C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should GM discontinue sales of fleet vettes to Hertz?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Was just quoted $95 a day in Vegas for convertible ZHZ rental by Hertz with my corp discount. And this is Memorial Day weekend! I headed there, but with several other friends and have a Cadillac Escalade reserved instead. The Escalade was only $61 a day.

Who knows.. I may end up renting both
Old 05-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Was just quoted $95 a day in Vegas for convertible ZHZ rental by Hertz with my corp discount. And this is Memorial Day weekend! I headed there, but with several other friends and have a Cadillac Escalade reserved instead. The Escalade was only $61 a day.

Who knows.. I may end up renting both
I'm not sure but I think the Vette rental is base plus miles with a fixed # included. Not unlimited.

No sure though
Old 05-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Umm, this dealer provides a free car fax report that said it was a rental, how is he lying?
Old 05-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by petermj
And another one that also provides a free carfax report clearly stating it is a rental....Where is all the LYING??
Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

While doing my searching back when I did find one for sale by a dealer that was debadged w/ stripe removed. There was no mention was made of it being a formal rental, of course they may have got it that way.

A quick VIN check tells all/
Old 05-13-2011, 12:52 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Umm, this dealer provides a free car fax report that said it was a rental, how is he lying?
thanks for more valuable input from you
Old 05-13-2011, 12:59 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Think of this.... There were 2008 35,310 Corvettes produced in 2008. 500 of them were bought by Hertz as ZHZ's. That gives them a little buying power, wouldn't you say? Not to mention, how many cars does Hertz buy from GM that are not Corvettes??? Quite a few more!! That being said, you can rent a Ferrari if you want to spend the money, so why not a Corvette? I don't think it is really for us to say!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:01 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I can see both sides to this arguement to a degree.

The Corvette as we all know does have a special hertiage and history,, I mean there are not too many cars that have a museum dedicated to them So can understand to a point where some would say it can "cheapen" or "lessen" the image of the car. Myself, I have never thought I was joe cool or some rock start for owning a corvette

However, I think it's all about exposure and marketing.. I think it was smart of GM to do this. It gets people behind the wheel of a Vette that maybe would never have before..and if they like the car, that is a potential sale for GM, and it helps keep Corvette alive. Think about for example the 28 year old making good money for his age, always been into RICE, decides to rent a vette for the weekend on vacation, and boom, he's hooked and trading his rice in for some good ol American muscle

I would agree I don't think there are enough of them out there to hurt resale.

Last edited by FrankTank; 05-13-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:11 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
Think of this.... There were 2008 35,310 Corvettes produced in 2008. 500 of them were bought by Hertz as ZHZ's. That gives them a little buying power, wouldn't you say? Not to mention, how many cars does Hertz buy from GM that are not Corvettes??? Quite a few more!! That being said, you can rent a Ferrari if you want to spend the money, so why not a Corvette? I don't think it is really for us to say!
There is a difference between rentals of exotic cars and GM making a FLEET version of corvette, as indicated in VIN option designation. There is also a difference between number of cars made vs. number of cars for sale. I already quoted some REAL numbers. If someone looks at autotrader and see that over half of the cars on the market right now are being dumped by Hertz, what would even a semi intelligent person conclude? Or is this what vetter really is? Rental cars by definition are driving skills of a dummy. Too hard to figure this out for anyone apparently...
Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

IMHO, I were a foreigner vacationing in the U.S., I'd think it was pretty cool to rent a Vette since there aren't that many in other countries. Might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:24 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

There is a difference between rentals of exotic cars and GM making a FLEET version of corvette, as indicated in VIN option designation. There is also a difference between number of cars made vs. number of cars for sale. I already quoted some REAL numbers. If someone looks at autotrader and see that over half of the cars on the market right now are being dumped by Hertz, what would even a semi intelligent person conclude? Or is this what vetter really is? Rental cars by definition are driving skills of a dummy. Too hard to figure this out for anyone apparently...
I can see where you are coming from, with your comment about Hertz dumping a bunch of cars hurting the resale, but i would think that would only be true if they decided to dump like 100+ in one market/city.. plus the way I see it.. not a lot of people are going to buy a Vette that was a rental before.. the stigmatism is mostly negative toward them because the natural assumption is that they have been beaten to within an inch of their life... A smart buyer looking at the ZHZ vs. a used say Grandsport, or even loaded 4LT base C6 is going to pay more for the nicer car because it's not a rental. I know you are making the supply demand arguement here, but it's not always that simple.

