C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

baby seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 PM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

I take my 6 year old son all the time in my Corvettes, I just put his booster seat in. We drove from Florida to Indiana.

I'm 39, while I was growing up we rode in the back of pickups all the time. My parents had a Dasher, I use to ride in the back window all the time.

I know tragedy can happen at any moment, the picture below is from this past November. My two children were in the backseat, my wife was driving. My the Grace of God not one broken bone or scrape of any kind. A semi slammed into her going 55 while she was stopped turning left. He was distracted from his electronic device. Paying attention and common sense will go a long way.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:08 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by One Bad Vette
Yea for weirdos like me to drive so I can laugh through my crooked teeeth as i pass by with 10 kids yelling at you throwing mcdonalds on the dash...i need a life
sorry but i was'nt meant to carry on family traditions like some and live in a trailer house with 20 kids not knowing if they are mine are not .don't have any ,and don't want any and tired as hell taking care of
them for dumm a****s enjoy Mc D's

as to the p.o. i gave my view '' unsafe''

Last edited by lastcowboy; 04-02-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:11 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure what this picture is supposed to prove. All of the child seat stuff in the front seat is about protecting the kid from the front air bag which has been shown capable of removing a kid's head from its body. When the front air bag is turned the law says it is OK to put a kid there and it isn't any more dangerous than having somebody in the seat that is just a small adult. Yes, there are some small adults that don't turn on the air bag.

By the way, this was a side impact crash with no air bag involvement. Could happen the same way with a kid in a rear seat.

Bill
yep thats my point
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 PM
One Bad Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
sorry but i was'nt meant to carry on family traditions like some and live in a trailer house with 20 kids not knowing if they are mine are not .don't have any ,and don't want any and tired as hell taking care of
them for dumm a****s enjoy Mc D's

as to the p.o. i gave my view '' unsafe''
Nah,I'll stick to one child and no Mickey d's for us, nasty...but hell I thought it was ok to park my vette under the car port I built in front of my trailer...
Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 PM
SilvrBullet
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
Don't have any ,and don't want any.
That's good to hear...We don't need any more bubble boys in this world

Riding your little ones in the vette is an experience they will never forget. Enjoy life while you can, just ensure that you do it safely. I wouldn't hesitate to buckle my children in my C6 because I know that while they are in the vehicle with me, I'll drive with caution, respect, and a smile on my face from the opportunity that I was provided to do so
Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 PM
matt_lowry123
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I take my 7 month son in mine all the time. I'm more cautious when driving but the air bag is off and the seat is all the way back. I also live in a small town though 45,000 people. If I lived in a huge city I might take the cts just to be that much safer.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:40 PM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

Good Time with the Grandson!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:04 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by azc62006
that guy from virginia did you read the law concerning child seats? you must disable the airbag. we cant in our cars.. be careful.....read your state laws first to see if its ok...

VIRGINIA'S CHILD RESTRAINT DEVICE LAW
(Code of Virginia Article 13 - Section 46.2)

The major requirements of Virginia's Child Safety Seat Law:

* Child restraint devices are required for children through the age of seven (until 8th birthday). Safety seats must be properly used and approved by Department of Transportation standards. There is no height or weight requirement associated with this law. The Virginia law is based solely on age.
* Rear-facing child restraint devices must be placed in the back seat of a vehicle. In the event the vehicle does not have a back seat, the child restraint device may be placed in the front passenger seat only if the vehicle is either not equipped with a passenger side airbag or the passenger side airbag has been deactivated.
* Children can no longer ride unrestrained in the rear cargo area of vehicles.
* The law applies to anyone (i.e. parents, grandparents, babysitters, friends) who provides transportation for a child in any vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968. Public transportation (taxis, buses), regulation school buses, and farm vehicles are exempted.
* The child restraint law is primary enforcement -- no other violation need be committed prior to ticketing for failure to have a child in an approved seat.
* A $50 civil penalty fine is imposed for failure to have a child in a child restraint device. Any person found guilty a second or subsequent time, on different dates, will be fined up to $500. An additional $20 civil penalty fine is assessed when persons transporting a child exempted from this law due to medical reasons do not carry a written statement of the exemption. All fines collected go into a special fund to purchase safety seats for low-income families.
Technically the airbag is disabled unless 80 lbs or more is on the seat, at least in my 2008. In some states it is illegal to permanently disable a stock airbag. The way our society is going the auto manufacturers will have to design an inflatable cocoon for children. Heck at least in cars they are usually restrained instead of flying all around the house or something. Flip a school bus over and find out how many children get injured.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I tried to talk my daughter into keeping her paid for 2007 6spd z51 vett. When she had her first child but she worried about the rear facing seat for newborn and traded for new CTS and now has a payment an child care as well.
z51vett
Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 PM
USMCFRC
Burning Brakes

We have a new one on the way, and I have been shopping new CTS-Vs to replace the Z. But I'm having a hard time convincing myself to get rid of the Z for a 4 door. I think I would be very upset if I sold it.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:53 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by USMCFRC
We have a new one on the way, and I have been shopping new CTS-Vs to replace the Z. But I'm having a hard time convincing myself to get rid of the Z for a 4 door. I think I would be very upset if I sold it.
Tough decision! I would probably just get another car before I get rid of my Vette. Maybe not a CTS V but maybe around $25-30k. CTS V is a nice car but it isn't like a Corvette. I would probably take a loaded E class over the CTS V if I had to do the sedan route. Sure it doesn't have the power of the V, but it has more room, available AWD (big here in Utah) and lots of extra gizmos all for a few $k more or so.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
ED HEISER
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Kids in a Corvette

I take my grandkids in my Corvette, on my Seadoo, and in my boat. When my own 4 kids were little, we all went snow skiing, water skiing, biking, roller skating and sailing. They all survived! Amazing isn't it!
You can't just stay home and hide under your bed all your life.......well, you can, but what's the point?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Rad4DoorZR1
Intermediate

I'm pretty convinced that's ok and probably just as safe as anything else. I know a lot of people have varied opinions on the matter, but at the end of the day, life is a risk and that's that.

I know of plenty of people that have had major accidents in 'other' cars with terrible injuries. It's mostly just chance and then some good engineering.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by silvrbullet
i agree 100%:d:d

riding your little ones in the vette is an experience they will never forget. Enjoy life while you can, just ensure that you do it safely. I wouldn't hesitate to buckle my children in my c6 because i know that while they are in the vehicle with me, i'll drive with caution, respect, and a smile on my face from the opportunity that i was provided to do so
i bet it is too waaaaa waaaaawaaaa waaaaaaa :d
Old 04-03-2011, 08:54 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by One Bad Vette
Nah,I'll stick to one child and no Mickey d's for us, nasty...but hell I thought it was ok to park my vette under the car port I built in front of my trailer...
Old 04-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Rad4DoorZR1
I'm pretty convinced that's ok and probably just as safe as anything else. I know a lot of people have varied opinions on the matter, but at the end of the day, life is a risk and that's that.

I know of plenty of people that have had major accidents in 'other' cars with terrible injuries. It's mostly just chance and then some good engineering.
Actually there only seems to be one person here who has the loony opinion not to take your child in the vette. He ought to buy a Subaru.

BTW does the owner's manual say anything about child safety seats?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:45 PM
2002fb
Racer

Yes the owners manual tells you how to properly install the safety seats.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Rad4DoorZR1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rule292
Actually there only seems to be one person here who has the loony opinion not to take your child in the vette. He ought to buy a Subaru.

BTW does the owner's manual say anything about child safety seats?
Dunno...don't have a vette yet. Hopefully starting the process on Monday.

Quick Reply: baby seat