C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I pass emissions testing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:52 PM
vettecop1125
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Default Would I pass emissions testing?

I have a 2007 coupe with heads, cam, headers, high flow cats, intake and exhaust. My state (Indiana) is talking about the possibility of starting to conduct emissions testing. Would I have anything to worry about? I know absolutely nothing about the testing, what they check, exemptions, fines, etc. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated from those that go through the process.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:57 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by vettecop1125
I have a 2007 coupe with heads, cam, headers, high flow cats, intake and exhaust. My state (Indiana) is talking about the possibility of starting to conduct emissions testing. Would I have anything to worry about? I know absolutely nothing about the testing, what they check, exemptions, fines, etc. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated from those that go through the process.
If they just sniff, *probably* will get by.

If they just plug into the OBDII port to check for codes, also probably ok -- easy enough to check for codes before taking the car in.

If they do visual inspections, you're dead meat (unless you find a friendly station).

I suspect the state is looking at the full 9 yards -- EPA has been breathing down the necks of the upper industrial states to initiate and/or upgrade testing, and the old "just plug into the OBDII" test is going away.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:58 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Most likely. Depends upon how they implement it. Many states used the ODBII check for 1996 and newer cars, a few may still be doing the dyno roller test. If you don't have a check engine light, and you haven't had any checks tuned out, you should pass the ODBII check.

For reference, my 1995 Camaro, with similar mods passed a dyno roller test pretty easily. Adding in the bottom end build made it much closer, but it still passes. So, unless you have some things not ready in the computer, or you have bad cats, or a crazy aggressive cam and they do dyno roller checks, you should be fine.

**EDIT** MNEBLETT hit reply before I could. Seems like no conflicting advice though
Old 05-03-2011, 03:17 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you'll pass if you dont have any dtc codes present. if they wanna do a visual have a few extra bucks on hand or make sure its a kid and just bs with him.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:22 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by mneblett
If they just sniff, *probably* will get by.

If they just plug into the OBDII port to check for codes, also probably ok -- easy enough to check for codes before taking the car in.

If they do visual inspections, you're dead meat (unless you find a friendly station).

I suspect the state is looking at the full 9 yards -- EPA has been breathing down the necks of the upper industrial states to initiate and/or upgrade testing, and the old "just plug into the OBDII" test is going away.
I am sure Indiana has looked at what IL does and might be considering the same thing as posted above for the most part, minus the visual inspections

My C5 had heads/cam/headers, hi-flow cats, cam loped good and car was loud and I passed in IL all 3 times I had to go, I had a tune of course and no CEL lights on., all they did was plug in to the OBII port. No visual inspection (knock knock wood) .
Old 05-03-2011, 03:34 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1
Most likely. Depends upon how they implement it. Many states used the ODBII check for 1996 and newer cars, a few may still be doing the dyno roller test. If you don't have a check engine light, and you haven't had any checks tuned out, you should pass the ODBII check.

For reference, my 1995 Camaro, with similar mods passed a dyno roller test pretty easily. Adding in the bottom end build made it much closer, but it still passes. So, unless you have some things not ready in the computer, or you have bad cats, or a crazy aggressive cam and they do dyno roller checks, you should be fine.

**EDIT** MNEBLETT hit reply before I could. Seems like no conflicting advice though
I believe that if you have the rear O2s tuned out, which is typically needed to prevent setting a check engine light whether you are running headers with or without cats, that part of the OBD test will come back "not ready".

Depending on where you live, you may be able to still pass that particular time, and up to as many as 2 other times in that "not ready" condition.

But if it's not corrected by that third time, you fail.

Thus if you are inspected each year, depending on where you live, you may be able to get by for up to three years with your rear O2s tuned out.

By the same token, depending on where you live, as soon as they see that "not ready" indicated from the rear O2s having been tuned out, then you fail emissions right off the bat.

Get notified of new replies

To Would I pass emissions testing?

Quick Reply: Would I pass emissions testing?