C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside hood tear???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:53 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
Without a doubt mice were/are making a nest in your car! You really need to make sure you got them out of there! Lets hope they haven't already chewed up wiring. I had a pickup catch on fire from the little bastards... so it's serious business. If all they got was your hood liner consider yourself VERY lucky....

They can do enough damage to wiring if they go undetected that the damage can be so costly to repair that the car can be totaled.

The hood liner would be the least of my worries.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:39 PM
drich2905
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

careful with the moth *****. I threw some under my house to run out a snake and it smelled up the inside of the house for about a month.

Also keep in mind that mothballs are poisonous to dogs and cats
Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08crm
Animals.I store mine too and don't see this stuff on mine. Dirt could actually be mouse crap or something.
While I haven't experience this in (on?) my Vette, I sure have on my BMW suv which sits outside 24/7.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Probably mice...picture #3 looks like corrosion (where the mice pee).

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
What the hell is a pack rat ????
It's a desert rodent...not like a NYC sewer rat. They're everywhere in southern Arizona and not a big deal. They will, however, nest in an engine bay if given the opportunity. Years ago my parents RV caught on fire because of pat racks nesting around the engine and chewing wires and fuel lines. The best deterent to pack rats is to leave the hood up and put bright lights shining on the engine bay (they like closed, dark places). Sometime, we augment that with moth ***** and use Have-a-Heart capture traps.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Presidentialpawn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Syphilis sive morbus gallicus Corvettus
Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 AM
57JoeCool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And to think I was hoping my wife's cat that lives in the garage would run away. Come to think of it though, I don't think moth ***** smell any worse than cats.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:18 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by c6wantedNOW
All very helpful, thanks! I'll try the moth ***** or that Mouse Magic instead of traps first. I'm afraid the peanut butter will attract more critters. I'll also check the cabin filter as well.

As for a replacement, $80 I can deal with, but $80 shipping does sound too much...maybe I can check my local chevy dealer and see what they charge. $80 is a lot for hood insulation, but it looks like crap like this
Peanut butter is bait and goes into a very small round cup on the traps. I can assure you haven't had any other critters around for 4 years!! I also live in the country so if what you say is true they would have found their way into my garage/shop long ago...
Old 05-23-2011, 12:29 PM
c6wantedNOW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vetteright
You can get a new hood insulator from Kevin Cassimore at PartsTaxi or Gene Culley at GMPartsHouse (both forum vendors) for about $80.00 plus shipping. However, the shipping cost will be in the neighborhood of around $80.00 also (they don't weigh anything, but the high freight is due to the oversze item charge). Or, you can have your local dealer quote you one.

Bye the way, I would check your cabin air filter just to see if your mouse guests built a nest in there - it's been known to happen.
PartsTaxi charges only $5.49 for shipping and $78.xx for the insulator. Am I missing something here? This seems cheap compared to $80
Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 PM
F65MPH
Pro

I plan to put this or something similar in my garage. I cannot let a mouse eat my hoodliner. I hope it works.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM
c6wantedNOW
Intermediate

[QUOTE=F65MPH;1577688189]I plan to put this or something similar in my garage. I cannot let a mouse eat my hoodliner. I hope it works.

That's a sweet Silver Surfer liner!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We had both chipmunks and mice invading our garage. A friend had several thousand dollars damage to his Buick, so I took the following steps:

Put'em on the endangered species list- air rifle and Havahart traps (they can't swim underwater) for the Chippies, four different types of traps for the mice.

Old fashioned mothballs from Walmart in tupperware containers with small holes punched in the lids- allows the fumes to get out, but keeps any pets from eating the mothballs in a hurry. One container under the engine and one under the trunk, of each car. Renew every six months.

Our garage smells like Grandma's closet, but no rodent damage even though we go away for three months in winter.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM
c6wantedNOW
Intermediate

Just want to update that I ended up getting it for $98.xx + tax from local chevy dealer. Thanks for all your help!

Quick Reply: Inside hood tear???