C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part Numbers for Caliper Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 04:51 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Part Numbers for Caliper Bolts?

I'm looking for the GM part numbers for the brake caliper bolts for my '08 coupe. The service manual says not to reuse the old ones. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Blaq Ops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you started this thread. copper banjo washers also. Sorry for piggybacking.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

The part# is 14084051 and you'll need 2 per caliper x 4 calipers = 8 bolts. Forum vendor Gene Culley's http://gmpartshouse.com website shows a list price of $6.65, but his forum discount is $4.93 each, so that's about $40 plus shipping.

I'm not going to tell you what to do regarding an important safety system like the brakes!!!

And, yes - the Service Manual tells the dealership Techs to use new ones.

However.....many of us have reused the calipers bolts many, many times.

Those of that track our Z06's find that the best method of changing brake pads is to just remove the caliper. I've done it on my car a dozen times, and always have reused the bolts.

Here's a picture of a bolt:

You can see that blue loctite on there. I didn't put that on the bolt, that's the way they come when you get a new one - the loctite is already on the bolt. And that, I think, is the main reason the manual tells the Techs to use a new bolt. That way they don't have to clean off the old loctite and reapply new loctite.

This is not a torque to yield bolt. You do torque the bolt to a fairly high spec of 129 ft-lbs, but it doesn't overstress the bolt so it's a one-time use bolt.

I used to take a wire brush and clean off the old loctite, then when reinstalling I'd put on a new shot of loctite. But, that only lasted for about one pad swap, then I just started putting the old bolt back in and torquing it down to spec. I've never had a problem, but I am checking them all time when prepping for a track event. If it were on my street car I'd probably clean the bolt and put on new loctite.

So....the brakes are an important safety system on the car, so do what the Service Manual says, unless......

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-11-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:26 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaq Ops
Glad you started this thread. copper banjo washers also. Sorry for piggybacking.
I don't feel like spending $50 or $60 on new bolts every time I swap brake pads.

However, the only time I ever removed my calipers was to install the SS hoses, and they came with new copper crush washers.

The list on the washer is 68 cents, so if I were doing something like removing the calipers to get them powercoated or to rebuild them, I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks for new crush washers.

I would recommend you get new copper crush washers when reinstalling the flex hoses to your calipers - they're very cheap, and you aren't removing/reinstalling the hose very often.

The part# is 21012386 and they are the same on virtually all GM vehicles so you can go to any Chevy, Cadillac, Buick, GM, etc. dealership that is close to you and they should have them. Most parts stores will probably have them - they're probably the same on other manufacturer's vehicles as well.

Just MHO, YMMV!

Bob
Old 06-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Blaq Ops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I don't feel like spending $50 or $60 on new bolts every time I swap brake pads.

However, the only time I ever removed my calipers was to install the SS hoses, and they came with new copper crush washers.

The list on the washer is 68 cents, so if I were doing something like removing the calipers to get them powercoated or to rebuild them, I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks for new crush washers.

I would recommend you get new copper crush washers when reinstalling the flex hoses to your calipers - they're very cheap, and you aren't removing/reinstalling the hose very often.

The part# is 21012386 and they are the same on virtually all GM vehicles so you can go to any Chevy, Cadillac, Buick, GM, etc. dealership that is close to you and they should have them. Most parts stores will probably have them - they're probably the same on other manufacturer's vehicles as well.

Just MHO, YMMV!

Bob
Thanks. My calipers are being powdercoated by Mike on Moday and just wanted to have everything for when they returned. I'm only getting the washers now.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just about every manufacturer says to replace these bolts when installing new brake pads. Depending on the car and how often the pads are replaced, I usually replace them after every other brake change. Some caliper bolts are cheap (a few dollars) and others are rather expensive ($5 to $10 each). For a shop, it's cheaper for the customer to replace them then the time it takes to clean off the loctite.

Most auto parts stores will have replacement caliper bolts. Makes it easier (and cheaper) than getting them from a dealership or from GM parts.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Actually most independent shops don't replace them either. They don't locktite them either. They do just like the track guys do. Run the used bolts in with an impact wrench and don't bother with a torque wrench. Been doing that with every pad/rotor change on the Z. Did it for every rotor change on the C5s. Have never had one come loose and I take them off 15 to 20 times per year.

Bill
Old 06-12-2011, 12:29 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
The part# is 14084051 and you'll need 2 per caliper x 4 calipers = 8 bolts. Forum vendor Gene Culley's http://gmpartshouse.com website shows a list price of $6.65, but his forum discount is $4.93 each, so that's about $40 plus shipping.

I'm not going to tell you what to do regarding an important safety system like the brakes!!!

And, yes - the Service Manual tells the dealership Techs to use new ones.

However.....many of us have reused the calipers bolts many, many times.

Those of that track our Z06's find that the best method of changing brake pads is to just remove the caliper. I've done it on my car a dozen times, and always have reused the bolts.

Here's a picture of a bolt:

You can see that blue loctite on there. I didn't put that on the bolt, that's the way they come when you get a new one - the loctite is already on the bolt. And that, I think, is the main reason the manual tells the Techs to use a new bolt. That way they don't have to clean off the old loctite and reapply new loctite.

This is not a torque to yield bolt. You do torque the bolt to a fairly high spec of 129 ft-lbs, but it doesn't overstress the bolt so it's a one-time use bolt.

I used to take a wire brush and clean off the old loctite, then when reinstalling I'd put on a new shot of loctite. But, that only lasted for about one pad swap, then I just started putting the old bolt back in and torquing it down to spec. I've never had a problem, but I am checking them all time when prepping for a track event. If it were on my street car I'd probably clean the bolt and put on new loctite.

So....the brakes are an important safety system on the car, so do what the Service Manual says, unless......

Bob
Thanks for that good information, Bob. I believe that I'll just reuse the bolts with some new loctite and then torque them to spec. Since I don't track my car, I'm going to save a few bucks. Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some reason fro replacing them that I had not though of.

John
Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Thanks for the referral. I would be happy to help you out should you decide to change them.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 06-12-2011, 08:47 AM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Good info...added to the C6 FAQ.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,819 Likes on 2,064 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

If you clean the OEM locktite off and put new liquid locktite on, don't you have to lower the torque number for installation? I'm thinking 65 lb ft. That's what my Wilwoods called for during my brake installation.

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To Part Numbers for Caliper Bolts?

Quick Reply: Part Numbers for Caliper Bolts?