C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Performance in the Rain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 AM
BTU83
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Performance in the Rain?

Hello,

I am an early C4 owner (my daily driver is an 06 mustang, V6) and I will soon be buying a 2005 Corvette. One question I had which I didn't previously consider is, how does the C6 400hp coupe perform in rainy and wet conditions? I live in the Seattle area where is rains 250 days a year and I'm worried about constantly hydroplaning or fishtailing on the highway (as my C4 does, I drove it in the rain once and never again) because of the high horsepower. Am I just being paranoid, maybe the C6 being a much newer car is equipped to better handle these conditions? Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:02 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Crap.

Get rid of any summer performance tires and replace with some all season / weather tires.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:11 AM
EricTheRed
Intermediate

I have all weather tires and you still have to go below 60 in heavy rain.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:14 AM
vetteman741
Burning Brakes

Location: Motorsports Capital of the World..Indianapolis Indiana
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C5 is awesome in the rain with my Michelin Pilot AS sport tires, i would assume the C6 is just as good or better than a C5.

I have driven many C4's and a lot of them were terrible in the rain.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 AM
RtotheDizzy
Instructor

Three things get you in trouble in the rain:
A light car
Large contact patches
Large power to the wheels

The C4 has all those. The C6 "suffers" from those issues even more. It has larger contact patches and more power. The traction control is much improved but at the end of the day if the tires aren't in contact with the pavement then no computer is going to be able to save you.

Wet/winter tires will certainly help but unless you put 500-1000 lbs in the back no corvette is going to be especially good in the rain.

I've had a 96 C4 as my DD for the past 8 years. I hate driving it in the rain. I just recently got a C6 but haven't really had it out in the rain much. Lucky I don't live in a place it rains often. If I were you I would't expect any improvement over the C4.

Sorry to be a downer.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:37 AM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The C6 is amazing in the rain. We get 60 inches a year in my area and I was very surprised how good the C6 does in the rain.

I use my vette as a DD and have no proplems at all in the rain.

I much prefer the vette in the rain over my Jeep liberty which I drive to work in the snow.

I know exactly were any deep puddles are on my drive to work.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:37 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Define "rain"

Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 AM
gaphono
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had similar concerns that were answered last year. I had to drive from the Corvette Museum Bash 2010 all the way back to Atlanta in the midst of the tropical storm that flooded much of the Southeast last year. You may recall that Nashville was hit really hard.
I have a C6 with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season run flat tires. These tires and the overall control of the car was excellent. I had to travel in some water levels that actually scared me from a worry of the engine ingesting water. I was able to travel with the flow of traffic of any other cars on the interstate.

So to sum it up, I have a lot of faith in this car with these tires.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:36 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Originally Posted by BTU83
One question I had which I didn't previously consider is, how does the C6 400hp coupe perform in rainy and wet conditions?
Believe it or not but I live in an area that gets more rain than Seattle, WA.
We get lake effect rainstorms that continually bombard us during the spring,
summer and fall months from Lake Erie.

I have an 08 C6 coupe which is my daily driver.
It's driven in the rain all the time.
No problems with hydroplaning IF you use common sense behind the wheel.
Slow down during rainstorms and you'll have no problems.

Last edited by coolcat; 04-07-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:41 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

As mentioned common sense driving considering the conditions and the Vette is fine in the rain, nothing to be concerned with.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dvilin
As mentioned common sense driving considering the conditions and the Vette is fine in the rain, nothing to be concerned with.

I drove 85 miles in the rain with a flat front tire at 60 mph with no problems, runflats I won't leave home without them.

Last edited by george vee; 04-07-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Forgot to mention that my 08 coupe is equipped with the regular Goodyear Eagle F1 EMT's.
They even perform well in light snow.
No need to get all season tires.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Just drove about 50 miles in the rain at about 75mph. Absolutely no problems. This was a light to moderate rain with Goodyear supercars. Just take it easy with the gas and its fine.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman741
My C5 is awesome in the rain with my Michelin Pilot AS sport tires, i would assume the C6 is just as good or better than a C5.
Originally Posted by gaphono
I had similar concerns that were answered last year. I had to drive from the Corvette Museum Bash 2010 all the way back to Atlanta in the midst of the tropical storm that flooded much of the Southeast last year. You may recall that Nashville was hit really hard. I have a C6 with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season run flat tires. These tires and the overall control of the car was excellent. I had to travel in some water levels that actually scared me from a worry of the engine ingesting water. I was able to travel with the flow of traffic of any other cars on the interstate. So to sum it up, I have a lot of faith in this car with these tires.
Same here. And to add.. it was even awesome in the snow. Will driving it home from the dealer last weekend (1130 miles) the GPS took me thru the mountains of WV and I ran into 4-6 inches of it. This was real snow I mean the highways were all mushy, some cars were even stuck on the side of the road and the snow plows were out. The weather was so bad my father was in the passenger seat beside me saying prayers.

I never had a problem with traction. In fact the backend never slipped out, not even on time. Its a manual car, so I kept the revs low, stayed in a gear higher than normal and did my best to pace traffic so I never let the car come to complete stop.

I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot AS

Last edited by Daekwan06; 04-07-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Just drove about 50 miles in the rain at about 75mph. Absolutely no problems. This was a light to moderate rain with Goodyear supercars. Just take it easy with the gas and its fine.
my 08 is my daily driver and have had zero problems in the rain. I live on the Gulf Coast so I see a lot of rain in my daily commute
Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 AM
TBD
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 113 Posts

Drove my 2009 CG convertible 154 miles in a monsoon-like rain from Pittsburgh airport Monday night. As some others have noted, sensible, responsible, and even minimally skilled drivers will have no difficulties in rain. Those who cannot control their vehicles will undoubtedly have some problems.

In my case, parts of the trip were over mountainous terrain. There was a hint of hydroplaning (approx. 15K on Supercar tires) at some points...chassis feedback was appropriate...reduced speed, as needed.

Top didn't leak, either.

Peace, out.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

66" of rain here annually. No problem at all. MUCH better than the C4. It does depend on the tires but both the Goodyear Supercar tires and the Firestone Firehawks do just fine as long as you aren't a complete idiot. Without the nannies it might be far worse than a C4 but leave the nannies on and even an idiot shouldn't have a problem. .

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Performance in the Rain?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:48 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

You wouldn't drive a "regular" car in the rain like a maniac, right? Same with the Vette. Be careful and you will be OK.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Common sense tells one to slow down while it is raining, the harder the rain, more water on the roadway, the slower the travel.

Thinking any car in the rain has not diminished traction/handling responses is not looking at the situation correctly.

Heavy rain for a extended period can drop the speed limit in half, on the open highways.

At least that is how I proceed.

Two and a half million miles has taught me something.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If rain is the norm I'd get more appropriate 'wet' tires on the car and drive appropriately for the conditions. Even with runflats I never had a major problem driving in the rain.

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Define "rain"
Water falling from clouds: water condensed from vapor in the atmosphere and falling in drops from clouds.

Living in Arizona its a term I'm vaguely familiar with.

Quick Reply: C6 Performance in the Rain?