C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvettes for sale - How about a little etiquette, huh?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:07 PM
XXXEsq
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvettes for sale - How about a little etiquette, huh?

I’ve had my car up here for a couple of weeks and have a question, and few comments.

I know this is an on-line forum, and we should all conduct ourselves accordingly, but for Bejebus’ sake, some of the stuff I’ve experienced is making me question even attempting to sell a car here, let alone one I care for like mine.

Admittedly, some of the conversations I’ve had with people from this board have been wonderful. (Thanks Steve!). But that being said, here is my little rant regarding some of the others:

1 If you make an appointment to come see my car, and for whatever reason you decide not to come, please have the common decency to call or e-mail me to tell me you aren’t coming. Some of us have better things to do than to wait around for people who never show up... Seriously, its uncool.

2 If you want to discuss the car, great, let’s chat. If you need specific pictures, fine, just ask. But please, enough of the BS “what’s your bottom line price” and/or I can get a car just like yours for less” PMs from people with no profile, no posts, no actual knowledge of what I have in my garage, and no bona-fide interest or ability to purchase her in the first place. Perhaps you have lots of free time to waste, but there are many of us here who don’t. And believe me, its obvious...

3 The ridiculous low ball offers. If you know where you can get a car “just like mine” for $25K, then I’d suggest you go buy it .. NOW!

4 And finally NO you can’t drive her until the funds clear. I’ll take you for a ride and/or allow you to have her inspected by a properly accredited shop once you can show me you actually have the ability to buy the car. But if you think that any reasonably intelligent Corvette owner is going to give the keys (OK, fob) to a car like this to someone who says they just want to “check it out”... especially when its been raining here for a week or so ... well ... perhaps you should dial back a bit on whatever you’ve been smoking...

So my question to my Corvette brethren (you know who you are - and you know who you aren’t) is, how do you deal with these types of things. Do you actually take the time to write back, or just ignore them?

Sorry for the rant... as you were...
Old 03-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Corvettj
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thank you

THANK YOU very well put, I too am selling a (or trying to) Corvette to a fellow Corvette person, and no it is not the cheapest, but it is not like the ones beat to death.

THANK YOU SO much for saying this it is RIGHT ON

Good luck with the sale of your GREAT Corvette
Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Honestly, I just ignore most of them in past sales situations. There were one or two that just deserved for me to spend a little time to tell them how rediculous they are. It is a very frustrating situation and I wish you the best.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Emfuser
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XXXEsq
1 If you make an appointment to come see my car, and for whatever reason you decide not to come, please have the common decency to call or e-mail me to tell me you aren’t coming. Some of us have better things to do than to wait around for people who never show up... Seriously, its uncool.
That's just plain rude on their part. Unless you got hit by a bus and you're out cold in the ER/morgue, then you owe notice to someone you've made an appointment with as soon as you know you can't make it.

2 If you want to discuss the car, great, let’s chat. If you need specific pictures, fine, just ask. But please, enough of the BS “what’s your bottom line price” and/or I can get a car just like yours for less” PMs from people with no profile, no posts, no actual knowledge of what I have in my garage, and no bona-fide interest or ability to purchase her in the first place. Perhaps you have lots of free time to waste, but there are many of us here who don’t. And believe me, its obvious...
Some people don't know how to negotiate. They don't get that someone's not going to just tip their hand as to what their minimum acceptable price is. Some are just tire-kickers, yes. That's part of selling a car with or without the internet.

3 The ridiculous low ball offers. If you know where you can get a car “just like mine” for $25K, then I’d suggest you go buy it .. NOW!
There's a split here. Some people are just cheap. There is another camp that simply doesn't have a feel for what is an acceptable number to start a negotiation off with. Their converse is people who list a car and put "OBO" next to the price when they mean "FIRM" or they mean they're willing to budge no more than $200 on a $30,000 asking price. Everyone has a different take on what an acceptable starting number is. My advice is that low-ball offers should either be politely declined flat-out or declined with the explanation that their offer is far too low, and then a counter-offer made. It may be that your two price ranges don't cross and no deal is made, but that's just part of the game.

4 And finally NO you can’t drive her until the funds clear. I’ll take you for a ride and/or allow you to have her inspected by a properly accredited shop once you can show me you actually have the ability to buy the car. But if you think that any reasonably intelligent Corvette owner is going to give the keys (OK, fob) to a car like this to someone who says they just want to “check it out”... especially when its been raining here for a week or so ... well ... perhaps you should dial back a bit on whatever you’ve been smoking...
People have various impressions of what is or isn't kosher for when they're checking out the car. The best thing you can do is state your rules about this up front in your ad and remind them on the phone or in e-mail so there are no surprises. If they say they won't buy a car they can't drive first, you then politely inform them that they must continue their search elsewhere.

