C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infamous Key Fob not detected

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 03:23 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_C6
Thanks for the reply. I haven't reprogrammed yet. I've tried all the other things you mentioned, with the battery, the contact prongs, stuck buttons, etc. What's puzzling is why one FOB works and the other one doesn't. They both worked 3 days ago. And then they both quit. I've put each of them in the FOB slot and now FOB 1 works fine again. FOB 2 will start the car from inside the FOB slot, but nothing else. No doors, locks, or start. Can't figure this one out.
Just want to verify what you mean by "They both worked 3 days ago.". Both fobs would start the car when not in the slot, and both fobs could unlock/lock doors when only one of them was present and the other fob was out of range?

Old 11-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Tony_C6
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Just want to verify what you mean by "They both worked 3 days ago.". Both fobs would start the car when not in the slot, and both fobs could unlock/lock doors when only one of them was present and the other fob was out of range?
That is correct. Could use either FOB, only one in the car at a time (not in the slot). But either one would work as normal. Then, all of the sudden, neither one would work, open the door or trunk, or start the car. I just assumed batteries may be low so I swapped them both. After that, FOB1 worked again as normal. FOB2 did not open the doors, trunk or start the car, but it will start the car when inserted in the FOB slot.

Last edited by Tony_C6; 11-16-2018 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ole Bird (03-07-2020)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:17 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Try swapping fob batteries from one to the other and see if the problem follows the battery.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Tony_C6
Cruising

Originally Posted by EVRose
Try swapping fob batteries from one to the other and see if the problem follows the battery.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've changed the batteries 3 times now. All brand new batteries, 3.3V put in correctly.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:40 PM
Tony_C6
Cruising

Does anyone know if there's actually any easy way to know if the Corvette Key FOB is transmitting? For instance, the smart key fob on my KIA has an LED that lights up when the buttons are pushed. I know you can buy an IR & RF tester, but would rather not spend $30-$40 to find out.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:51 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_C6
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've changed the batteries 3 times now. All brand new batteries, 3.3V put in correctly.
I meant take the battery out of the fob 1 and put it in fob 2. Since you know fob 1 has a good battery if fob 2 still doesn't work then it's a faulty fob and not the battery.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 PM
TonyC6
Pro

Originally Posted by EVRose
I meant take the battery out of the fob 1 and put it in fob 2. Since you know fob 1 has a good battery if fob 2 still doesn't work then it's a faulty fob and not the battery.
yeah I got that, but I was swapping brand new batteries so I know the batteries were good. Had to be something in the FOB. And I found it. This was the FOB that was my regular one so it got more use than the other one. I took the FOB apart and burnished all of the contacts with some ultra fine sandpaper, blew off the residue and put it back together. Voila, working again now. I had to do the same thing to the pressure switches in the door handles last year. I guess my baby and her parts are just getting old, like the owner.

But it once again I appreciate and thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences. That’s what makes this forum work.

Last edited by TonyC6; 11-16-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Ole Bird (03-07-2020)
Old 11-17-2018, 01:40 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Mine does the same thing but only when a USB charger is plugged into the center console 12V outlet.
07LeMansC6Z06 (05-06-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 08:09 AM
PUREVOL
Advanced

Default Key fob receiver

My key fobs won’t work even after replacing the batteries in them. They won’t even open the trunk lid but I can get in & out the car no problem. Could this be a bad receiver module?
Old 06-24-2019, 11:27 AM
Sschr4745
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up my 2005 last week, and it only had on key fob. I ordered another and took it to my local Chevy shop to have it programmed. During the process, they discovered the remote receiver is fried, so they are ordering me a new one.
It could very well be yours is dead also.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:41 PM
PUREVOL
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sschr4745
I picked up my 2005 last week, and it only had on key fob. I ordered another and took it to my local Chevy shop to have it programmed. During the process, they discovered the remote receiver is fried, so they are ordering me a new one.
It could very well be yours is dead also.
Turns out my cars battery was low. These cars are notorious for killing batteries..
Ole Bird (03-07-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 06:42 PM
81VETTOM
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

The dealer was supposed to install a new battery yesterday, in my 2005 Ok well it looked new but, Dead this AM. I went and got brand new battery did the 5 turn keys as it said no fob recognized. Went thru all that then no fob again. Unhooked the negative for 2 minutes, put back on and presto... I got start and fobs 1&2 plus the glove box one. Thanks for the info on this forum.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:08 PM
1gr8sailor
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thread may be old, but saved me today. I discovered the slot in the glove box due to this thread and it started.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:35 AM
Joe Hunter
2nd Gear

Default Key fob headaches..

Originally Posted by Lotus77777
I have a 2008 C6 manuall 6 speed. Starting today I drove to work and parked then went to go to lunch and now I get the message Key Fob not detected. I have FOB 1 and 2 here with me. I bought new Energizer batteries for both of them. I installed both batteries with the Positive side down.

I still get No fobs detected.

I then read in the owners manual that I can erase all FOBS and the Cars computer will reprogram them when NO recognized fobs are detected.

Please FOB in glovebox slot

Put your key in the trunk slot and turn 5 times fast.....I see on the DIC AutoLearn 10 minutes

Press Accessory to begin

Then after it counts down the 10 minutes it says Press Accessory again

This process per the manual is done 3 times in succession.

After the third 10 minute countdown I hear a beep and the DIC says Ready for Key FOB 1

Now here is the problem....the Manual says at this point when you see the Ready for Key Fob 1 message that all known transmitters have been erased.....

