C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Bliss to Rage in 2miles-- Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 PM
AKC_C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Bliss to Rage in 2miles-- Need advice

I live in Chicago, but store my C6 in Michigan for the winters. The time finally came a few weeks ago and I went to pick it up. Removed the car cover and it was even more beautiful than I remembered. Started it up and it sounded more menacing than ever... As if it was filled with uncontrollable rage from not being driven for 4 months.

After spending a few minutes of idling bliss, we start to make our way back to Chicago. Get on the highway and after driving about 2 miles, CRACK! A MF'ing stone hits the windshield directly in my line of sight. Now we're both filled with rage.

Storytelling aside, the rock chip in the windshield is about the size of a dime and hasnt spidered yet. I've heard that the HUD windshields have a different coating than typical windshields.. Anyone know if this is true? Is filling/fixing still an option as opposed to replacement?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice from those whom have suffered the same experience.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AKC_C6
I live in Chicago, but store my C6 in Michigan for the winters. The time finally came a few weeks ago and I went to pick it up. Removed the car cover and it was even more beautiful than I remembered. Started it up and it sounded more menacing than ever... As if it was filled with uncontrollable rage from not being driven for 4 months.

After spending a few minutes of idling bliss, we start to make our way back to Chicago. Get on the highway and after driving about 2 miles, CRACK! A MF'ing stone hits the windshield directly in my line of sight. Now we're both filled with rage.

Storytelling aside, the rock chip in the windshield is about the size of a dime and hasnt spidered yet. I've heard that the HUD windshields have a different coating than typical windshields.. Anyone know if this is true? Is filling/fixing still an option as opposed to replacement?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice from those whom have suffered the same experience.

Thanks!
I'd get it fixed asap before it spreads. I have an '05 with HUD and had the same exact thing happen. Got it fixed and it has been fine for almost 2 years now. Safelite fixed mine. http://www.safelite.com/
Old 05-11-2011, 12:30 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AKC_C6

Thanks!
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Filling / Fixing is an option (I did it on a Bonneville SSE with HUD many years ago), but keep in mind, this option pretty much fuses the glass around the chip to prevent cracks running across the windshield. While it will look 100% better than the chip you currently have, you will still notice the mark depending upon the size of the chip and the depth into the glass.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

bummer
Old 05-11-2011, 12:32 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

You would be very hard pressed to see the fixed part of my windshield and it is right in the line of sight.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

From what's been posted here, it appears there are several different windshields.

With and without HUD, and with and without OnStar, or a combination of these.

Not sure why an OnStar windshield would be different but, like I said, that's whats been posted by guys dealing with dealers/glass shops.

Gene Culley (GMPartsHouse) undoubtedly has the answer and a great price for OEM.

Good Luck
Old 05-11-2011, 12:43 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
You would be very hard pressed to see the fixed part of my windshield and it is right in the line of sight.
Don't disagree but I know from the experience the larger / deeper the chip the more noticeable it can be. On my older Bonneville I had a chip 3/4" in diameter and the glass shop estimated it to be about 1/3 of the way deep in the windshield and while they did an amazing job fixing it, while it looked nice, on certain sunny angles the spot was very noticeable looking thorough the windshield (blurry appearing).

I also had a smaller chip (~1/4" in dia) on my 07 Dodge caliber that is 100% perfect and while I can show you the general spot it was, I can no longer find it.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:45 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Check the threads but it appears the difference between a HUD and non HUD windshield is so minimal it's not worth the extra cost unless insurance in paying! Many guys have been doing after market hud install by Steve Doten (forum vendor) and report they have zero issues seeing the hud in almost all conditions. I have a factory hud so I can't speak to the differences (if any) between the respective windshields. If getting a HUD windshield becomes an issue I'd check out using a standard one.. this assumes you aren't happy with a repair of the current problem..
Old 05-11-2011, 12:46 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT
Don't disagree but I know from the experience the larger / deeper the chip the more noticeable it can be. On my older Bonneville I had a chip 3/4" in diameter and the glass shop estimated it to be about 1/3 of the way deep in the windshield and while they did an amazing job fixing it, while it looked nice, on certain sunny angles the spot was very noticeable looking thorough the windshield (blurry appearing).

I also had a smaller chip (~1/4" in dia) on my 07 Dodge caliber that is 100% perfect and while I can show you the general spot it was, I can no longer find it.
My suggestion would still be to fix it since most insurance will pick up the tab for that. Replacing the whole windshield is always an option later if the fix doesn't work.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:04 PM
gerryt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go nuts with that in my line of site. Cost me $400 to replace my HUD windshield and I am glad I did.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:08 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

only a pro can tell you if it can be repaired but having it done about 7 times in 3 diff. cars, I'd say from your description it is able to be fixed. you may notice something after the fix, but it will be minor. and the cost is reasonable, usually about 70 or so. there are independent shops besides the bigger names like safelite.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

To partially high jack this thread. I would think most insurance coverage would include glass replacement with no deductible. I know mine does. I have done it several times, no problem. No questions asked. New windshield very happy.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
only a pro can tell you if it can be repaired but having it done about 7 times in 3 diff. cars, I'd say from your description it is able to be fixed. you may notice something after the fix, but it will be minor. and the cost is reasonable, usually about 70 or so. there are independent shops besides the bigger names like safelite.
And as stated above, insurance usually covers it.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM
John_Syb
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My insurance compnay said that if the chip was in the direct line of sight, then replacement was the only option.

No real profit in it for them as it was vocered under our comprehensive coverage.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Scotten
Racer

Seen elsewhere on CF:

Park car in sunlight, then whack spot with the back of your hand and the chip will spiderweb. Insurance will replace a spiderweb'd windshield, but not one that's been chipped.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
My suggestion would still be to fix it since most insurance will pick up the tab for that. Replacing the whole windshield is always an option later if the fix doesn't work.
Agreed
Old 05-11-2011, 01:50 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

IMHO I would forget about fixing the windshield . The repair will never bring the windshield back to 100 percent . You should be covered by insurance with no money out of pocket . Just make sure the crack gets a little bigger .

Get notified of new replies

To From Bliss to Rage in 2miles-- Need advice

Old 05-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John_Syb

...if the chip was in the direct line of sight, then replacement was the only option.
I had a place turn me away years ago because they defined "line of sight" as any area within the sweep of BOTH windshield wipers?!?!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:34 PM
legbuh
Racer

Go for a replacement as well. I always get full glass covered on my State Farm covered vehicles. I just call the place that does the windows, they ask who is my agent, do the work, and it's done in a day.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:44 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
I had a place turn me away years ago because they defined "line of sight" as any area within the sweep of BOTH windshield wipers?!?!
Not today they wouldn't.

I seriously cannot hardly see this repair and have had it a long time. I'm sure some fixes might not turn out as well.

Quick Reply: From Bliss to Rage in 2miles-- Need advice