned out.
Thks for the good info DG
Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 PM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this might sound stupid but the vinyl goes on the inside of the window right?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 PM
06z06_427
Advanced

How hard is it to remove the dots?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:10 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
this might sound stupid but the vinyl goes on the inside of the window right?
Yes
Originally Posted by 06z06_427
How hard is it to remove the dots?
I do not know anyone who has tried to remove them. Just go the vinyl route, I did and it came out great.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker

Originally Posted by C6 Don
Originally Posted by SoonerC5
What are those bloomin dots for anyway?

Here ya go...

Quote:
Windshield glass contains a black enamel band (called the frit) around the periphery that is baked into the glass. This black band includes a border of dots. The band has an etched surface to enable adhesive to bond to the glass, says a sales manager at Able Auto Glass. When car manufacturers install the windshield, they bond the windshield to the vehicle with adhesive placed on the etched part of the black enamel glass area (inside surface). The outside of the enamel band shades the adhesive from the Sun and protects it from ultraviolet radiation. The band also serves a cosmetic purpose by covering up the adhesive and gives the windshield edge "a more finished look."

Nice to know!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:38 PM
superstreet
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by gp56
You need to have black vinyl put over the upper dot matrix section on the inside of the glass and then have them tint up to the vinyl. You will have a perfect looking tint job then.
That's how we did ours.

Actually, you can tint over the dot matrix if you really lightly scuff over the matrix with a Scotch Brite pad dipped in a water diluted liquid dishwasher detergent solution which helps "lube" the surface so the pad won't grab and cut the glass.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Just go with a vert, NO DOTS, no prob ...

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Window tint problems on All Corvettes

Old 07-14-2011, 03:56 PM
superstreet
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Thrash
Just go with a vert, NO DOTS, no prob ...
Are we biased?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 AM
distinction
3rd Gear

are there any cert.tinters in nc who can tint the rear window on a c6?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:02 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DWWWG let us know how the guy in Ontario ended up doing and if you are happy.I would like mine done and might be worth the trip if he is that good...Thanks

Quick Reply: Rear Window tint problems on All Corvettes