I don't understand your comment about "rental cars by definition are driving skills of a dummy" are you saying the Vette is harder to drive than the average rental??
Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

thanks for more valuable input from you
Sorry for proving you wrong, sorry your attempt to make something more than it is has been uncovered.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:33 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FrankTank
I can see where you are coming from, with your comment about Hertz dumping a bunch of cars hurting the resale, but i would think that would only be true if they decided to dump like 100+ in one market/city.. plus the way I see it.. not a lot of people are going to buy a Vette that was a rental before.. the stigmatism is mostly negative toward them because the natural assumption is that they have been beaten to within an inch of their life... A smart buyer looking at the ZHZ vs. a used say Grandsport, or even loaded 4LT base C6 is going to pay more for the nicer car because it's not a rental. I know you are making the supply demand arguement here, but it's not always that simple.

I don't understand your comment about "rental cars by definition are driving skills of a dummy" are you saying the Vette is harder to drive than the average rental??
If for 38 cars for sale for 08/09, 23 are Hertz, this seems like dumping and flooding the market to me. I am pretty sure smart people will avoid these cars but this is the reason Chevy dealers do not disclose up front the rental origin of these cars which amounts to very deceptive marketing, along with ONE OWNER claim. I never claimed anyone is lying about these cars, the deception is what irks me. Obviously when Hertz sells these things directly they have no choice but for a Chevy dealer selling them and deceiving the potential customers (typically they are too lazy to check the VIN or car fax and rely on salesmen instead), this is what turns my stomach. If you talk to a salesman, they will do their best to avoid disclosing the rental thing, I know because I walk my dogs by a Chevy dealer and like to play stupid occasionally
Old 05-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

If for 38 cars for sale for 08/09, 23 are Hertz, this seems like dumping and flooding the market to me. I am pretty sure smart people will avoid these cars but this is the reason Chevy dealers do not disclose up front the rental origin of these cars which amounts to very deceptive marketing, along with ONE OWNER claim. I never claimed anyone is lying about these cars, the deception is what irks me. Obviously when Hertz sells these things directly they have no choice but for a Chevy dealer selling them and deceiving the potential customers (typically they are too lazy to check the VIN or car fax and rely on salesmen instead), this is what turns my stomach. If you talk to a salesman, they will do their best to avoid disclosing the rental thing, I know because I walk my dogs by a Chevy dealer and like to play stupid occasionally
Sure you do.. Many, many members on this forum bought these cars form GM dealerships and were told what they were. Again, it is you being deceptive...why, so you HATE these cars, let it go!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:37 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Sorry for proving you wrong, sorry your attempt to make something more than it is has been uncovered.
I was being sarcastic, you just continue to make an **** of yourself but surprisingly (I am being sarcastic again), you missed my sarcasm. I never said the dealer was lying, only that the dealer was deceitful which these two ads clearly demonstrate but only to intelligent people, apparently.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I was being sarcastic, you just continue to make an **** of yourself but surprisingly (I am being sarcastic again), you missed my sarcasm. I never said the dealer was lying, only that the dealer was deceitful which these two ads clearly demonstrate but only to intelligent people, apparently.
Apology accepted, I accept your apology.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:39 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Sure you do.. Many, many members on this forum bought these cars form GM dealerships and were told what they were. Again, it is you being deceptive...why, so you HATE these cars, let it go!
I take it you are a simple folk...

Get notified of new replies

To Should GM discontinue sales of fleet vettes to Hertz?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

[QUOTE=petermj;1577602668]And I personally think you are a jerk who just happened to drive a vette. Yeah, I would be making this up maybe you would though? [\quote]

Maybe the dealer you linked should not have mentioned CARFAX in the ad, and provided an on obvious link to CARFAX.

Furthermore, the dishonest bastards are ruining your resale value by asking hundreds over KBB retail!!!

Oh the horror!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:58 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=Zoomin;1577606465]
And I personally think you are a jerk who just happened to drive a vette. Yeah, I would be making this up maybe you would though? [\quote]

Maybe the dealer you linked should not have mentioned CARFAX in the ad, and provided an on obvious link to CARFAX.

Furthermore, the dishonest bastards are ruining your resale value by asking hundreds over KBB retail!!!

Oh the horror!
They ask considerably more for a comparable non rental. Your point is what exactly, the dealers being greedy? Wow, thanks for clarifying this part And you do understand that this car is being sold as CPO, or don't you? When Hertz sells them, they cannot give them away as observed last year (2010) with my local Hertz selling a 2008 with 40k miles for 28 vs. their starting 33k price a few months earlier. Walking dogs long distance has its advantages.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 PM
dd229
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Should we not set up a board of overseers to pass judgment on each Corvette buyer to be sure the image is upheld.... ? (GMAFB)
Indeed, and we should not let ugly old men who park them in front of their sub million dollar homes (like me) own them.

Quick Reply: Should GM discontinue sales of fleet vettes to Hertz?