C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebony vs Black Lloyd mat set question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:45 PM
bigblock455
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ebony vs Black Lloyd mat set question?

I got my Red Jack Lloyds floor mat set with cargo liner in Ebony. Now it seems to me that the ebony is lighter than the mats in my car and the rear hatch cargo area rug? my car is a 2008 C6. Is it just me or did I get the wrong color? Oh yeah love the Red Jakes!! Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:55 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock455
I got my Red Jack Lloyds floor mat set with cargo liner in Ebony. Now it seems to me that the ebony is lighter than the mats in my car and the rear hatch cargo area rug? my car is a 2008 C6. Is it just me or did I get the wrong color? Oh yeah love the Red Jakes!! Thanks in advance.
i got black for that reason. nice contrast.. the ebony seems to have a light green tinge to it in bright light.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't think you want Black....it's waaay too dark. But here are some pics of Black mats in wolfdogs' car:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...something.html
Old 04-19-2011, 06:59 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
I don't think you want Black....it's waaay too dark. But here are some pics of Black mats in wolfdogs' car:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...something.html
LOL..thanks.. those are poor pics though.. it looks much better in person.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:59 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
i got black for that reason. nice contrast.. the ebony seems to have a light green tinge to it in bright light.
I got ebony a was very disappointed because it didn't match any of the ebony in my interior due to the greenish tint which sucks big time.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 PM
bigblock455
Instructor

Thanks guys for the input. I put them in and though not perfect they are not far off. The kind and angle of the light makes a big difference on how it looks. Wolfdog I checked your car out and it looks sweet. I really don't think ebony or black look bad or one looks better than the other. I got the Jakes with the racing on them. I like it and since it says "Racing" I figure it shows my support for the effort. Now if it said "Racer" I'd have to say poser. As a side note I really like the Jake Skull on your B pillar. I have a VR car and want a black one like yours to contrast my black ZR-1 rims. again to each his own. I like skulls and have them as tattoos so having them on my Corvette is a no brainer. The Apis ones are made of plastic aren't they? Thanks again for the input.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 PM
GaryJK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock455
I also bought a Lloyd's mat bundle with Cashmere Floor Mats and Ebony Cargo Mat for my vert. When I openned the box , I had the same concern about the Ebony Mat. I haven't put them in yet, but will do so tomorrow. Being a convertible it's like a black hole back there. I hope it matches.

Gary
Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 PM
motorcop71
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I went through this same dilemma. The lloyds ebony doesn't match the ebony carpet of my 2010 GS, but the black is too dark. I said f*ck it and ordered ebony with red jakes. There's worse problems to have right?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Metal Skull
Burning Brakes

Black is WAY better. I've now returned multiple sets of their ebony mats for vettes AND my silverado as well because the ebony totally doesn't match. I've heard the "maybe you got a bad batch" excuse far too many times. It's clearly an issue with their production because it's been reported here over and over by different members.

There was another thread on this topic that got locked for some reason:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nce-ebony.html

Check out my black mats:

Old 04-19-2011, 10:54 PM
bigblock455
Instructor

Originally Posted by motorcop71
I went through this same dilemma. The lloyds ebony doesn't match the ebony carpet of my 2010 GS, but the black is too dark. I said f*ck it and ordered ebony with red jakes. There's worse problems to have right?
The Red Jakes Rock and I prefer the ebony over the black but I like either over an other mats I've seen!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 PM
TEC6
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I do not have Jake on my mats but I decided to go with black mats with my ebony interior. I think the contrast looks good...
Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

If you want color match go with Stratmosphere mats. Almost 100% match to stock ebony. Way closer than the Lloyds (which I had in my C5 Z06).
Old 04-20-2011, 12:32 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
I didn't get the black, but

The Lloyds ebony doesn't match the Corvette ebony. Could tell installed, but really noticed when I took them outside for a good cleaning. Why the green?! They look pretty good in the car, but you don't have to look hard to tell they don't match.

I ordered a cheaper, plain cargo mat from a different vendor (can't remember who - maybe Mid America) and the ebony is close to a dead-on match to the Corvette.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:19 AM
cylon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by motorcop71
I am with you. I have a cyber gray vert with two tone interior and it is NOT black so I am hoping Ebony is the right match, but wont be losing sleep over it.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK4MTL
Black is WAY better. I've now returned multiple sets of their ebony mats for vettes AND my silverado as well because the ebony totally doesn't match. I've heard the "maybe you got a bad batch" excuse far too many times. It's clearly an issue with their production because it's been reported here over and over by different members.

There was another thread on this topic that got locked for some reason:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nce-ebony.html

Check out my black mats:
I had the same concerns, but looking at those pictures I'm actually glad I got the Ebony. The Black mats in those pictures, look entirely too dark and out of place. The interior looks dark grey, while the mats look very black.

When I first opened the box, I thought the mats I ordered were light grey instead of Ebony. But after running my hand over the carpet, and seeing the light change they became much darker. Once I installed them in the car, they matched up pretty well. Definitely well enough to look like a factory installed option.

Based on my experience. I would have to say if you have the Ebony interior, then the Ebony mats will match up just fine when installed in the car.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Metal Skull
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
The Black mats in those pictures, look entirely too dark and out of place. The interior looks dark grey, while the mats look very black.
The paint is black, the roof panel and visors are black, the carbon dash dressing and instrument panel is black, the windows are tinted black, etc. 95% of the car is black, so I'm not sure how exactly the black mats look out of place...

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Based on my experience. I would have to say if you have the Ebony interior, then the Ebony mats will match up just fine when installed in the car.
Based on going through this with 3 separate sets of mats for 3 separate vehicles, and the countless posts by other members who have experienced the same green/turquoise NON-ebony-matching issue, I'd say there is a decent chance they will NOT match up. Luckily Lloyds is pretty good about issuing an RMA to let you return them, but you have to pay to ship them back and it takes over a month to get your money back.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by TEC6
I do not have Jake on my mats but I decided to go with black mats with my ebony interior. I think the contrast looks good...
I did the same thing. Didn't want it to look like I tried to match (ebony) and was slightly off. Black took care of that. I just had the emblem and corvette added. Since my car is silver, I had them use silver bindings. Good Luck.

Last edited by Rich Mickol; 04-20-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ebony vs Black Lloyd mat set question?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Damn! I got ebony and don't like it compared to black! Those black mats look awesome!
Here's my ebony.

YUCK
Old 04-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Metal Skull
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Goatdad
Damn! I got ebony and don't like it compared to black! Those black mats look awesome!
Here's my ebony.

YUCK
Wow you can really see how bad the match is in this picture. And I remember pictures not even coming close to how bad it is in person. I can only imagine...
Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Vinnie T
Pro

I have the ultimate contrast by going with true black mats for a cashmere interior, and it looks great! Especially with the red Jake emblem and CORVETTE lettering. I also have cashmere Jake mats with the black Jake insert with silver lettering. It's a decent enough match for the cashmere interior and the Jake inserts give it a nice contrast with the dash. If I had the ebony interior, I'd probably still go with the true black mats.

I'm under the impression that Lloyd's doesn't really go out of their way to actually match the factory colors. I think they use whatever colors they already have available as a best match. The "cashmere" has too much yellow in it, and the ebony is kind of a washed out or salt/pepper black with an odd greenish hue in the sun as someone else mentioned.

Quick Reply: Ebony vs Black Lloyd mat set question?