C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside hood tear???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:02 PM
c6wantedNOW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside hood tear???

So I took my Corvette out of winter storage today. I had the hood down, but not closed in order to allow the battery tender's wires through. I open the hood, and below is what I found (see pic 2). Now I'm not saying that this is because of the Winter Storage...I guess it could have been there for awhile and I haven't noticed it...but any of you had something like this before? Could it have been animals biting the clothes?

In addition, at the risk of sounding like a complete moron, I found what looks like dirt on that metal piece of machinery (see third pic). So my question is, what is that, and is it supposed to be that dirty? If not, how can I effectively clean it? I'm not a mechanic...sorry if this is a noob question.

Appreciate all your expert's help!

Old 05-22-2011, 03:05 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Animals.I store mine too and don't see this stuff on mine. Dirt could actually be mouse crap or something.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:10 PM
ub2slow2

yeah something has been living in there and chewing up your cloth and that dirt is the oil from their bodies and or crap. Check all your wires good and make sure they didn't have a meal with those too.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:21 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

My guess is mice. Looks like the damaged spots line up with the top of the radiator and alternator. Spots close enough for them to sit and chew on the top. Little bastards.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:23 PM
c6wantedNOW
Intermediate

Damn...really? Any idea on how I can prevent this from happening again? I followed all the ways to winter store by putting laundry softener sheets in my muffler and etc.

Also, any good way to clean it besides soap and water...or is that good enough?

So should I leave the hood up and open for next winter?
Old 05-22-2011, 03:38 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I wrapped my plug wires and put downy sheets under the hood also. I also put dcon and mouse traps in garage. I would look carefully for where that chewed up liner went. If it was a mouse they used it to build a nest.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:46 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Without a doubt mice were/are making a nest in your car! You really need to make sure you got them out of there! Lets hope they haven't already chewed up wiring. I had a pickup catch on fire from the little bastards... so it's serious business. If all they got was your hood liner consider yourself VERY lucky....

I have mouse traps everywhere in the garage I store the vette for the winter... Have about 15 traps using peanut butter which seems to be the best bait I've found.

If you suddenly have electrical issues you'll know why.... Good luck...

BTW my insurance covered the damage they did to my truck!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Yea, mice. I have that problem with my DD that I leave outside in my driveway. Really do not know what to do to keep them out. Guess next winter, you can place mouse traps all around your car and keep checking them daily.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:18 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

EL CHUBBA COBBRA ate your hood liner

the metal peice is your alternator its aluminum thats corrison on it. you can clean it with a scotch brite pad.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:30 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

dryer sheets help I'm told.Don't know why but they do.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:50 PM
c6wantedNOW
Intermediate

Thanks for all your help...I'll make sure to buy some mouse traps. I've never see any mice around...so it's hard to believe...maybe chipmunks? I'll also put dryer sheets in my hood.

Oh, should I also leave my hood up for the winter? And how about a replacement hood liner? Anybody know where to buy and how much they cost?

Thanks

Last edited by c6wantedNOW; 05-22-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by c6wantedNOW
Thanks for all your help...I'll make sure to buy some mouse traps. I've never see any mice around...so it's hard to believe...maybe chipmunks? I'll also put dryer sheets in my hood.

Oh, should I also leave my hood up for the winter? And how about a replacement hood liner? Anybody know where to buy and how much they cost?

Thanks
You can get a new hood insulator from Kevin Cassimore at PartsTaxi or Gene Culley at GMPartsHouse (both forum vendors) for about $80.00 plus shipping. However, the shipping cost will be in the neighborhood of around $80.00 also (they don't weigh anything, but the high freight is due to the oversze item charge). Or, you can have your local dealer quote you one.

Bye the way, I would check your cabin air filter just to see if your mouse guests built a nest in there - it's been known to happen.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:08 PM
soetekouw
Advanced

Yes. Check your cabin filter. I had three different cars last year and they all nested where the cabin filter is (and chewed them up).
Old 05-22-2011, 06:20 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Put some moth ***** in a net bag under the hood and they will stay clear. We have a lot of problems with pack rats nesting in cars around here and the moth ***** work great when the car sits for a while.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:11 PM
drich2905
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

mice built two nests in my engine bay during the summer last year. I was very cautious this past winter to make sure they did not come back.

so far this product as worked perfectly. I just taped a packet to the top of my battery. No more mice for almost 8 months.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:13 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RJRSW
Put some moth ***** in a net bag under the hood and they will stay clear. We have a lot of problems with pack rats nesting in cars around here and the moth ***** work great when the car sits for a while.
What the hell is a pack rat ????
Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
What the hell is a pack rat ????

"Why Pack Rats Are Attracted To Vehicles

Pack rats are attracted to any area that provides opportunities for safe harborage. An ideal harborage is accessible to the pack rat, but not to its many predators including bobcats, owls, snakes and coyotes.

A vehicle engine compartment is close to perfect. Additionally, the sound proofing insulation under the hood provides excellent nest-making material and engine wires are just right for the chewing necessary to maintain sharp teeth."

Everything you could want to know about pack rats and what they can do:

http://www.mrpackrat.net/Packrats.htm

Last edited by RJRSW; 05-22-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Inside hood tear???

Old 05-22-2011, 08:34 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RJRSW

Everything you could want to know about pack rats and what they can do:

http://www.mrpackrat.net/Packrats.htm
Well thats one lovely creature we don't have in MN.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:37 PM
c6wantedNOW
Intermediate

All very helpful, thanks! I'll try the moth ***** or that Mouse Magic instead of traps first. I'm afraid the peanut butter will attract more critters. I'll also check the cabin filter as well.

As for a replacement, $80 I can deal with, but $80 shipping does sound too much...maybe I can check my local chevy dealer and see what they charge. $80 is a lot for hood insulation, but it looks like crap like this
Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Well thats one lovely creature we don't have in MN.
I lived in the Minneapolis and surrounding areas for almost 40 years and there are plenty of their relatives up there. Had the same problems up there with cars that were not driven a lot. Also used the moth ***** to keep them out of where you do not want them. Peanut butter just attracts them like a magnet and very quickly if you want to trap them.

A Pack Rat is basically just a large mouse or a small rat. Looks just like them and does exactly the same thing.

Quick Reply: Inside hood tear???