C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a ticket while being paced?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 PM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on the guy got caught speeding, he doesn't deny it. All he was stating was he didn't belive the Cop would alow him to go 90 for that long a distance and maybe a little advice on how to handle it. To many people have been watching Baretta reruns "If you do the crime you gotta do the time" and what even makes it so funny this isn't a Daewoo site. We all drive high performance cars and I don't own one just for the looks. Maybe the people making the comments do. There's not one person here that hasn't broken a speeding law on this forum one time or another including me . Come on give the guy a break! He'll think twice when it's all over and pays up.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:16 PM
JPN7075U
Racer

[QUOTE=Crowhater;1577757715]
Originally Posted by JPN7075U

What are you looking for, a fair world? How many cops pull out that badge when they are speeding off duty? How many cops pull out that badge when they are off duty and their mouth gets them in trouble at the bar? If the ticket has 100% right a lawyer could not beat it correct?
Some people go through life blaming everyone else instead of manning up to their mistakes. Normally these people are losers in my opinion. The bottom line here he was either doing 90 or not. Blaming cops for being ***** now and then has absolutely nothing to do with this.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:18 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 66biskwik
Come on the guy got caught speeding, he doesn't deny it. .... We all drive high performance cars and I don't own one just for the looks. Maybe the people making the comments do. There's not one person here that hasn't broken a speeding law on this forum one time or another including me . Come on give the guy a break! He'll think twice when it's all over and pays up.
I speed: 75 in a 70 or 70 in a 65. I do NOT do 94 in a 60.

If I want to go fast, we have the Autobahn Country Club in Joliet where we can go as fast as we want to, without endangering other members of the public.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:20 PM
PnC KING
Instructor

I swear, sometimes I think most of yall get on here to talk crap because you have nothing better to do.

I wasn't asking for yalls two-cents, just wanted to tell me story and see if anyone had HELPFUL advice.

If I was hit with radar thats one thing but this pacing tactic sounds unjust to me.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:21 PM
JPN7075U
Racer

Come on the guy got caught speeding, he doesn't deny it. All he was stating was he didn't belive the Cop would alow him to go 90 for that long a distance and maybe a little advice on how to handle it. To many people have been watching Baretta reruns "If you do the crime you gotta do the time" and what even makes it so funny this isn't a Daewoo site. We all drive high performance cars and I don't own one just for the looks. Maybe the people making the comments do. There's not one person here that hasn't broken a speeding law on this forum one time or another including me . Come on give the guy a break! He'll think twice when it's all over and pays up.
I've paid big *** tickets for doing stupid stuff. It was my fault and I got caught. I drive a little slower now. I may get caught again. If I do, I won't blame the cop if I did it. Pretty simple logic here.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 PM
PnC KING
Instructor

Thonk you!!! You are the only one that understands that this post was about.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:26 PM
JPN7075U
Racer

Originally Posted by PnC KING
I swear, sometimes I think most of yall get on here to talk crap because you have nothing better to do.

I wasn't asking for yalls two-cents, just wanted to tell me story and see if anyone had HELPFUL advice.

If I was hit with radar thats one thing but this pacing tactic sounds unjust to me.
But you know the answer as to whether pacing was un-just or not in your situation. If you were really at 90, nothing un-just happened by you getting a ticket. That's what suppose to happen if a cop observes it.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 PM
PnC KING
Instructor

Originally Posted by JPN7075U
I've paid big *** tickets for doing stupid stuff. It was my fault and I got caught. I drive a little slower now. I may get caught again. If I do, I won't blame the cop if I did it. Pretty simple logic here.
I didn’t blame the cop. I just don't understand his procedure.

Why follow me at such a speed for so long? Remember the officer did tell me he paced me at the beginning of the chase. So why continue to follow and possible put other drivers in danger? Was he even really behind me or did I pass him while he was on the service road and he assumed i was going that fast?

These are questions I can't answer and what makes me wonder if the officer was even truthful, that is all.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Not a chance -- not after he posted this:

Now some would say I got lucky, but all I think about is...if the situation was that bad why didn't he take me to jail? All of that police work for a ticket. Something doesnt sound right, like the evidence is not there...
This continues to scream "the cop's a liar! he must be making this all up! I must not have been doing anything bad enough to warrant getting pulled over (despite the fact I was doing 90 in a 60)!"

The cop cut the guy a HUGE break by not writing him for reckless, and he takes that as evidence that the cop must be making it up??? Puts him squarely in the moron category in my book.

If I were an LEO, I'd be very disinclined to be so lenient -- I know of a great LEO that basically did the same thing, then had the idiot he cut the break turn around and file a formal complaint for "harassment" using basically the same logic -- a royal pain in the tail for the LEO.

The continued attempts to find a reason why the cop couldn't possibly have paced him or wouldn't have had a reason to do for so long** (despite several folks making it clear that pacing is COMMONLY done, and there's perfectly good reasons to not immediately pull him over), sez he hasn't "got it" and deserves to be getting the feedback he's getting.

(** the fact that he let him run for five miles is perfectly consistent with the LEO's not writing him for reckless -- no reason to pull him over sooner).

Face it bud -- there is NO reason to believe the LEO is lying here, so give up hunting for an excuse to falsely accuse him of doing so.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This Saturday I was pulled over and given a ticket for 94 in a 60. The officer said he paced me but I find that hard to believe.

