C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

baby seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

SAFE AS CAN BE.....

Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Ursoboostd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lastcoboy. Are you serious? We could post pictures of every vehicle ever made in that kinds of condition. I guess we should keep all the kids strapped into the house.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ursoboostd
Lastcoboy. Are you serious? We could post pictures of every vehicle ever made in that kinds of condition. I guess we should keep all the kids strapped into the house.
you could strap that car seat on the back of a motorcycle ,hook a small trailer on the back put the rest of the kids in it.
theres a reason they made MNI-VANS ......
Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfkiller
your car has a back seat?
i cant wait to take my lil boy for a ride. i bought the car 3 days before i found out he was coming. and i love the hell outta both of them.

When I import a Corvette they sometimes ask, (while blindly going through a general import check list) "where's the child restraint?" Response, "it's a two door sports car that can go almost 200 miles an hour, who would put a child in that?" I've even had some inspectors phone GM and they've been told it doesn't come with a child resistant because it's a two seater, that's why we make Malibu's.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad4DoorZR1
Ok...who's done it? How is it? Is it even legal? I have a 3.5 year old and I'm gonna daily drive a C6.

(go easy on me)

Since you have a [rad] 4 door ZR1, I would put the baby seat in the rear seat.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Ursoboostd
Racer

If the Vette is unsafe for a child. It's probably unsafe for adults. You should probably sell it. -Wade-
Old 04-02-2011, 10:31 AM
drclaw
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive my 3 year old around in mine--every time I crank that car seat down and strap her in, I check to make sure the air bag is off. Perfectly legal in Virginia--the local cops always smile and wave. But I also drive like an old lady whenever I have my daughter in the Corvette. I drive more carefully in the Corvette (when she is present) than I do when she's in the SUV.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 AM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdurg24
Yup, I suspect many of you are old enough to remember the dark times before we had the laws we have now that empower the "child p.s." agencies. Why, we had dead and maimed kids all over my neighbohood from downright evil folks that drove the little ones around in the likes of dangerous Corvettes and front seat only pick up trucks. My family (brothers and sisters) alone consisted of 17 kids but only three of them survived those dark times before we had enlightened big government to tell us how to behave. It's an absolute miracle my two children ever survived to adulthood. Luckily my grandchildren have all those necessary laws to protect them from the mostly dim witted parents out there. Besides, just think of all the jobs and feeling of authority it provides to the "child p.s." types out there not to mention the moral superiority inferred on those who feel the most restrictive and most protective lifestyle is the only way for everyone to go. Of course this has to be weighed against the loss of jobs to the many cleanup crews we no longer have to scrape up the dead bodies of the little kids and dogs who used to litter the streets of my neighborhood and I suspect everyone else's too.

By all means, take the kids out of the front seats and for those who don't obey the laws take the kids away and put them in foster homes.
Don't take it personal, just my opinion.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:09 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Ursoboostd
If the Vette is unsafe for a child. It's probably unsafe for adults. You should probably sell it. -Wade-
Look at all the "3rd row" vehicles with children about 1-2 feet away from the rear bumper. Imagine if lastcowboy's pic above was a Aveo or Civic. I'm guessing that was a pretty hard hit to bend the Vette's frame about 1 foot.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Rad4DoorZR1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by calemasters
Since you have a [rad] 4 door ZR1, I would put the baby seat in the rear seat.
just sold my Rad4DoorZR1 (CTS-V) for a C6Z06. (It's also a play on my last name - Radford). I had a simpson racing car seat for my 4 year old. Everyone always cracked up with they saw it.

A couple things makes me feel comfortable with it. 1. Very low speed, neighborhood commute to her school. Very little risk. I won't be taking her in the car otherwise. (I do have an SUV for that).

2. She's been in 500+ Hp cars, and I have the self control not to jack around with her in the car. (unlike some minivan drivers I've seen)

Last edited by Rad4DoorZR1; 04-02-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
legbuh
Racer

Do it all the time... my kids are big enough for just boosters, so it's easier (3 and 5). I drive out to dinner, meet mom and the other, and drive the other home. They love it and it gives me the chance to choose where we eat since I won't park the vette just anywhere, and I love my buffalo wings at a particular spot.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

you guys are so damn paranoid I think your women.when I was a kid you still up in the front seat with the top down.now I have seatbelts and car seats and that's still not enough for you
Old 04-02-2011, 04:13 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 355Spider
you guys are so damn paranoid I think your women.when I was a kid you still up in the front seat with the top down.now I have seatbelts and car seats and that's still not enough for you

well your lucky not everyone got to ride in a COVERED WAGON
Old 04-02-2011, 04:15 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Old 04-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Rad4DoorZR1
Intermediate

I appreciate all the precedent. Helps convince the wife that I'm not making this stuff up. Sure, it's not a Volvo. But that's also why I bought it.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad4DoorZR1
just sold my Rad4DoorZR1 (CTS-V) for a C6Z06. (It's also a play on my last name - Radford). I had a simpson racing car seat for my 4 year old. Everyone always cracked up with they saw it.

