C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky roof? So here is one dealerships fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Army Vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Squeaky roof? So here is one dealerships fix

I brought my car in to finally have the squeaky roof fixed and the dealership's service center said they know how to fix that issue.
So......slather on gobs of industrial lubricant all over BOTH front and rear and hope for the best.
It didn't stop the squeak and when I removed the top this is what I saw -

No REALLY!?!?!?!?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:51 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I lubricate just the holes that the back pins sit in - that is the source of squeaks on mine best I can tell. And doesn't totally go away but helps for awhile when I do that.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Army Vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know GM service has a fix (not perm) but this ain't it. Geesh.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM
rchbn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the heat shrink tube method described in the sticky. Basically you put shrink tube over the two male pins shrink it on and then I cut off the excess in front of the pin but leaving enough to make sure it wouldn't get pushed off. I tried all the other fixes and this was the one that finally did it for me. Cheap easy to do and if it doesn't work then go through the sticky till you find the solution for you. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There is a long, multi-step GM bulletin about how to fix the noisy removable roofs. You can find it here with Search, print out a copy and go through it step by step, or have your dealer do it under warranty.

Using what worked for me or Joe or Louie is a scattershot approach that might work or might just waste your time. My dealer and i went through the whole process before finding the solution, it turned out that my 2009 needed:
Rear targa latch adjusted
Front targa latches replaced and later adjusted
Superlube on weatherstrip (silicone grease was not enough)
Both door strikes replaced (loose & rattling)

Get the bulletin, do the bulletin, that should solve the problem.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Stealerships, gotta love 'em.

Just a little white grease on the pin holes and latch rollers does it in most cases. I installed an Elite Engineering tunnel plate at the same time as the longtubes and no more "creaking top".
Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Army Vette
So......slather on gobs of industrial lubricant all over BOTH front and rear...
More lubricant is not necessarily better. Just mess-ier.

Before you go back to any dealer, clean & lube everything as described here (post #2): http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...long-post.html

After about a year, my 09 top got noisy. Honestly sounded terrible... completely fixed with Super Lube ($6 from Ace Hardware), some clean rags & Q-tips. Put the top on soft blankets & carpet for easy access.

If the problem persists, at least you'll know more lube isn't the answer.

Also, it might be the hot weather makes the problem worse... from the above link:
"Unfortunately there is very little that you can do about infrequent noises due to thermal expansion. The good news is that in most cases it will cure itself in just a few miles. As the car goes from a cool garage to the hot sunny day or having been parked in the hot sun and then driven away it is bound to make some noise. Once each of the materials comes in to thermal equilibrium the noises should stop."

More ideas: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-popping.html
Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 AM
o2baZR1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I brought my car in to finally have the squeaky roof fixed and the dealership's service center said they know how to fix that issue.
So......slather on gobs of industrial lubricant all over BOTH front and rear and hope for the best.

No REALLY!?!?!?!?
My top squeeks only occur on hot days, and not always then. May I ask who the dealership was? I live in your neck of the woods, I'm getting some creaking in other parts that I'm more concerned about than the roof, am not sure of the cause. It's mostly on slow, tight turns. I want to take it in to a dealer have the situation addressed and am trying to avoid any dealership who might exacerbate my problem.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 PM
The BreeZe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a Z06...my roof never squeaks. Although the tires seem to squeal quite a bit! ;-))

The call me the BreeZe
Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

The lube specified in the GM bulletin is GM Superlube, and it contains Teflon. It has a slightly whiteish appearance but works better- Dielectric Silicone Grease was not enough to eliminate the final squeaks on my roof, but the Superlube did the trick.

After a year, I got tired of the whiteish residue that was visible when the top was removed, I went back to the silicone grease for the rubber but kept using Superlube on the metal parts. That's been working fine for over a year.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No REALLY!?!?!?!?
had the same thing happen already twice, the lubricant actually dripped down on the trim panels
Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The lube specified in the GM bulletin is GM Superlube, and it contains Teflon. It has a slightly whiteish appearance but works better- Dielectric Silicone Grease was not enough to eliminate the final squeaks on my roof, but the Superlube did the trick.

After a year, I got tired of the whiteish residue that was visible when the top was removed, I went back to the silicone grease for the rubber but kept using Superlube on the metal parts. That's been working fine for over a year.
I use teflon lubricant, it is actually perfectly clear, beats the stuff dealer uses.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:45 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The BreeZe
Get a Z06...my roof never squeaks. Although the tires seem to squeal quite a bit! ;-))

The call me the BreeZe

"The" call me the BreeZe . . . . . so you have a posse of 1 - Nice
Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
More lubricant is not necessarily better. Just mess-ier.

Before you go back to any dealer, clean & lube everything as described here (post #2): http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...long-post.html

After about a year, my 09 top got noisy. Honestly sounded terrible... completely fixed with Super Lube ($6 from Ace Hardware), some clean rags & Q-tips. Put the top on soft blankets & carpet for easy access.

If the problem persists, at least you'll know more lube isn't the answer.

Also, it might be the hot weather makes the problem worse... from the above link:
"Unfortunately there is very little that you can do about infrequent noises due to thermal expansion. The good news is that in most cases it will cure itself in just a few miles. As the car goes from a cool garage to the hot sunny day or having been parked in the hot sun and then driven away it is bound to make some noise. Once each of the materials comes in to thermal equilibrium the noises should stop."

More ideas: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-popping.html
I swear my 07 with the old style latches did not make these aweful noises. Could this be related to these "improved" latches GM came up with? I still have my 07 clear roof, one of these days gotta put it on my 09 (it seems it should fit just fine) and find out. This is assuming the new receptacles in the car are not contributing to this as well.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Brian2010
Burning Brakes

I used dielectric grease. I put it in the front and back holes where the pins go.i put some with my finger on the rubber. No more squeaks.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Tweeter
Intermediate

If it is considered 'routine' maintenance to reapply the superlube every so often, what do people do to clean the old stuff off? Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

It kind of disappears by itself over time, but I wipe down the rubber with paper towels before applying a new coat. As CO Lightfoot said, more is not necessarily better. I apply it in the sun on a warm day, work it into the rubber, and wipe off most of the excess.

Get notified of new replies

To Squeaky roof? So here is one dealerships fix

Old 04-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Tweeter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
It kind of disappears by itself over time, but I wipe down the rubber with paper towels before applying a new coat. As CO Lightfoot said, more is not necessarily better. I apply it in the sun on a warm day, work it into the rubber, and wipe off most of the excess.
Thanks Jim.

I must be putting too much on as the old stuff definitely needs to come off but I don't think a paper towel will do it. I gets dried on. This is such a pain in the ****.

Anyone else have issues when they take the top off getting grease all over the place?

Last edited by Tweeter; 04-17-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Tweeter
Thanks Jim.

I must be putting too much on as the old stuff definitely needs to come off but I don't think a paper towel will do it. I gets dried on. This is such a pain in the ****.

Anyone else have issues when they take the top off getting grease all over the place?
I just remembered, our 2009 has had the treatment three times. I did it once with the dielectic silicone grease, the dealer did it a year later with Superlube paste (the whiteish stuff), and I did it again last Fall with the dielectric silicone grease. The Superlube had indeed dried somewhat and was a bit of a pain to remove, I used paper towels but didn't get it all off. I just put the silicone grease on top of the small amount remaining, by next year I think the Superlube will have vanished.
Sorry for misleading you.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 PM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Quick Reply: Squeaky roof? So here is one dealerships fix