C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue AFTER Issue AFTER Issue...

Old 06-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Issue AFTER Issue AFTER Issue...

Ok so far I submitted my car for the traction control light and the roof recall. During that extravaganze, I noticed that my car had a new jingling sound which turned out to be a bad lifter!!!

Then my warranty gave me a new cam! After they had finished the installation of the cam shaft, they noticed a small coolant leak next to my water pump. Lo and behold! a new water pump for me....

Now I bring the car back and I notice a slight squeak with the clutch pedal, it almost seems like there is a bubble or even bad clutch fluid in the system, gears engage fine without difficulty, but when I depress the clutch pedal, I hear an ever so slight squeak from behind my clutch cylinder just behind the firewall behind the clutch cylinder. I went as far as taking apart the inside area near the floor amt and have successfully lubed up everything! It seems like flushing the clutch fluid will be a real PITA!

So I am using the turkey baster clutch fluid replacement method for that.

TODAY, as I was focused on my clutch pedal and pumping away as I usually do, all of a sudden my gas gauge goes from 1/4 tank to immediately 0! I get the Service Fuel System light and my "range reads low" but the car runs fine...

I took the car to a gas station and filled it up with more gas and lo and behold, no more gas gauge problem. Everything runs fine (with the exception of my clutch pedal)

If there is someone who may have a better idea behind my clutch pedal issue I would be more than willing to listen.

I feel like every few weeks there is some new issue with this car.

It is a 2005 C6 Z51 with 85,000 miles...

So far my warranty has replaced:

BOTH CATALYTIC CONVERTERS
THE NAV UNIT
RADIATOR
Column Lock

Thank (whoever your diety is) for WARRANTIES!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:14 PM
0SicMSP - Daniel
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a good thing for warranties - is the squeek coming from the pedal area or somewhere else?
Old 06-13-2010, 03:21 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's under warranty, why don't you just drop it off for your clutch, and now gas guage problem?
Old 06-13-2010, 03:26 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
If it's under warranty, why don't you just drop it off for your clutch, and now gas guage problem?
My thought exactly.
BTW, when you have a car with 85,000 miles, **** happens. Things wear out and some cars have more problems than others. That said, at least you have a warranty! Good luck in the future.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:36 PM
mliebs
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the gas gauge issue when I purchased my car. When the tank was filled up the gas gauge would move to the Full mark but it looked like it was sticking, then it would go to empty and display the service fuel system message. After using about an 1/8 of a tank it would work fine. I filled it up 3 times with Chevron and the problem went away and hasn't come back.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

A squeak...do you have any mouse droppings near the pedal?

On the gas gauge..dump in a 20 oz bottle of Techtron in the gas tank. I do this every 3-4,000 miles. Walmart carries it and Pep Boys has sales on Techtron ever so often.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-13-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:39 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Clutch pedal return spring maybe?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:50 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

There is a TSB on the gas gauge issue. When mine did it in 2005 the dealer removed the left tank and replaced the fuel card. Today 90% of them are done with a simple software flash.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:21 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
Clutch pedal return spring maybe?
Probably, my 09 squeaks sometimes. Usually when I have the radio off.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmer
Ok so far I submitted my car for the traction control light and the roof recall. During that extravaganze, I noticed that my car had a new jingling sound which turned out to be a bad lifter!!!

Then my warranty gave me a new cam! After they had finished the installation of the cam shaft, they noticed a small coolant leak next to my water pump. Lo and behold! a new water pump for me....

Now I bring the car back and I notice a slight squeak with the clutch pedal, it almost seems like there is a bubble or even bad clutch fluid in the system, gears engage fine without difficulty, but when I depress the clutch pedal, I hear an ever so slight squeak from behind my clutch cylinder just behind the firewall behind the clutch cylinder. I went as far as taking apart the inside area near the floor amt and have successfully lubed up everything! It seems like flushing the clutch fluid will be a real PITA!

So I am using the turkey baster clutch fluid replacement method for that.

TODAY, as I was focused on my clutch pedal and pumping away as I usually do, all of a sudden my gas gauge goes from 1/4 tank to immediately 0! I get the Service Fuel System light and my "range reads low" but the car runs fine...

I took the car to a gas station and filled it up with more gas and lo and behold, no more gas gauge problem. Everything runs fine (with the exception of my clutch pedal)

If there is someone who may have a better idea behind my clutch pedal issue I would be more than willing to listen.

