C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch shudder getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:30 PM
BAblackvette
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Clutch shudder getting worse

Hey guys, I have an 05 coupe and for some reason, when I start to engage the clutch in first gear at rpms around 1200-1600 the whole car shudders a little bit as I let out the clutch. I did the rear end fluid change, any other ideas? Thanks, Kevin
Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 PM
BAblackvette
Burning Brakes

Forgot to add, if the shifter is in gear (let's say first) with clutch depressed at a stop, and I shift into neutral and let clutch out, it makes a loud clack noise. Could this be something to do with a throwout bearing or something?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Search for the Ranger clutch fluid change.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:33 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by BAblackvette
Hey guys, I have an 05 coupe and for some reason, when I start to engage the clutch in first gear at rpms around 1200-1600 the whole car shudders a little bit as I let out the clutch. I did the rear end fluid change, any other ideas? Thanks, Kevin
The loud clacking could be one of the clutch fingers touching the throw out bearing as for the shudder needs new clutch to fix I've had a 98 done 06/07/09 for the same reason.
z51vett
Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Clutch fluid change outs help that same shudder in my car. Many times.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:22 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

It sounds like you have a worn out or glazed clutch.

Replacing the clutch fluid won't fix this. Fresh fluid MIGHT fix the clanking at the throwout bearing though.

I suspect that about $1200 is about to leave your wallet!

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 03-22-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:33 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

my 07 w 25k is doing the same thing. Consensus is warped or glazed flywheel from previous owner not knowing S**t about manuals.

When I hammer on it hard, especially in 2nd, I can smell that all familiar smell of clutch pads overheating.

Replacement will have to wait - 1200 bones (if it can really be done for that) is a little tight, seeing as the tax man wants part of my A** for not paying last years quartely tax payments
Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW

Replacing the clutch fluid won't fix this. Fresh fluid MIGHT fix the clanking at the throwout bearing though.

Tom
If your gonna pay someone to do the job... A replacement clutch can be had for under $500 all day long... Get some jack stands, some metric wrenches and have at it.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
If your gonna pay someone to do the job... A replacement clutch can be had for under $500 all day long... Get some jack stands, some metric wrenches and have at it.
Do you seriously know what's involved in changing the clutch? Like dropping the rear cradle, torque tube. That is even a big job for the professional mechanic.
The '07 Z51 vert that I used to have would shudder enough to bug me but not enough to have the dealership tear into it to possibly mess up something else. It did it since it was new so it wasn't a worn clutch. The Z51 cars seem to do it a little more since 1st gear is lower than the base trans. Try starting out in 2nd gear and I bet you won't feel any shudder. My Z06 will shudder slightly on occasion but very little if any.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:32 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Dirty clutch fluid can cause issues. That might be part of your problem... but I suspect it'll take more than fresh fluid to fix what you've described.

Anyway, here's the Ranger DIY method for changing the clutch fluid:

Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 AM
BAblackvette
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the fluid change links guys, I follow a pretty strict regimen on changing the fluid so I think its something worse

JJC5 - if i start in 2nd gear there is absolutely no shudder - good call! Looks like it must be a similar problem, good to know that it happened on a new car.

I too am not looking to pay the 1200 for a new clutch, screw that. I have 22k on my car

Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Darwin11
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW

Tom

Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My clutch has been perfect since new, never any shuddering.

Though in more recent times, after a drive, when the clutch is warm, I'll get a little shudder sometimes when starting out in 1st.

I've owned the car since new, it's got about 20k miles on it, I'm extremely gentle on the clutch at all times, I've never even launched the car or done any burn-outs etc, the clutch pretty much never gets slipped, I always rev match when upshifting or downshifting, I also change the clutch fluid, etc. I have no idea why I'm starting to get a little occasional shudder.

One thought is that now and then maybe I go through a puddle or whatever and the clutch gets temporarily contaminated, this could maybe cause an occasional, temporary shudder. (?)

I am aware that there was a service bulletin for some 2006 clutches, but I'm not inside the range of that bulletin.

Also, I do not quite understand why starting in 2nd gear would reduce the tendency to shudder verses starting in 1st gear. If anything, starting in 2nd requires more clutch slippage, plus it puts more torque strain on the drivetrain (more flexing of everything, motor mounts etc, which might cause general shudder).

If anything, I'd think that the Z51 cars would be less prone to shudder since first gear is so low. In my Z51, I can start off from a stop without barely slipping the clutch at all, can darned near just drop the clutch at idle and the car just starts rolling. This is one of the reasons I actually chose the Z51, it's that much easier to get the car rolling from a stop and requires very little clutch slippage.

Though actually... hmmm... now thinking about it, maybe it's because starting in 2nd gear puts additional strain on the drivetrain that shudder is reduced. Doing this may hold the drivetrain against it's mounts more firmly, not allowing the drivetrain to move around (and shudder). If this is the case, then if starting in 2nd reducing shuddering in a given car, it would suggest that the issue is with the drivetrain and not the clutch itself. If the clutch itself was warped though, then I'd think that you'd get a shudder (or at least a pulsing in the pedal) no matter what gear you started in.

"Clutch shudder" can be one of two things.... either an issue with the clutch or flywheel (warped, dirty, glazed ,etc) where the shudder originates from the clutch system itself, OR can be an issue with the drivetrain, such as loose motor mounts, where the shudder results from the drivetrain itself moving around, not necessarily an issue with the clutch disc / flywheel.

Like, on my MazdaSpeed3, it starts out beautifully in 1st gear, zero shudder, smooth as butter every time, but under the same conditions in REVERSE gear, it will shudder badly unless I increase the rpm and do a little extra clutch slipping... and the gear ratios of 1st and reverse on that car are almost identical... this is an example of an issue with the drivetrain and not the clutch itself. On that car I guess the mounts don't like being pushed in the opposite direction, that's my theory anyway. That car is known to not have the greatest motor mounts as it is.

Point is, with my MazdaSpeed3, there is a perceived "shudder" when modulating the clutch (in reverse) and most people would define this as "clutch shudder", but clearly it's not the fault of the clutch or flywheel. So, it's actually not "clutch shudder".
Old 03-23-2011, 12:26 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "shuddering" is grabbing, slipping, grabbing, slipping etc. In 2nd gear, the ratio is such that it can't "grab" but continuously slips. The Z51 trans has a lower gear ratio in 1st (as well as 2nd, 3rd and 6th) which allows for the alternate grabbing and slipping; kind of emulates your reverse experience in your Mazda. It could have something to do with the driveline mounting points having more play in some cars vs others.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JJC5
The "shuddering" is grabbing, slipping, grabbing, slipping etc. In 2nd gear, the ratio is such that it can't "grab" but continuously slips. The Z51 trans has a lower gear ratio in 1st (as well as 2nd, 3rd and 6th) which allows for the alternate grabbing and slipping; kind of emulates your reverse experience in your Mazda. It could have something to do with the driveline mounting points having more play in some cars vs others.
Ahh, this make sense.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch shudder getting worse

Quick Reply: Clutch shudder getting worse