C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley bolt loose at 50,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 03:37 PM
jwswanson
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pulley bolt loose at 50,000 miles

I've been worried about this for years since my '05 is in the VIN range for the loose bolt. Fortunately I have GMPP for 10,000 more miles and a few months. About a month ago I had a check coolant light and added a quart or so to the reservoir.

Again about 2 weeks ago I got the light and added a little water but there has been no leak evident under the car. Everything looked okay in the front of the engine while it was idling so I didn't worry about it. Then about a week later I heard a chirp for a second so I checked the belt pulley and it had a very slight wobble. I arranged to take the car in the next day for a number of items and checked the wobble before driving to the dealership- clearly worse so I drove with no more than about 1500 rpm to the shop.

They found a bad water pump and replaced that, assuming my comments about the pulley bolt were missdirected since I also told them about the water addition. After putting it back together, the mechanic saw the wobble was worse so he had to start over with that problem too. He has the new pulley, new bolt and washer so it looks like they are following the bulletin to correctly do the repair. I am surprised it took this long for the problem to arise but glad I have the GMPP.

I also started having the DBS about 2 months ago and they are still working on that. Since it was going in anyway I also had them do the two recalls - new top and tie-wrap for the active handling. I also picked something up in a rear tire which beat the c**p out of the wheel well and damaged the quarter panel so those will be fixed/painted along with the new top, if they ever get finished with the mechanical/electrical issues. My car is out of commission for several weeks but the timing is good as I close in on the end of the extended warranty. Seems like a lot, but I did delay some of these items, reluctant to have anyone work on the car. Hope it all comes out ok.

John
Old 05-02-2011, 04:02 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Some things you can wait on, other need immeadiate attention. Hope they don't have your car too long.

Quick Reply: Pulley bolt loose at 50,000 miles