C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky roof? So here is one dealerships fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:30 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
"The" call me the BreeZe . . . . . so you have a posse of 1 - Nice
Hey, dude has a catch phrase. I will also call him "the BreeZe" so now he has a posse of 2 and he should change it to "they".
Old 04-17-2012, 06:48 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I just remembered, our 2009 has had the treatment three times. I did it once with the dielectic silicone grease, the dealer did it a year later with Superlube paste (the whiteish stuff), and I did it again last Fall with the dielectric silicone grease. The Superlube had indeed dried somewhat and was a bit of a pain to remove, I used paper towels but didn't get it all off. I just put the silicone grease on top of the small amount remaining, by next year I think the Superlube will have vanished.
Sorry for misleading you.
Last time I went to the dealer, I ended up with white smear marks on the headliner
Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Tweeter
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went out and wiped all of the weather strip down with paper towels. Old stuff didn't completely come off but there seemed to be enough left where the gasket was still somewhat 'greased' for lack of a better term.

As I was wiping down the targa top edges of excess grease, I noticed my two front pins were loose! I tightened them last fall but now they were loose again. After tightening the pins and wiping it down of excess grease, it seems to have helped somewhat. Still some cracking and popping but not from everywhere and not constant.

Doesn't seem like it will ever completely go away. Maybe that's why the first owner traded it in on a new one with only 5k on the dial.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
I swear my 07 with the old style latches did not make these aweful noises. Could this be related to these "improved" latches GM came up with? I still have my 07 clear roof, one of these days gotta put it on my 09 (it seems it should fit just fine) and find out. This is assuming the new receptacles in the car are not contributing to this as well.
No squeaks in my '07 clear top. I guess GM needed to improve them.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:06 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Permanent solution - buy a Vert

Quick Reply: Squeaky roof? So here is one dealerships fix