C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone successfully adjusted HUD tilt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Has anyone successfully adjusted HUD tilt?

Just got done installing the HUD. Everything works great, but the HUD display is a little tilted (left side is higher than the right). I'm pretty AR about stuff like this, and I know it will bug me until I correct it.

Has anyone actually adjusted the tilt of the HUD display? It didn't look like there was much adjustment possible. I'm trying to figure out if I tear the dash back apart, if I'll be able to correct it. Not sure if I have to lift one side (washer under the mounting tab?) or slide the right or left side forward or backward (which is where it doesn't look like I can get much adjustment).
Old 05-25-2011, 11:24 PM
redls3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my hud was not pushed in by a inch or less and it affected the height of the screen when i went to adjust it with the cluster pod.

the best thing to do is while the speedometer cluster is removed is to make sure the hud is perfectly aligned and that all the screws holding it in place are tightened good.

you should of started the car prior to putting everything in the cluster back together so you could of seen exactly what needs adjusting.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:50 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hmmm... What I'm trying to figure out is if theres really much ability to adjust it. Obviously, if I hadnt pushed it in the final inch, it wouldn't have seated on the mounting posts. And I did fully tighten the nuts.

Since the left bracket only has a single hole, and the right bracket has a slot, but is only side to side adjustment (which can't really adjust, since the left bracket is just a hole), I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust it if it is fully seated and secured?

(Yeah, I probably should have turned it on to check, but it didn't seem like there really was much to adjust, just essentially hard mounting points. And none of the write-ups even mentioned it)
Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

the plastic on the 2 rear ears can bind a bit not letting it go all they way down so it could possibly be off. Another way to correct is put a washer under the right side to bring it up and see if that straightens it out.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:58 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine was higher on the left when I purchased the car. It bugged me so I eventually decided to give it a try by wrapping my hand in a large micro-fiber towel and gently pushing down, gradually applying more pressure while rechecking the display periodically. I got it level.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Mine was higher on the left when I purchased the car. It bugged me so I eventually decided to give it a try by wrapping my hand in a large micro-fiber towel and gently pushing down, gradually applying more pressure while rechecking the display periodically. I got it level.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:25 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This issue has come up before, even on new factory-installed HUD's:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...alignment.html

Or it might be your HUD is damaged. Does the image also get "shaky" at speed on rough roads?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:56 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
This issue has come up before, even on new factory-installed HUD's:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...alignment.html

Or it might be your HUD is damaged. Does the image also get "shaky" at speed on rough roads?
Thanks Jeff. I tried searching on a bunch of things, but I didn't try "HUD lean".

HUD is rock solid, and the tilt isn't bad, just enough to bug me.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:58 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks! I may give that a try before I take everything apart again. It's just a slight lean, also higher on the left, so it shouldn't take much to level it out.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Andrew6
the plastic on the 2 rear ears can bind a bit not letting it go all they way down so it could possibly be off. Another way to correct is put a washer under the right side to bring it up and see if that straightens it out.
Thanks Andrew! That's exactly what I was looking for- not sure which direction the projector needed to move to even it out.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

that's not a bad idea at all!!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Many good solutions posted in the thread (apply pressure, use a washer, get a bigger hammer, etc.)

Other food thought, there is some degree of optical illusion created. Because of the curve of the dash and windshield, it may not look perfectly level with respect to all the lines in the car. I thought mine was angled slightly (like 0.25 degrees slightly) and I don't even notice it anymore after 3 or so years of driving with the HUD. How apparent the levelness (is that even a word?) is also seems different to me based on the HUD mode I'm using.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Many good solutions posted in the thread (apply pressure, use a washer, get a bigger hammer, etc.)

Other food thought, there is some degree of optical illusion created. Because of the curve of the dash and windshield, it may not look perfectly level with respect to all the lines in the car. I thought mine was angled slightly (like 0.25 degrees slightly) and I don't even notice it anymore after 3 or so years of driving with the HUD. How apparent the levelness (is that even a word?) is also seems different to me based on the HUD mode I'm using.
I would say 3-4 degrees off. Not a big deal, but I know it will bug me every time I look at it. It's the same with all of the modes- definitely more noticeable with the L shaped tach (track two), but I can see it in all of the modes.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone successfully adjusted HUD tilt?

Quick Reply: Has anyone successfully adjusted HUD tilt?