First, he is a traffic officer and has K, Ka, and probably Laser (my radar, 9500 ix, never went off) Second, he said he was following me for almost 10 miles. Last, it wasn't until I slowed down for over a minute that he finally pulled me over.

I am always aware of my surroundings and cops when driving. If the officer was pacing me (which I assume means behind me within 100 yards) why did it take him 10 miles of me driving over 90mph for him to finally decide to pull me over? Wouldn't you think that any officer would want to pull a car over traveling that speed as soon as possible, you know cause of other drivers safety?

In my opinion, I think the officer is full of Sht and I will be having my lawyer fight this one.

Getting a ticket is only round 1, it's not over till the judge says guilty. Fight it, I know here they love to deal for no points and nothing on your record if you will pay the fine.

If you were running 90 and he was pacing you, he let you go for 10 miles because you were probably not weaving in and out of traffic and posing a hazard to others. He was probably hoping to pop you for the century mark, which typically gets you car impounded and a trip to jail. when you slowed he knew he was probably not going to get that chance so he took what he could get.

You have to watch the rear view mirror at that speed, anything not getting smaller in the mirror warrants close scrutiny.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 PM
JPN7075U
Racer

I didn’t blame the cop. I just don't understand his procedure.

Why follow me at such a speed for so long? Remember the officer did tell me he paced me at the beginning of the chase. So why continue to follow and possible put other drivers in danger? Was he even really behind me or did I pass him while he was on the service road and he assumed i was going that fast?

These are questions I can't answer and what makes me wonder if the officer was even truthful, that is all.
Whether he followed you one mile or ten what does it matter? Either you were speeding or not. I see cops driving fast all the time and I'm pretty sure it's not always to an emergency. So what? I make a lot more money than a cop does. So what? Pay the ticket if you were speeding. Fight it if you were not.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 PM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

Really the only thing in question is did he follow you for 10 miles. Obviously you were speeding. I don't know what the overall numbers are but a good % of the tickets on Interstates are probably written by pacing. I don't know how the interstates are where all the comments are comming from but here in NY the speed limit is 65 and you better not be in the fast lane even going 80 you'll get run over. Is it right, hell no but that's the way it is.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 PM
yow
Pro

The cop was following hoping he'd get your for DUI or reckless if you swerved or crossed either line. He gave up and got you for all he could. You could fight it but there's still probable cause to ticket you, so you won't 'beat it'. You could settle out by pleading to a lower speed, but it'll still mean points, probably. I don't know where lawyers charge $150-200 for traffic offenses, but that's cheap. It's gotta be $500 to be worth my time.

I suggest you ask the court to allow you to take a driving class...then show up with a certificate from Ron Fellows or Bondurant or something. That'd be awesome!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:45 PM
PnC KING
Instructor

I suggest you ask the court to allow you to take a driving class...then show up with a certificate from Ron Fellows or Bondurant or something. That'd be awesome![/QUOTE]

That made my day
Old 05-31-2011, 05:47 PM
JPN7075U
Racer

Originally Posted by yow
The cop was following hoping he'd get your for DUI or reckless if you swerved or crossed either line. He gave up and got you for all he could. You could fight it but there's still probable cause to ticket you, so you won't 'beat it'. You could settle out by pleading to a lower speed, but it'll still mean points, probably. I don't know where lawyers charge $150-200 for traffic offenses, but that's cheap. It's gotta be $500 to be worth my time.

I suggest you ask the court to allow you to take a driving class...then show up with a certificate from Ron Fellows or Bondurant or something. That'd be awesome!
I like your brain!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You were simply outsmarted. Every LEO knows sports cars are often equipped with radar detectors, so he didn't use his radar. You obviously weren't aware of your surroundings or you wouldn't have been caught. As far as following you for a while before pulling you over, perhaps he was running a check on your plates to see if you were driving a stolen car or were an armed fugitive, or perhaps he was calling for assistance, just in case. After all, anyone traveling at your rate of speed obviously has no regard for the law or the lives of others, so he had to assume you were either stupid, drunk, on drugs, or that you were running from the law. The reason he had his hand on his gun was so he could draw it quickly and shoot you dead if he had to defend himself. As it turned out, like most criminals, you were simply stupid. Only an ignoramous would think a LEO pacing a speeder is "unjust".

Last edited by laconiajack; 05-31-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55

Originally Posted by laconiajack
You were simply outsmarted. Every LEO knows sports cars are often equipped with radar detectors, so he didn't use his radar. You obviously weren't aware of your surroundings or you wouldn't have been caught. As far as following you for a while before pulling you over, perhaps he was running a check on your plates to see if you were driving a stolen car or were an armed fugitive, or perhaps he was calling for assistance, just in case. After all, anyone traveling at your rate of speed obviously has no regard for the law or the lives of other, so he had to assume you were either stupid, drunk, on drugs, or that you were running from the law. The reason he had his hand on his gun was so he could draw it quickly and shoot you dead if he had to defend himself. As it turned out, like most criminals, you were simply stupid. Only an ignoramous would think a LEO pacing a speeder is "unjust".

Get notified of new replies

To Got a ticket while being paced?!?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:18 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Old 05-31-2011, 06:19 PM
acejack
Racer

I was wondering- what Hwy. were you on? City?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 PM
WLRN9's
Cruising

Time to close the thread, going nowhere like most on this subject.

Quick Reply: Got a ticket while being paced?!?