C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy looking for some guidance

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:38 AM
greneggz2
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy looking for some guidance

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a while however I was hoping a few people could help me out.

I am currently looking for a C6 LS3, I can really only afford absolutely 40K max, hoping to stay under 36K. I am currently in love with white or black... tough choice.

My questions are:
Is there any way to differentiate the different trims of the C6? (ie the type of wheels, different visual cues etc.)
I am unable to decide whether I would like to get manual or auto. Mostly because I live in DC-area and the traffic is almost suicidal.
Does anyone know how heavy the stock clutch pedal is? is it like or heavy? How does it feel in stop in go traffic?
Also, how is the auto tranny? Are there flappy paddles on all autos? How solid/fun is the auto tranny for its engine? Or is it more like a camry transmission slapped on a V8?
(For instance I would love if it was a dual clutch automatic manual transmission similar to the newer Evolution X's.)
I have been doing some reading and reviews and heard that the 2008 (LS3) were, in general, improved all around. Is it worth limiting myself only to the 2008+ models.
My last request is: I wanna know the bad. Every car has its downsides, I would like to hear from long term owners, What they wish the would like to see different? Anything from bigger cup holders to better stock absorbers.

I am sure I will have more questions in the future.
Is there a sticky of useful information? Or things "new owners" should know?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Not to be sarcastic, but if you've been lurking here for awhile most of your questions you've seen from others and have been answered. For instance, there's a thread right now on "should I use a C6 as a daily commuter in NYC?" You may think NYC is a world apart, but it isn't.

The auto vs. manual trans threads go on forever, at least twice a week on here.

And there is no manumatic for C6s. Yet. Again, your reading on here would've told you that.

Finallly, if you want to know the bad, just read every thread that starts out with "I got a problem..." or thereabouts.

You won't go wrong with an LS2, but there is a difference betw. them and the LS3s, to answer one of your questions.

The way to find out about clutch pedal "heaviness" is to go test drive one, even if not new, find a used one.

You can't do everything from the keyboard. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Use the search button my man.

IMO, if I was to drive my Vette in much stop and go traffic I'd have an automatic trans.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 PM
drclaw
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine's an LS2, (06) manual, and I drive 66 from Prince William County to the Beltway, then up to Rockville, MD every day. 4 days a week I do it in a car with an auto transmission (HOV exemption on 66, if you live here you know what that means, and what kind of car I'm not admitting to driving) and on Friday when traffic is reduced I take the Corvette.

The clutch is a little springy to me, but honestly it's like any car: once you get used to the friction point, it becomes second nature.

I have driven it in miserable, non-hov traffic on 66 in the morning and afternoon. It's a rough haul, but you learn to leave a generous space cushion and keep it in 2nd gear. Also, it's given me an excuse to take longer but less traveled routes.

I have to say, the Corvette made my commute go from the worst part of my day to the best.

As for what I'd like to see different, I just keep the perspective that some things have to be compromised for performance. Sure, I'd love to have rain-sensing wipers or air-conditioned seats, but I didn't buy a Buick.

Another awesome thing about the car is the mod community has resolved most of the creature comfort issues, and a lot of the performance issues (if you have them, I don't!) So go buy it, and then make a hobby out of modding it. The guys on this forum are awesome at helping out.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I drive a C5 and a C6 in DC traffic. Both with manuals. C6 clutch is lighter than the C5's. C5 clutch is not a problem in the first place. DC traffic should not be a deciding factor in the manual vs. auto decision.

FWIW, I test drove on of the earlier flappy-paddle C6's and was very unfavorably impressed.

FWIW2, if you can afford it, go '08-up to get the bit of extra power of the LS3 and the improved steering -- not huge differences, but enough to make the '08's a bit better of a ride and a bit more sought-after at resale time (and you'll never be in the position of having an early car and saying, "I wonder if I should have bought an LS3?").
Old 06-15-2011, 03:36 PM
PECANTAN
Advanced

I live in DC and commute to the Pentagon daily. I debated on the manual vs auto and because of the traffic decided on the auto. I don't regret my decision. Whatever you decide to get, be sure to wave when you see me in my magnetic red C6... tag reads "LTL RED"

GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 PM
bonnevillebill
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 14 Posts

I would never live in a city. I'd never give up my 6 speed. But if I did have to live in a city, through some terrible twist of fate, I'd have an automatic trans.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

"Flappy Paddles".......somebody must be a Top Gear fan....
Old 06-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Pauls72
Instructor

Open the glove box door, there is a sticker there with all the RPO (Regular Production Order) codes from the factory. The RPO codes translate into all the packages and options that where installed on that Vette at the factory.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 PM
ceastham1
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Eric -

good luck with your Search ... LS3 is my recommendation and the flappy paddles are just fine ...

downside - which one do I drive today ?
Old 06-15-2011, 04:11 PM
SoonerC5
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

New guy, I've had both an auto (C5) and MN6 (C6) and in my daily stop-n-go traffic commute in Houston I prefer the the auto. Also, the C6 auto trans is strong enough for the LS3. It might even be less subject to failure or accident than the MN6 if the driver is not really proficient in a high horsepower manual transmission vehicle.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by AORoads
Not to be sarcastic, but if you've been lurking here for awhile most of your questions you've seen from others and have been answered. For instance, there's a thread right now on "should I use a C6 as a daily commuter in NYC?" You may think NYC is a world apart, but it isn't.

The auto vs. manual trans threads go on forever, at least twice a week on here.

And there is no manumatic for C6s. Yet. Again, your reading on here would've told you that.

Finallly, if you want to know the bad, just read every thread that starts out with "I got a problem..." or thereabouts.

You won't go wrong with an LS2, but there is a difference betw. them and the LS3s, to answer one of your questions.

The way to find out about clutch pedal "heaviness" is to go test drive one, even if not new, find a used one.

You can't do everything from the keyboard. Good luck.

But as an owner of an A6, I think I would rather have a manual since my car is not a DD. I have been paddle shifting a lot lately!!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:21 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I live in the city, have a MN6 with no problems whatsoever, except doing parades with the Corvette club (sore knees at the end ). Buy what feels good to you.

Get notified of new replies

To New guy looking for some guidance

Quick Reply: New guy looking for some guidance