C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 03:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

DIY Dual Mode Exhaust Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:19 PM
65Corvette
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Default DIY Dual Mode Exhaust Switch

Didn't want to highjack the Official Mildy to Wildy Exhaust thread, but having a hard time understanding why my felllow Corvette brethren would shell out 90 clams for a mod you can do yourself for about $10 in parts and 10 minutes work. The dual mode exhaust function on C6 Corvettes with the NPP option is controlled by a 10amp fuse located in the fuse panel in the front of the passanger footbox. The way the system is set up the butterflies in the inside two exhaust ports open when the engine is turned off to prevent the butterflies from sticking closed during long periods of storage. That's why the Vettes with this feature sound AWESOME when they first start up, but soon after start up the butterflies close and then only open again above 3500 rpm's. Easiest way to keep the butterflies open all the time and keep that great sound is to simply pull the fuse (it's clearly marked in the fuse panel). This deactivates the sensor and keeps the butterflies fully open all the time and will not damage your car in any way. Only problem with this is it doesn't give you the option of toning the rumble down quickly and easily should the need arise (Cell phone calls [hands-free of course], slipping in or out late at night, cops, etc....) The $10 solution to this problem is to replace the 10 amp fuse with a mini add a circuit wired to a simple toggle switched installed where ever you like (I have mine in the glove box so its out of sight but can still be easily reached from behind the wheel). With the toggle switch in the off position the fuse is disabled just like its been pulled and the butterflies are fully open. flipping the toggle switch to the open position completes the circuit for the fuse and the system returns to full factory specs. Detailed instructions available for FREE if anyone is interested.

Last edited by 65Corvette; 04-21-2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typos
The following 3 users liked this post by 65Corvette:
ArmchairArchitect (03-06-2017), Cardinal Flyer (09-10-2018), FatChance (11-10-2022)
Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Kwagnerhvac
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts

I personally like the ability to use the remote. It seems alot of people get a kick from turning the exhaust from a mild to a wild sound with a push of a button outside the car. Worth $90, maybe not. But pretty close I'd say.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM
65Corvette
Racer

That's cool. You push a button, I flip a switch.
It's all good and sounds GREAT.
Wish there was a factory installed switch/button hard wired into the factory dash or console. That would be slick, but obviously would never be allowed by the Feds.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:47 PM
chris12.8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the whole idea of a remote is lose to me. how many situations come about were your car is idling and your not in it an go oh i want it to be louder at IDLE which is a minimal difference BTW. A toggle switch makes the most sense to me on/off no extra thing on your key chain no batteries. I just don't get it waste of money but corvette guys are use to paying more then they should for most stuff and call it corvette tax.
The following users liked this post:
FatChance (11-10-2022)
Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM
BA-C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made my own M to W with the parts off amazon for less then $20 and about 10 min. which ever way you want to go it all sounds good.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:15 PM
AlfredMay
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My switch is on the dead pedal and is like the old foot mounted headlight dimmer switch.
jaki30 (03-04-2023)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 PM
65Corvette
Racer

Originally Posted by AlfredMay
My switch is on the dead pedal and is like the old foot mounted headlight dimmer switch.
Now that's cool!

Where did you get the old school dimmer switch?

Last edited by 65Corvette; 04-20-2011 at 07:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 65Corvette:
chrisg03 (08-03-2023), sd45t2 (01-31-2021)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM
banjo04072
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 65Corvette
Didn't want to highjack the Official Mild 2 Wild Exhaust thread, but having a hard time understanding why my felllow Corvette brethren would shell out 90 clams for a mod you can do yourself for about $10 in parts and 10 minutes work. The dual mode exhaust function on C6 Corvettes with the NPP option is controlled by a 10amp fuse located in the fuse panel in the front of the passanger footbox. The way the system is set up the butterflies in the inside two exhaust ports open when the engine is turned off to prevent the butterflies from sticking closed during long periods of storage. That's why the Vettes with this feature sound AWESOME when they first start up, but soon after start up the butterflies close and then only open again above 3500 rpm's. Easiest way to keep the butterflies open all the time and keep that great sound is to simply pull the fuse (it's clearly marked in the fuse panel). This deactivates the sensor and keeps the butterflies fully open all the time and will not damage your car in any way. Only problem with this is it doesn't give you the option of toning the rumble down quickly and easily should the need arise (Cell phone calls [hands-free of course], slipping in or out late at night, cops, etc....) The $10 solution to this problem is to replace the 10 amp fuse with a mini add a circuit wired to a simple toggle switched installed where ever you like (I have mine in the glove box so its out of sight but can still be easily reached from behind the wheel). With the toggle switch in the off position the fuse is disabled just like its been pulled and the butterflies are fully open. flipping the toggle switch to the open position completes the circuit for the fuse and the system returns to full factory specs. Detailed instructions available for FREE if anyone is interested.
Hey,
Sounds good.....e-mail them to me @banjo04072@maine.rr.com ...when I get a chance this summer I'll wire it up. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 PM
bojangles
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