A couple things makes me feel comfortable with it. 1. Very low speed, neighborhood commute to her school. Very little risk. I won't be taking her in the car otherwise. (I do have an SUV for that).

2. She's been in 500+ Hp cars, and I have the self control not to jack around with her in the car. (unlike some minivan drivers I've seen)
Any info on the Simpson Seat?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:23 PM
One Bad Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
you could strap that car seat on the back of a motorcycle ,hook a small trailer on the back put the rest of the kids in it.
theres a reason they made MNI-VANS ......
Yea for weirdos like you to drive so I can laugh as you pass by with 10 kids yelling at you throwing mcdonalds on the dash...Get a life

Get notified of new replies

To baby seat

Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default child seat

in missouri the law states:
While safety belts offer excellent protection for adults, they are not designed to keep children safe in the event of a motor vehicle accident. Missouri law states:

* A child less than four years old or weighing under 40 pounds must be secured in a child passenger restraint system appropriate for the child.

* A child over four years of age, but less than eight years of age, who also weighs between 40 and 80 pounds and is under 4'9" tall, must be secured in a child passenger restraint system or booster seat appropriate for that child.

* Children at least 80 pounds, or children more than 4'9" tall, are required to be secured by an appropriate vehicle safety belt or booster seat.

The fine for violating Missouri's child safety law is $50 plus court costs. Child safety seat requirements do not apply to children who are being transported in a school bus or public carrier for hire.

in california its different: i got stopped because i didnt know the law:

Child Safety Seats

Buckle your child in a safety seat every trip, no matter how short.

Remember: All children under the age of 16 must ride properly buckled up.
New law beginning January 1, 2005

Children MUST be secured in an appropriate child passenger restraint (safety seat or booster seat) IN THE BACK SEAT OF A VEHICLE until they are at least 6 years old or weigh at least 60 pounds.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:28 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default child seat

that guy from virginia did you read the law concerning child seats? you must disable the airbag. we cant in our cars.. be careful.....read your state laws first to see if its ok...

VIRGINIA'S CHILD RESTRAINT DEVICE LAW
(Code of Virginia Article 13 - Section 46.2)

The major requirements of Virginia's Child Safety Seat Law:

* Child restraint devices are required for children through the age of seven (until 8th birthday). Safety seats must be properly used and approved by Department of Transportation standards. There is no height or weight requirement associated with this law. The Virginia law is based solely on age.
* Rear-facing child restraint devices must be placed in the back seat of a vehicle. In the event the vehicle does not have a back seat, the child restraint device may be placed in the front passenger seat only if the vehicle is either not equipped with a passenger side airbag or the passenger side airbag has been deactivated.
* Children can no longer ride unrestrained in the rear cargo area of vehicles.
* The law applies to anyone (i.e. parents, grandparents, babysitters, friends) who provides transportation for a child in any vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968. Public transportation (taxis, buses), regulation school buses, and farm vehicles are exempted.
* The child restraint law is primary enforcement -- no other violation need be committed prior to ticketing for failure to have a child in an approved seat.
* A $50 civil penalty fine is imposed for failure to have a child in a child restraint device. Any person found guilty a second or subsequent time, on different dates, will be fined up to $500. An additional $20 civil penalty fine is assessed when persons transporting a child exempted from this law due to medical reasons do not carry a written statement of the exemption. All fines collected go into a special fund to purchase safety seats for low-income families.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
SAFE AS CAN BE.....

Not sure what this picture is supposed to prove. All of the child seat stuff in the front seat is about protecting the kid from the front air bag which has been shown capable of removing a kid's head from its body. When the front air bag is turned the law says it is OK to put a kid there and it isn't any more dangerous than having somebody in the seat that is just a small adult. Yes, there are some small adults that don't turn on the air bag.

By the way, this was a side impact crash with no air bag involvement. Could happen the same way with a kid in a rear seat.

Bill

Quick Reply: baby seat