So my question to my Corvette brethren (you know who you are - and you know who you aren’t) is, how do you deal with these types of things. Do you actually take the time to write back, or just ignore them?
My advice centers around accepting that some people don't have a grasp for the buying/selling negotiation process and are open to correction or learning and I accept that some people simply have differing views on acceptable/not acceptable than I do. That's ok. HOWEVER, if they turn rude, I usually back out of the transaction ASAP. This is more of a problem with younger folks (I say this at the ripe old age of 32 ), but I don't tolerate rude people.

Not a Corvette owner, but I've had fast cars/bikes. I'm trying to get a Corvette now; thus my presence here. Take my advice as you will.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:30 PM
loudv8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the shopping process and potential purchase this weekend, I basically had to put the guy at ease by word and action that I would not do some of the very things you mentioned. It was a preface to let him know I was a serious buyer. Your point is well made, hope you get it sold.

Last edited by loudv8; 03-24-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 PM
ceastham1
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Spot On comments. There are legitimate buyers (like some of us) and there are the boneheads, the inconsiderate, the wanna-be's, the tire kickers, the picture collectors, and every other label you accurately describe. I know a guy on C3 with his very nice car up for months ... same issues. It just seems to go with the territory. You kind of become the virtual used car salesman and you get all the trolls from under the bridge.

Good luck with your sale and hand in there. A quality car at a competitive price will always sell. It just needs to find the right new owner.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 PM
AM.MSCL
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

This is not specific to this board or Corvettes. I have had this happen with different types of vehicles that I have had for sale in the paper, Craigslist, or forums specific to the brand of vehicle I was selling. I believe it is just part of dealing with a car.

This I feel you are correct in feeling; you are not selling a $2000 Honda.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Talonhand
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ill give you 26k...when can I take it for a spin?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
JCamaro
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AM.MSCL
This I feel you are correct in feeling; you are not selling a $2000 Honda.
I disagree,

You are not selling a Maserati or a Ferrari. I personally wouldn't get a check cut for a vehicle I had not driven, period. I've test driven many expensive cars, some of them much more expensive than a c6 z06, that's part of the buying experience.

But again, the seller and the buyer need to have some rapport. I will be selling my c5 in the next few weeks (it will not be advertised on here) and should I find a serious buyer who desires a test drive, it will take place, with me in the passenger seat.

Ruling out a test drive will rule out a lot of serious buyers.

To OP,

Price looks fair, great car, GLWS

To everyone: Keep in mind this is a buyers market...not a sellers. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Last edited by JCamaro; 03-24-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
davestractor
Instructor

I'm fairly new to the forum, but I buy and sell stuff all day long in my business. I deal with lowball offers, tire kickers, time wasters, etc, and I convert many of them to buyers with a little patience. As has been well said, some people just have no idea how to approach such a purchase and they really come across poorly. But as a seller I need to sort that out and either kindly educate them, or if they are clearly idiots, I need to give them a simple "no thanks". If a person can't deal with this aspect of selling an item, they might be better trading it in and letting a dealer sell it. Sales is work, it takes effort.

Sellers that spend a lot of time saying they are firm on price and don't need to sell the car, etc., tend to be the guys that lower their price in a week or so. So firm pricing doesn't mean that much to me. If you are at $38 firm and I offer you $36, don't be offended. Just say no. I have bought a lot of stuff over the years making cash offers that some might deem as "lowball". But the guy says "come get it, bring the cash" and off we go.....despite the words "firm" in bold letters.

That being said, a seller deserves the common courtesy of good communication, especially if a viewing has been arranged. But a seller needs to be realistic as well. And if some guy told me I could not test drive his car, with him in the car, before I gave him the money I would say he is nuts. Of course I'd make it clear first that if it drives as expected, I'd be writing out a check for the agreed amount on the spot.

Good thoughts as I read your comments.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:22 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I wish all of the lo-ball, bonehead tire kickers would read this. Unfortunately the same mentality that yields their behavior is not smart enough to realize that it applies to them. Applause for a well stated rant!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Scotten
Racer

Originally Posted by JCamaro
Spot on. While I wouldn't let some scummy looking potential buyer drive any car I had for sale, offering no test drives would keep me away.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

...Ruling out a test drive will rule out a lot of serious buyers...
I agree with this...and I also agree with most of what the OP is saying. There has to be some room to allow a mature, qualified buyer to test drive the car (with seller riding shotgun) before money changes hands.

This site is great for exchanging information, but I'm afraid it may not be the best place to actually sell a car.

GLWS
Old 03-24-2011, 03:43 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

sounds like every other car buying /selling avenue out there.....
Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 PM
BlueByeYou
Advanced

I disagree,

You are not selling a Maserati or a Ferrari. I personally wouldn't get a check cut for a vehicle I had not driven, period. I've test driven many expensive cars, some of them much more expensive than a c6 z06, that's part of the buying experience.

