C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 and 2006 vettes ... any known problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BD TTT
Thinking of going for a 05-06 vette with a manual tranny as they are in my price range. Any known problems? Any reason to stay away from these years?

Appreciate any input
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

- '05s had a weaker rear end than the '06 and newer.

- column lock only affected auto trans cars (I think), manual trans did not have this problem.

- roof delamination only affected coupes with the painted roof, glass roof coupes are fine and if I'm not mistaken the roof delamination issue is a recall item now (you'll have to look into that further).

- stay away from first year of a new model (see 1 and 2 above, both problems that were corrected in the second and third year)

That all said, the 08s (maybe 07s as well?) are known to have a fuel fume leak inside the car. Do a search for better info - I don't have all the details.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:38 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfkiller
yes gm built it plenty strong. if you dont wanna push the car to its full potential. there are plenty of stories of broken diffs from guys that were on the street. of course anytime you push a card that hard you adding alot of extra wear and asking for failure (3000 rpm launch). yes the 05 diff is plenty strong if you just wanna street drive it and enjoy a top off cruiser with a lil power. mine is a 05 and i love it, but i also only took it to the track once and wont go back till i upgrade diff.
If its an A4 you will likely never have a problem with the differential.10 years with a slick and 3200 stall on the car and no issues ever.the auto cars do not wheel hop

Last edited by irok; 06-06-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:47 PM
irok
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LifeInAVette
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

- '05s had a weaker rear end than the '06 and newer.

- column lock only affected auto trans cars (I think), manual trans did not have this problem.

- roof delamination only affected coupes with the painted roof, glass roof coupes are fine and if I'm not mistaken the roof delamination issue is a recall item now (you'll have to look into that further).

- stay away from first year of a new model (see 1 and 2 above, both problems that were corrected in the second and third year)

That all said, the 08s (maybe 07s as well?) are known to have a fuel fume leak inside the car. Do a search for better info - I don't have all the details.
the auto cars did not have column lock or dead batterey syndrome.those issues were with 05 manual cars.roof delamination was approximately first 5 model years and replaced at no cost to owner by GM recall.some cars have had issues but no year is known to have fume leak in interior of car

Last edited by irok; 06-06-2016 at 10:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike McManus (06-10-2021)
Old 06-06-2016, 09:56 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
the auto cars did not have column lock or dead batterey syndrome.roof delamination was approximately first 5 model years and replaced at no cost to owner by GM recall.no year is known to have fume leak in interior of car
Fuel leak:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-gas-leak.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-in-cabin.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...gas-smell.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-gas-odor.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-gas-leak.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ine-smell.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...t-started.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-and-leak.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ealership.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...om-dealer.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...l-problem.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...as-in-car.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...gas-smell.html
Old 06-06-2016, 10:02 PM
irok
Safety Car

it dosent make it specific to any year because a few have had an issue.do you realize how many of these cars have been built?dont buy one that you can smell fuel in

Last edited by irok; 06-06-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I have an 05 and for the most part it has been a great car. My complaints are with the battery/keyfob and the manual transmission. Sometimes the battery does not sync with the car and I have to disconnect the battery then reconnect and whala it starts. I carry a bag of tools to do the reconnecting at all times. It's been a PIA. Then the AC/Powerseats/Radio/Tilt all get funked up too.
The manual tranny on an 05 is probably about as smooth as the shifter in a 1960's dump truck the gears are sloppy and it's so easy to miss gears.

I remember when I was on heroin for the past decade all of these problems seemed like no big deal, now that I'm clean for once all this **** has driven me insane. I recently had to park it because I am fed up with the car. I choose to drive my 06 Taurus with holes of rust. The Vette is a great highway car, but as a DD or around the city F that.