I feel like every few weeks there is some new issue with this car.

It is a 2005 C6 Z51 with 85,000 miles...

So far my warranty has replaced:

BOTH CATALYTIC CONVERTERS
THE NAV UNIT
RADIATOR
Column Lock

Thank (whoever your diety is) for WARRANTIES!
I have that squeak too on my '05. It's real quiet now, but I never got rid of it entirely.

By the way my warranty lists is twice as long as yours!

Brake pads
A/C
clutch spring and master
DRL wiring harnesses

Rocking seat fixed
Harmonic balancer fix
DBS reflash done
Buzzing shifter fixed
2 roof fixes.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:39 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

squeak is likely the return spring. my '08 had same noise but after a lot of lube, it went away and hasn't come back.

as for the gas gauge, try running Chevron gas for a while or add a bottle of Techtron to the gas for the next 2-3 fill ups. seems to help resolve corrosion issues and sending unit problems. you can get the additive at GM dealers or just run Chevron fuel. plenty of those stations in Houston.

good luck
Old 06-13-2010, 11:20 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

I too had an '05 with a list of similar concerns; there is something to the adage of not buying a car in it's first model year............
Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
I too had an '05 with a list of similar concerns; there is something to the adage of not buying a car in it's first model year............
There are plenty of other years of Corvettes that have a list of issues.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
I don't necessarily subscribe to that adage. Years ago (after hearing this sentiment often) I did a poll of 2005 C6 owners. Well over 90% considered their 2005 C6 to be reliable and they were very satisfied with the car. Improvements are always ongoing. There are 'problem prone' cars from all model years. I literally wail on my (modified) 2005 and its been extremely reliable and trouble-free. If I would have waited for the 2006 model year I would have got a Z06 but forget that....I would have deprived myself of one year of enjoying my wonderful C6!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:18 AM
78PC
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default No Excuses

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
My thought exactly.
BTW, when you have a car with 85,000 miles, **** happens. Things wear out and some cars have more problems than others. That said, at least you have a warranty! Good luck in the future.
My 2005 has also had a list of problems. It's a Chevy thing. As much as I like the model, it lacks quality. We have a 2003 Honda van we purchased new that now has 110,000 miles. The only problem is a rear power window motor that went out. Guess what? My wife wants another Honda. Not a chevy traverse, tahoe, or similar model. Quality and trouble free ownership retains customers. The sooner GM learns this the sooner their shares will go up in value.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:51 AM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 78PC
My 2005 has also had a list of problems. It's a Chevy thing. As much as I like the model, it lacks quality. We have a 2003 Honda van we purchased new that now has 110,000 miles. The only problem is a rear power window motor that went out. Guess what? My wife wants another Honda. Not a chevy traverse, tahoe, or similar model. Quality and trouble free ownership retains customers. The sooner GM learns this the sooner their shares will go up in value.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long have you been doing the Ranger turkey baster clutch fluid method? Do you think that might have contributed to the clutch issues? Ive considered doing it but have heard pros and cons.

Get notified of new replies

To Issue AFTER Issue AFTER Issue...

Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the turkey baster method for about 2 weeks. The squeak was very prominent uyesterday. For some reason I don't even see a clutch spring, I can see where the hinges are and wher it is supposed to sit, but no spring. Weird.

I would like to also know what exactly is the rattling gear... I heard mine go crazy yesterday!

I even went as far as pulling the wheel well out from the drivers side off to investigate and there seems to merely be the clutch pedal piston with very small tubing that traverses the firewall and heads towards the clutch assembly... I didn't see any leaks, but the entire module feels a bit loose??? is this normal?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Pecanman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 78PC
By the same token, I had a 1998 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder. Serviced very well. Replaced the transmission, engine, and everything else that moved, including window regulators and motors. Cat. Converter and radio replaced under warranty. Terrible factory applied paint. NOT modified. Go figure
Old 06-14-2010, 11:20 AM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I don't necessarily subscribe to that adage. Years ago (after hearing this sentiment often) I did a poll of 2005 C6 owners. Well over 90% considered their 2005 C6 to be reliable and they were very satisfied with the car. Improvements are always ongoing. There are 'problem prone' cars from all model years. I literally wail on my (modified) 2005 and its been extremely reliable and trouble-free. If I would have waited for the 2006 model year I would have got a Z06 but forget that....I would have deprived myself of one year of enjoying my wonderful C6!
THIS!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Issue AFTER Issue AFTER Issue...