My problem is the FOB is still in the glove box slot and the message Ready for Key fob 1 goes away on the DIC after 5 minutes....So I dont know if I should Remove the FOB or what to do.

My question is for anyone who has Started from scratch to re program the fobs 1 and 2.

How long does the Ready for Key Fob 1 program last? In the manual it says after the Key Fob 1 is programmed that it will say Ready for Key Fob 2. That part never happens as the DIC just goes blank after 5 minutes using a stop watch.

Thanks
Mike

I’m sure this isn’t for every situation this issue has occurred, but for me.. it was a simple as replacing the vehicle’s battery. My fobs stopped working so I started putting 1 in the GB to start and run the car until that stopped working. So I thought it was going to be the fob reader behind the dash.. before I could take her anywhere I needed a new car battery. Once I put that in everything worked as if was brand new. So check your battery first!!

Last edited by Joe Hunter; 01-22-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:57 AM
msm07c6
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Hunter
I’m sure this isn’t for every situation this issue has occurred, but for me.. it was a simple as replacing the vehicle’s battery. My fobs stopped working so I started putting 1 in the GB to start and run the car until that stopped working. So I thought it was going to be the fob reader behind the dash.. before I could take her anywhere I needed a new car battery. Once I put that in everything worked as if was brand new. So check your battery first!!
Joe, did you have to do anything for the car to re-learn the fobs? I bought an '07 base model back in December which came with two fobs that were working initially, then only intermittently, and then not at all. This operational decay happened within the first week I had the car. I realized yesterday the AC Delco battery had a 4/2014 date code, so I replaced it yesterday though the car seemed to be functioning well otherwise (no issues with starting, etc.). I was hoping it would work to reset my fobs too, but no such luck. I've replaced the batteries in each fob, trying multiple batteries in case I bought one or a few that were bad right out of the pack, but that's not changed the results.

Questions to all that have reprogrammed...should I use the short program to reprogram one of the two fobs I have (e.g. move #2 to #3) or should I try the long program? Or, does it seem like I'm on the trail toward an RCDLR replacement? The car only has 16,000 miles and is otherwise in great condition...though I suppose electrical gremlins care more about years than usage.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:17 AM
Joe Hunter
2nd Gear

As for the fob re learn, nope. All was well. But I didn’t mess with tying to program it in the first place, I took mine to the dealer and they did it while I drank coffee. For the battery situation, I only run Interstate. It's a personal preference for sure. My battery went bad because I had a knee surgery and the card had to sit for a bit until I could use the clutch. But Interstate batteries for me is like franks red hot.. I put that s%8t on everything
msm07c6 (01-24-2021)
Old 02-14-2022, 04:40 AM
vettelover8306
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Hunter
As for the fob re learn, nope. All was well. But I didn’t mess with tying to program it in the first place, I took mine to the dealer and they did it while I drank coffee. For the battery situation, I only run Interstate. It's a personal preference for sure. My battery went bad because I had a knee surgery and the card had to sit for a bit until I could use the clutch. But Interstate batteries for me is like franks red hot.. I put that s%8t on everything
YEah I know I'm a year later but I agree with you about interstate battery had one in my 2005 for years that thing never gave me problems

Get notified of new replies

To Infamous Key Fob not detected

Old 11-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Lycagon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check your transmitter and try this also

I noticed my fob was not detected when leaving my C6. Then the door wouldn't open, so I got a new battery and cleaned up all the contacts and even wiped the coil down inside the fob. This fixed it, until I got in the car. It said no fob again but when I toggled to accessory mode then tried to start, it actually worked the first time. I had tried 20 times before that. This puzzles me still.
In any case, I figure it's best to start replacing parts that are cheapest, and since the issue might be with a $10 antenna that talks to the fob, I ordered one of those. If this fails again, I'll of course put the fob in the glovebox slot, which I've never tried. Not long ago I replaced the starter, and starter switch on the dash. The battery tests at 12.6v and is 10 months old with great connectors, so I don't think that's it. I'll replace this antenna in 2 days and update here. If you're not sure about your battery, have someone test the voltage as you start or try to start the car. If the voltage drops excessively, it means you have volts but not amps necessary to start it (so the voltage drops when amps bottom out temporarily). You mentioned Dino's , and they do now offer a lot of parts and repair to individuals. Their # 1-888-467-8388 or just find their website.
Ultimately I'd love to find a way to just completely bypass all the electronic junk in this C6 and go for hidden buttons that activate solenoids for the doors, maybe pin pad operated, and same to start the car. I've seen similar setups on BMW's , where a pin pad is used to start the vehicle. Somehow there must be a way to bypass this vin authentication mumbo jumbo in the bcm using a custom pcb.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:53 AM
MacB
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

After extensive experimentation with my 08, I can unequivocally state that my Iphone13 is the culprit that causes the no-fob message in my car. I've eliminated ther problem by waiting to pull the phone out of my left front pants pocket until after the car starts. Conversely, I always put the phone in my left pocket when shutting down rather than letting it sit in my Proclip phone holder. Problem solved!
Old 11-08-2023, 12:56 PM
Panda_GS
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MacB
After extensive experimentation with my 08, I can unequivocally state that my Iphone13 is the culprit that causes the no-fob message in my car. I've eliminated ther problem by waiting to pull the phone out of my left front pants pocket until after the car starts. Conversely, I always put the phone in my left pocket when shutting down rather than letting it sit in my Proclip phone holder. Problem solved!
I thought it was my phone causing issues with my GS, but I think its some other interference as the fob never works in my garage but works everywhere else.

Quick Reply: Infamous Key Fob not detected