C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding 45 in a 40 in Memphis Tn.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 AM
KewlFunGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speeding 45 in a 40 in Memphis Tn.

While visiting a friend in Memphis (I live in the Little Rock Arkansas area) I received a speeding ticket a few weeks ago. I was pulled over when making a left hand turn off I240 in Holly Grove. The young police officer was rude and not very professional at all. I explained while giving him my license I wasn't familiar with the area and was heading back to my hotel. I have never driven in the area prior to this evening. He then wrote a speeding ticket for 45 in a 40. I asked him to see the radar since I was making a left hand turn. He then showed me the radar and it said 53. He said I was now doing 53 but knocked it down to 45. Ok... ok.. time to get back in the car and suck it up. This is my first ticket in over 12 years. But that's not the end... he then goes on to say (I am a disabled Veteran with over 20 years of service) you might have got away with having that Chit referring to my plates some place else, but that chit doesn’t f---ing work around here. I was so taken back I couldn't believe my ears. I was with a friend and she was couldn't believe it either. I was cautious and after that statement I knew it was a losing battle. I understand that I broke the law doing 45 in a 40. His comments were uncalled for and I was never confrontational. I called him lieutenant and explained to him what happen. He stated that he would look into the matter and also called my friend to get her statement.

Should I fight or just pay it and press on….
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that guy sounds like a real douche bag
Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LEO's are no different than anyone else; Most are good people, a few are a-holes. Remember that an encounter creates an opportunity to "spin the wheel" and see which you get. Therefore, if you break the law, 53 in a 40 btw(and he did give you a break, he showed you!), you must pay the consequences.
Pay the ticket and move on.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

What an a$$, he obviously has a real attitude problem and took it out on you. Probably best for you in the long run to just move on and forget it.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

A few Bad Apples always ruins the bunch
Old 04-03-2011, 08:53 AM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

we all break the law in some way while driving, at least once a week, for some of us every time we drive. Once in a while you have to pay in. Buth that does not excuse the coments the officer made.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

I would pay the fine for the ticket but file a complaint regarding his treatment and language. No excuse for his disrespect and attitude towards a Disabled Veteran with over 20 years of service.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

If you can make it back for that court hearing I believe I'd go. You're going to pay the court costs anyway and the most they can do is 5 over. I'd try to tell that same story to the judge and see what happens. I'm a disabled veteran as well and have the plate on my C6. Haven't had to reference it yet though.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 AM
2 GRUMPY
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I would pay the fine for the ticket but file a complaint regarding his treatment and language. No excuse for his disrespect and attitude towards a Disabled Veteran with over 20 years of service.
110%
Old 04-03-2011, 09:41 AM
redZ06bri
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

If you live in Memphis and appear at traffic court, this will be automatically dismissed with court costs. If you want to get it taken care, let me know and I have an attorney that you can mail the ticket to and he will get it taken away (of course, you will have to pay him, however, you keep your record clean.)

Memphis needs money, the municipality is broke (like many others in the country). That is all that this is about, so don't get emotional about it. Its a revenue raiser and the cops are given quotas.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

actually, if you think about it, unless the officer has other tickets to show up for, he's not going to show for a ticket 5 mph over the limit. so, in that respect if you show up, chances are you'll walk w. no fine. what's most likely expected in that case is either you pay by mail because it's not worth your time to go back, or you show and walk. his attitude is another matter. hard to contest what he said tho.

let's be clear tho, you weren't really driving 45 in a 40 and that's why you got stopped.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Jaxon
Pro

The cops have to raise revenue to pay their outrageous pension packages. File for a change of venue to your local district and the weenie won't show up for the hearing.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

total bull$h!t,,,,fight it and put in a complaint,,,,what is todays youth coming to,,,,,

yes you were speeding,,,and you gave a reasonable reponse,and willing to except the ticket,,,there was no need for the disrespect,,,,,

Last edited by NOCRISIS; 04-03-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

One reason I have a regular issued plate number on my car. Some people are offended for whatever reason and no good comes of it.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
actually, if you think about it, unless the officer has other tickets to show up for, he's not going to show for a ticket 5 mph over the limit. so, in that respect if you show up, chances are you'll walk w. no fine. what's most likely expected in that case is either you pay by mail because it's not worth your time to go back, or you show and walk. his attitude is another matter. hard to contest what he said tho.

let's be clear tho, you weren't really driving 45 in a 40 and that's why you got stopped.
The officer has to be there regardless Bill. They have set court dates,and they are there whether they wrote a hundred tickets...or just the one.

As an aside,at least in my state,the officer not being in court will NOT get it dismissed,only continued.

But the best bet for the OP is to retain a lawyer & forget about it. Less than $200 and it's like it never happened.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

You should contest the citation. I don't think a judge is going to like seeing a citation for only 5 over. As far as the officer's behavior. Go ahead and file a complaint. You have an independent witness who can confirm his bizarre behavior. Agencies today want to know about this kind of behavior because it helps them spot persons that need correction. Should not cost him his job, but might put him on a better path.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:50 AM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
You should contest the citation. I don't think a judge is going to like seeing a citation for only 5 over. As far as the officer's behavior. Go ahead and file a complaint. You have an independent witness who can confirm his bizarre behavior. Agencies today want to know about this kind of behavior because it helps them spot persons that need correction. Should not cost him his job, but might put him on a better path.
You have an obligation to file a complaint with your wittness.
Capt Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Speeding 45 in a 40 in Memphis Tn.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Was the cop wearing pink?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Officer's response was very unprofessional no matter what his views are. He is supposed to treat everyone the same which he might be doing.

He did give you a break for doing 53 in a 40 which guarantees that you get pulled over anywhere in the country. You can fight the ticket. I would take the offer of the local lawyer or at least look into it.

It sounds like you already called his boss, I would talk to the local DAV organization.

Disabled veterans have a lot of pull. Some chump at the south gate of Yellowstone NP said "Do you have one of those broken finger injuries?" when he saw my National Park Pass and retired ID. I asked him if he wanted to be on the wrong end of a discrimination complaint with the NPS. He then start apologizing like crazy. I let it go then but I basically told him (he was young) that I could cause severe trouble for him.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:53 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Sorry for your trouble. Take the offer of the local attorney and make it go away. Problem is that LEO is still there with a bad attitude. "Protect and Serve" Yeah right...

Quick Reply: Speeding 45 in a 40 in Memphis Tn.