Last edited by Mr.Nubain; 06-07-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Arthur6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought my 05, March 2005 off the showroom floor.
Stick, convertible. 80000 miles.
Been in the shop once for Gas gauge repair at about 5000 miles.
On 3rd set of tires. Oil changed once a year needed or not courtesy of our local dealer at no charge.
Replaced brakes and rotors at about 76000. Air filter & belts at 50000 or so.
I drive it, wife drives it. I've let tons of others drive it.
Top (manual) has been up and down at least a thousand times.
Car runs and drives great. It's quite when the top is up.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,492 Likes on 801 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've had my 06 since new. It's a convertible A6 with just under 38K miles. No issues so far. I hope to keep it another 10 years.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:49 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 547 Likes on 262 Posts
USN

When I was looking only a 2008 or newer was considered. Better engine, steering and interior are a few of the reasons. If you can swing it always buy the newest you can afford. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:33 PM
snuggy
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been trying to break my differential(2005) for the last month since I bought it...hasn't happened yet!!
The only problem I know of is not having upgraded from my C5 sooner.

Relax, the car is good. Just make sure you get a clean well maintained one.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:45 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

In the 6 years I've been on this form I think I may have read 2 posts from people that have actually had the rear diff break. If it were as common as everyone says I would think there would be many more threads about it actually happening.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Amicon
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
If you don't like a thread topic, why click on it? The title clearly stated what this was about.
If the only posts that came up here were items that had never been discussed, there would be nothing posted here. Everything has come up before. Everything. There are always new people who just bought their dream car and they have questions. The same questions we all had when we bought our dream cars. Sorry for the rant but I get really sick of the "search for it" comments.
Without the new guys, this forum would die. If you don't like a topic, don't reply to it.
Can't win..If people search and dredge up old threads , they are chastised for it. If the just ask a question they are told to use the search function Thankfully most do play internet captain and answer the questions.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:51 PM
snuggy
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Amicon
Can't win..If people search and dredge up old threads , they are chastised for it. If the just ask a question they are told to use the search function Thankfully most do play internet captain and answer the questions.
This has bugged me before. Whats the point of a forum if not to exchange new and old topic matter with other members? Otherwise it becomes a reference library!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sma sh:
The following 2 users liked this post by snuggy:
mtofell (10-16-2023), wideglideleon (12-26-2019)
Old 10-29-2018, 06:35 PM
Harrison Pratt
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2005 Manual transmission, 16,000 miles.

HVAC air handler failed, had to remove dash to replace failed air control membrane a few years ago -- very expensive. Now get a strange sound from HVAC system under dash and I get only AC, no heat. It's looking like another expensive dashboard tearout/replace.

Front right wheel speed sensor failing intermittently, resulting in LR brake locking at speed to correct "impending spin" that wasn't happening -- pretty exciting! Took dealer WEEKS to sort it out.

Get "check active handling system" messages all the time. Dealer can't find problem, even when I take it there immediately and the light is still ON.

Key fob switch to open rear hatch is too sensitive, so hatch pops open 'accidentally' and drains the battery. I can NEVER leave the key fob in my pocket when not driving the car.

Drivetrain 'clanks' if shifts are not perfectly synchronized or motoring slowly around parking lots, very annoying.

It's a nice car when everything works, but it's been VERY expensive to maintain ... and I've been a 'Vette owner of every series since 1976, so I know how it goes with these cars.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:32 AM
SwampRat
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased an 05 manual vert in June and it has been great so far. It has 79,000 on it. The only problems I've had are the "key fob not detected" sometimes (I replaced the battery, but that did nothing) and a message about the tire sensor that came up once and never again. Other than that it's been smooth sailing. Unfortunately, it sailed into storage for the winter this week.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:44 PM
Dr. Peter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In December 2017 I bought a manual red convertible base model. It had only 18,000 miles on it. I have driven it daily ever since - including in the snow. No problems except a water pump and a noisy rear differential which was fixed with new fluid. If there is any doubt about reliability, it is a Chevy. If you track it, you will break it. Otherwise, go for it. It is a blast.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:22 PM
scbob
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same with my 2005. It's been a great car. The Z51 suspension is worth every penny. I wouldn't buy a 'vette without it.
The following users liked this post:
Rossdog (10-12-2019)

Quick Reply: 2005 and 2006 vettes ... any known problems?