C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to start car after 6 weeks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by weathermaker
This is what I do after 3 month shut down. Someone with the dry sump motor, said it doesn't work thet way for him. Car just started. ??????
I believe it works the same way for all C6s, but for some, it is hard to hold the pedal all the way down. It must be completely to the floor.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 PM
JPN7075U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve Hinton is a good friend of mine. His son Stevo has won Reno twice in Strega. My other friend built Strega. I know P-51's. I keep a couple warbirds at Chino. They do pre-oil the Rolls Royces and Packards but the Wright's are the worst of the bunch. My Jet Provost has a Rolls Royce Viper in it. What a simple deal it is. It runs a total loss lubrication system. From the oil tank to the main bearings and out the exhaust. The bearings only see fresh oil. Not filling the tank each flight is a bad idea though.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Aren't you glad you asked?But really.the only stupid question is a question not asked. The synthetic oil is very sticky and there are zero wear problems connected with starting a car thats been sitting. fire away.................

clif
Old 03-30-2011, 07:35 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by fmarshall
That's not rude?

While it may/ may not be directed toward me, my comments are intended as humor.

But there is more than some truth in that fact that someone that buys a weapon that is that dangerous - and yes a car is a weapon, if not driven responsibly - should know how to operate it correctly and responsibly.

And that being said, an - I don't know how to use this properly - comment addressed to an open forum should receive any and all humorous ( or even accidentally rude ) comments.

What I believe should happen in an instance like this, is that a forum moderator should jump in swiftly and instruct the OP of how to use the search feature - well before the masses attack.

Beyond that, if too many "rude" members attack the unsuspecting poster, then, once again the insightful forum moderators should swiftly post some helpful reminder about forum manners and lock the thread IMHO.

That's what happens where I have been a moderator.

Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast ...
No this comment was not directed at you or totally specific to this thread. I was agreeing with the poster that some posts are rude and uncalled for. I think we all know it when we see it. That said I don't mind poking fun at someone or them at me as long as it's not mean spirited. JMO
Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT

Started my a couple weeks back after sitting since October. All was fine.

The only issue I currently have is On-Star ran a diagnostic on 3/27 and sent me the report via e-mail and it's telling me it cannot determine oil life even though I physically checked the oil level and it's fine.

Any ideas? On-Star customer service of course was not a lot of help.

this also happened to me on my '09 coupe... but the DIC remaining oil life message was fine, and of course the oil level was fine. I ignored this particular On-Star "mis-diagnostic" for several months until the oil/filter was changed and the oil life indicator in the DIC was reset...On-Star oil life diagnostic was fine afterwards.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:11 AM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 05 stored for about 12 months when the top recall came around. I fired it up and took it to the dealers. Roof done. That was 8 months ago. StaBil in the gas at the 24 months dose and tender 24/7.

It fires up instantly and runs smooth as silk. I idle it for about a minute or so to get the oil circulated and drive off with modest throttle for a few miles.

No biggie. They can sit for an extended time without any consequences.

I do need to get it into the rotation cycle more often. But, I just got the 6 month trial and 60 minutes on the On Star for the contest promo that they had so I need to drive the 08 more to use up the time.

Life can have challenges.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:43 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by JPN7075U
Steve Hinton is a good friend of mine. His son Stevo has won Reno twice in Strega. My other friend built Strega. I know P-51's. I keep a couple warbirds at Chino. They do pre-oil the Rolls Royces and Packards but the Wright's are the worst of the bunch. My Jet Provost has a Rolls Royce Viper in it. What a simple deal it is. It runs a total loss lubrication system. From the oil tank to the main bearings and out the exhaust. The bearings only see fresh oil. Not filling the tank each flight is a bad idea though.
Love Strega!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:31 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by weathermaker
This is what I do after 3 month shut down. Someone with the dry sump motor, said it doesn't work thet way for him. Car just started. ??????
My Z06 worked just fine. I tried it. Car will not start with gas floored. Gas must be floored BEFORE you try to start.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 AM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodNeil
I kept the battery charged, but can I start it after 6 weeks normally? I'm worried about the oil draining down with no lubrication.
Thanks.
nice thing about synthetic oil is that the molecular structure of it is a lot smaller than conventional oils, it gets into and stays longer in smaller areas than regular oil, lubrication qualities are better. I'm a Millwright and have pulled bearings apart that have idled for 5 years and the synthetic oil is still in them, just hit the start button you're good to go!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vt65
nice thing about synthetic oil is that the molecular structure of it is a lot smaller than conventional oils, it gets into and stays longer in smaller areas than regular oil, lubrication qualities are better. I'm a Millwright and have pulled bearings apart that have idled for 5 years and the synthetic oil is still in them, just hit the start button you're good to go!
Do you have data to back this? It does not jive with my understanding of group IV and V vs. III oils.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:08 PM
HotRodNeil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fmarshall
Hurry, sell the car. And, no matter what, do NOT tell the unsuspecting buyer that the car hasn't been run in a long time.

Then go buy a new one.
But what if the NEW C6 has been sitting around for MORE than 6 weeks? Oh NO! What am I going to do? I'll take the heads off, spray the cylinder walls with WD-40 and 3-in-1 oil, and hand crank the engine 10 times and say "there's no place like home".

Thanks for the tips everyone!!! Here she is. All mine.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C6 owners
Old 03-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So many comedians! I'll try to be serious... it'll be tough, but I'll try.

Since I'm in the camp that runs the engine for about an hour each week I didn't feel I needed to do anything. But, after giving it some thought, I think I'll head for a vacant parking lot to do some tight circles / figure eights to work some rear diff fluid into the clutches. Maybe it won't help but it couldn't hurt.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPN7075U
I never knew about a total loss lube system. That's interesting. I keep my Cherokee hangared at Chino too. Small world!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:41 PM
TWOBUELLS
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Old 03-31-2011, 04:01 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
this also happened to me on my '09 coupe... but the DIC remaining oil life message was fine, and of course the oil level was fine. I ignored this particular On-Star "mis-diagnostic" for several months until the oil/filter was changed and the oil life indicator in the DIC was reset...On-Star oil life diagnostic was fine afterwards.
I'm changing oil this weekend so I can reset the oil life (this is what the on-star customer service rep told me I needed to do to remedy the problem).

I also can't swear to it because I can no longer find it but I thought I read somewhere in an article that if the oil life isn't reset minimum once per year it confuses on-star's diagnostics since part of the on-star's software code is written around the car's routine maintenance and on-star made the assumption that an average vehicle's oil should be changed at least one time per year. Since mine is stored 5-6 months per year, even though the oil life indicator could shows the oil life is still fine (mine shows 85%). I may have gone past a year since I last changed it. I think last year I changed it around March 15 (pulled it out of storage early) and the diagnostic this year was ran on 3/27 after I pulled it out of storage which is over a year.

Not sure..

Good habit to change it once per year anyway.

Quick Reply: How to start car after 6 weeks?