But again, the seller and the buyer need to have some rapport. I will be selling my c5 in the next few weeks (it will not be advertised on here) and should I find a serious buyer who desires a test drive, it will take place, with me in the passenger seat.

To OP,

Price looks fair, great car, GLWS

To everyone: Keep in mind this is a buyers market...not a sellers. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I'm going to have to say that this is spot on.

Unfortunately in a buyers market like we are in right now you will get the lowball offers with gusto. It's to be expected because people generally have less money and know there are people out there that are actually desperate to unload some fiscal responsibility.

At the same time I too would NEVER buy a car that I haven't driven. With that said I took it upon myself to go to a dealership to test drive a Z06 (to see if I would like it) because if I were in the same situation I would be slightly sketchy about handing my keys to some guy off the street.

Also I'd like to add that I had more trouble test driving my first Evo than I did a Z06. I think it goes to show that the demographic that tends to buy the car says a lot about the way they would take the car for a test drive (that and some idiot decided to beat the hell out of an Evo on a test drive and flip it into a ditch).

I think there are a lot of good points about etiquette here that more car buyers should follow, BUT it's at the discretion of the seller. Each seller will have different things that they are comfortable and uncomfortable with. So standard etiquette would be hard to attain. I say at least be polite and clear in your conversation (as a seller and buyer) and you are off to a very good start.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:51 PM
kutlow
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 135 Posts

Here is what pisses me off in for sale ads.

1- If this car was closer it would be in my garage.
2- If this car was a different color it would be in my garage.
3- If this was in 6 months id buy it
4- whats the milage, where is it located ? Umm its in the title just read!
5- I just wet my pants looking at the car.

Really people stop messing up threads for guys trying to buy and sell.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:02 PM
MJ'sVette
Cruising

What appears to be a low-ball offer to a seller is in some cases is the most a buyer will pay for your car. Just say no thanks. I sold my 07 VY Z51 loaded coupe before i deployed last year for 32,000. I probably lost 6-8K on the transaction but it gets me closer to my goal of a LS3, GS or Z06. If i were going to buy another coupe i would only offer 32,000 for the same car I sold just an LS3 engine. I have not found that car yet and if someone is selling one for 38 or 39K and I offer them 32 is that a low-ball offer if so I am guilty but just say no thanks no harm/waste of time needed.

On the other hand I agree with many who have already said they would not purchase a vehicle without driving it first. When I test drove my first vette it really turned me off to the vehicle. it road like it was on concrete blocks. Then the next one I took out and bought road like a dream. Just something to think about.

Best of luck to you on the sale of your vette and I hope you get out of it what you want.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes for sale - How about a little etiquette, huh?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:09 PM
JCamaro
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJ'sVette
What appears to be a low-ball offer to a seller is in some cases is the most a buyer will pay for your car. Just say no thanks. I sold my 07 VY Z51 loaded coupe before i deployed last year for 32,000. I probably lost 6-8K on the transaction but it gets me closer to my goal of a LS3, GS or Z06. If i were going to buy another coupe i would only offer 32,000 for the same car I sold just an LS3 engine. I have not found that car yet and if someone is selling one for 38 or 39K and I offer them 32 is that a low-ball offer if so I am guilty but just say no thanks no harm/waste of time needed.

On the other hand I agree with many who have already said they would not purchase a vehicle without driving it first. When I test drove my first vette it really turned me off to the vehicle. it road like it was on concrete blocks. Then the next one I took out and bought road like a dream. Just something to think about.

Best of luck to you on the sale of your vette and I hope you get out of it what you want.
Sellers need to stop pricing your car based on what others are "listed" at, price it based on what others have "sold" for. The housing market where I live is very much hamstrung because people refuse to accept it's the buyers market and adjust pricing accordingly.

Keep in mind, you don't have to sell anything to anyone, as the seller you have the right to decline any offer.

The key to any transaction is respect, both for the buyer and the seller. It sounds like the OP has been dealing with potential buyers that have little to no respect for his time. This is never kosher.

The OP's car appears to be in great shape and is priced competitively.

Let's hope it sells soon.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:19 PM
XXXEsq
Racer

Originally Posted by Talonhand
ill give you 26k...when can I take it for a spin?
LOL
Old 03-24-2011, 04:30 PM
XXXEsq
Racer

Originally Posted by Scotten
Spot on. While I wouldn't let some scummy looking potential buyer drive any car I had for sale, offering no test drives would keep me away.
Probably a valid point. I was actually pissed about, and referring to, one particular call I got asking if he could come over, "check it out" and drive it. Got the feeling the guy was a ½ baked 17 year old and politely declined.

If someone was truly interested, and had the funds, and it was down to "if it drives OK, I'll take it" that might be another discussion. In retrospect, I probably wouldn't buy a car I hadn't driven either. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Corvettes for sale - How about a little etiquette, huh?