C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar Renewal

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
First of all, thank you for this thread, it reminded me to purchase more minutes (expired tomorrow) so I can roll over my unused minutes.

For the conspiracy members that think Onstar is evil and helping out to get you and invade your privacy etc Your idiots.
It's not at all unexpected to get such condescension regarding personal privacy from someone who is not American, and may not fully understand or at least respect our history of privacy and freedom.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 PM
VETTE RN835
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default onstar

I had onstar free for first year I bought my vette. After it expired, I really didnt miss it. Currently onstar is having a new car giveaway....register for the giveaway by pressing blue onstar button( even if you are not currently active, you can enter) I did... entered for Corvette give away... and was offered 6 months of onstar FREE....Good deal, as the car is off the road in the winter....who knows I might win the car too!!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:51 PM
BLOWNALKY01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racer fnbrowning

Last edited by BLOWNALKY01; 05-26-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I'll take Racer for $100, I like his avatar!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:06 PM
BILLD518
Instructor

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
I don’t like the idea of “Big Daddy” watching my every move, using the pretence that they are “looking out for my best interest”. I’m from the old school. I can keep track of my own minor services, tire pressure, how fast I’m going etc. I was without a cell phone most of my life; I don’t need one attached to my car. I have a cell and I will decide if I take it with me or not.

A story can always be reported or contrived where OnStar allegedly saved a life, notwithstanding how the incident would might have still worked out satisfactorily without the corporate surveillance box.

This OnStar thing seems so “let’s put a chip under the skin on your arm”, “the government is here to help you”, “don’t worry it’s for your best interest”.

Some of us removed the OnStar b/c free men and women don't aid and abet the surveillance society.
If you're that worried, I assume you don't have a cell phone.
If they did/could track me, they would be very bored.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Got my new Viper today,,..No Onstar",.,.!hit,.,..,.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by lovinmywheels
I like onstar because I have locked the keys in the Escalade twice, once in an extremely remote area in Idaho and they unlocked it for me. I don't know what it would have cost to get a locksmith up there..... The problem is that I have two GM cars, the Escalade & the Corvette and it would be nice if they gave you some kind of multi car discount. I know it isn't real expensive but you know all this stuff adds up and I can only drive ONE car at a time! Sigh..... I know this isn't life or death stuff so sorry if I sound whiney.
CALL Onstar and ask for this discount ...

Here's my post #73

Originally Posted by Dif
I have 2 vehicles with Onstar.
Called Onstar about any discounts for 2 vehicles.
Been Renewing now for the past 2 years and get 14 months service for $148.32 per vehicle.
Approximately $10.64 per month.
Also, when the Vette goes into winter hibernation for 2-4 months, I can call Onstar.
They will suspend service until I call again, in the Spring and they reactive the service.
They then add the service for those suspended months, onto the end of the original expiration date.
Bottom line, can have 14 to 18 months of Onstar for less than $10.00 a month.
Worth it to me. YMMV
Old 05-27-2011, 01:26 AM
lovinmywheels
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Dif

Here's my post #73
Thanks for the info & by the way, I like the color of your car!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:11 AM
phillipce
7th Gear

Just wanted to let you guys now the contest is still going till the end of the month (May). I do digital work for OnStar and I'm not sure if you know or not but you can also enter via postcard. Here are the rules http://bit.ly/jKXf9o
Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Icetoad
Pro

They said there were alternative ways to win, but i could never find the "alternative" way. Thanks for the information, now i know what i am looking for!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:09 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
I don’t like the idea of “Big Daddy” watching my every move, using the pretence that they are “looking out for my best interest”. I’m from the old school. I can keep track of my own minor services, tire pressure, how fast I’m going etc. I was without a cell phone most of my life; I don’t need one attached to my car. I have a cell and I will decide if I take it with me or not.

A story can always be reported or contrived where OnStar allegedly saved a life, notwithstanding how the incident would might have still worked out satisfactorily without the corporate surveillance box.

This OnStar thing seems so “let’s put a chip under the skin on your arm”, “the government is here to help you”, “don’t worry it’s for your best interest”.