I would like to try this. Pls send detailed instructions to: bynes@mac.com
Thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 07:41 PM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Corvette
Didn't want to highjack the Official Mild 2 Wild Exhaust thread, but having a hard time understanding why my felllow Corvette brethren would shell out 90 clams for a mod you can do yourself for about $10 in parts and 10 minutes work. The dual mode exhaust function on C6 Corvettes with the NPP option is controlled by a 10amp fuse located in the fuse panel in the front of the passanger footbox. The way the system is set up the butterflies in the inside two exhaust ports open when the engine is turned off to prevent the butterflies from sticking closed during long periods of storage. That's why the Vettes with this feature sound AWESOME when they first start up, but soon after start up the butterflies close and then only open again above 3500 rpm's. Easiest way to keep the butterflies open all the time and keep that great sound is to simply pull the fuse (it's clearly marked in the fuse panel). This deactivates the sensor and keeps the butterflies fully open all the time and will not damage your car in any way. Only problem with this is it doesn't give you the option of toning the rumble down quickly and easily should the need arise (Cell phone calls [hands-free of course], slipping in or out late at night, cops, etc....) The $10 solution to this problem is to replace the 10 amp fuse with a mini add a circuit wired to a simple toggle switched installed where ever you like (I have mine in the glove box so its out of sight but can still be easily reached from behind the wheel). With the toggle switch in the off position the fuse is disabled just like its been pulled and the butterflies are fully open. flipping the toggle switch to the open position completes the circuit for the fuse and the system returns to full factory specs. Detailed instructions available for FREE if anyone is interested.
This is basically what I did. Went to Radio Shack, bought a link and a switch. Mounted it out of sight, but within hands reach. I thought it was easier than fumbling around with a remote. To each their own.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 PM
banjo04072
Advanced

Sorry- sometimes fingers are faster then my thouhts! e-mail is: banjo04072@maine.rr.com. LMK what I have to get and details for installation. Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 PM
banjo04072
Advanced

Thanks for the instructions. Sounds simple enough. Enjoy the summer with your ride. Can't wait until the weather up here let's me take it out.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Sillyme
Racer

Originally Posted by AlfredMay
Thats what I did. Put a switch on the dead pedal. I made my own remote befor. It worked fine, but I changed it over to the switch. I like the step on switch I can just step on much better. Much easier to open or close at anytime while on the move. I dont have to find the remote!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 PM
brianz51ls3
Instructor

Can you send instructions to bv1760@aol.com
Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,381 Likes on 796 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...with-pics.html

You can get a push button lamp switch at Lowes for a $3-4 that works great.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd like the instructions. theompyt88@hotmail.com I am trying to figure out where the open is if 2 fuses are in the slots. Why not open a fuse, run a fuse inline with the input to the switch, then back to the otherside of the fuse. When off the NPP is off, when on the npp is activated. What about a PTM/PTB switch?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 PM
MuscleVette
Racer

Alexkac@gmail.com would love the instructions too

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Dual Mode Exhaust Switch

Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
65Corvette
Racer

Instructions sent to those that provided eMail addresses.

Since I've already received one nasty note from the maker of what I'm sure is the totally awesome "Mild2Wild" product, please let me be very clear I am in no way affiliated with the "Mild2Wild" products being advertised on other threads on this forum. I didn't invent this mod and doubt that they did either. If it makes the "Mild2Wild" people happy I'll continue to refer to this mod as DIY Dual Mode Exhaust Switch as I believe I did in the original post. If you sent me your email address and don't get a set of instructions, send me a PM and I'll re-send. Save the Wave.
ArmchairArchitect (03-06-2017)
Old 04-21-2011, 12:35 PM
MANECKED
Instructor

Am interested in installing a DIY Dual Mode exhaust switch and would appreciate a set of instructions. Very generous of you, thanks. E-mail is manecda@netzero.net.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:46 PM
AlfredMay
Racer

To the OP

I used the lamp switch another poster mentioned he purchased at Lowes. Virtually any switch will do, but this one is nice and small. The hardest part of the job is fishing the wire under the dash. I used a wire coat hanger as a fish tape and probed just above the gas pedal.

Quick Reply: DIY Dual Mode Exhaust Switch