Some of us removed the OnStar b/c free men and women don't aid and abet the surveillance society.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by lsnetman
This has probably been answered before but...Got a call from OnStar today as my free service was due to end. They offered a renewal for $12.95 a month. Does this seem worth it? My insurance (USAA) and credit card (AmEx) both cover roadside assistance. Thanks in advance for the input.
Tell them you want the Corvette $77.00 deal!! They will give to you!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by lovinmywheels
Thanks for the info & by the way, I like the color of your car!
You're Welcome
Congrats on the New GS, and see you also have a great Color
Old 05-27-2011, 03:18 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lsnetman
This has probably been answered before but...Got a call from OnStar today as my free service was due to end. They offered a renewal for $12.95 a month. Does this seem worth it? My insurance (USAA) and credit card (AmEx) both cover roadside assistance. Thanks in advance for the input.
Originally Posted by Neil Baker
Tell them you want the Corvette $77.00 deal!! They will give to you!
I heard of the $77 deal with XM called ZWINBACK. I haven't heard of $77 a year for Onstar. My Onstar runs out in July. I would love to see $77 a year.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 PM
eric04
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by aseipos
Free 6mo trial was due to expire next month so I called them tonight asking to remove my credit card number from the auto-renewal as I planned to not enroll (I had added some minutes to the account soon after buying the car).

I was asked if I wanted the account canceled and told them I intended to first use all the phone minutes I paid for but planned to then let the account expire as I thought it was overpriced.

She asked if she could switch me to someone who could offer me a discounted rate. I agreed and was offered 14 months at $149 to which I agreed. I asked if that rate was available for 2 or 3 years but was told it was not. She did suggest calling back any time in the next 14 months and asking if it could be extended, suggesting that it then might be possible.
is that $149 for the safe and sound plan or the directions and connections?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 PM
rmarks
Racer

Default How about OnStar Nav?

I just got a 2008 and was thinking about activating OnStar.

I've owned Corvettes for years and never had on stolen and never locked my keys / fob in one. So I don't know about those features.

I do not have built in Nav and I wonder how good and useful the "turn-by-turn" Nav with OnStar is. No one has mentioned it yet?

I do have a Garmin for long trips but normally do not carry it in the car. So for short - I'm confused - issues, it may be helpful??

I think I will try it for a year and see. But want opinions.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

Although I’m unfamiliar with how someone receives discounts, I’m guessing this person was talking about Safe and Sound because that is regularly priced $199/year.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 PM
ebf2k
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-14

I renewed last month for 2 years Safe & Sound plan, but I got an email from On Star yesterday saying they couldn't charge my credit card for my monthly Connection & Directions plan. Something's not right! To make a long story short, between On Star's system upgrade and having an old credit card on file, I ended up getting the 2 years Safe & Sound for $312 vs the normal $382 and they kicked in an extra 4 months for all the trouble of making me call them to straighten this out. So now I'm good thru December 2013.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar Renewal

Old 08-02-2011, 02:48 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmarks
I just got a 2008 and was thinking about activating OnStar.

I've owned Corvettes for years and never had on stolen and never locked my keys / fob in one. So I don't know about those features.

I do not have built in Nav and I wonder how good and useful the "turn-by-turn" Nav with OnStar is. No one has mentioned it yet?

I do have a Garmin for long trips but normally do not carry it in the car. So for short - I'm confused - issues, it may be helpful??

I think I will try it for a year and see. But want opinions.
My wife has it on her Caddy and I had it on my Vette. Gave it up after the free period. I found it only as good as the person programing your route. Seemed like 1/3 the time the route given was far from ideal.

On our trip south from CT to FL, while on the Jersy TPKE I asked to program in the entire route to our home in FL. Every exit on the TPKE we were directed to exit. Maybe it knows something I don't, but after 4-5 directions to exit, I called and had them cancel. I have had several other experiences in FL where I believe they had not programed in a new hway that would have shortened the routes. But on the other hand, there have been times when the directions were spot on.

To me, with the limited miles I drive the Vette, the entire service just wasn't worth it to me. My wife still has it on her car though.

The cell phone is another issue. I have all my main phone numbers programed into the Blue Tooth system. Since the On Star is a seperate system, if you don't duplicate the programing you have to have the numbers memorized. Hence the minutes we originally bought have never been used. They did extend them on my wifes car simply by asking. Although I don't think they will ever be used.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 PM
aseipos
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by eric04
is that $149 for the safe and sound plan or the directions and connections?
The $149 was for 14 months of Safe & Sound. After giving the Directions & Connections plan a try for the free period, I decided it was truly annoying, even more than my ancient TomTom which is now replaced with a Garmin Nuvi - problem solved.

I do like having the Safe & Sound plan's hands-free phone, now that minutes are so cheap on it and Google Voice integrates it with my cell, home, and work phones.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif

Here's my post #73

THANK YOU!! (yes, I am shouting at you!)

Just called up and did this for my vert and my wife's G8 GT.

Quick Reply: OnStar Renewal