C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Grand Sport Gwady?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Patal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GS could look like a garbage truck to the world. Who cares. This car is just so damn much fun to drive. My first. What the heck was I thinking.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:31 PM
olivine28
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 PM
scrib13
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to understand the purpose of this post, I hate tomato, you hate onions, who cares we purcahse, eat what we like, that is why we live in America. Guess you can say you live in America to post anything you want but again seems like this is just asking for trouble.

PERSONALLY, I think GS is just plain awesome!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:14 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer

The Grand Sport was the reason why I traded my C5Z. And, I never looked back. The GS gills and the body lines remind me of my first love. A Cortez Silver '69 427/400 Coupe. Only the GS is much faster.

Unlike the OP and the "usual suspects" that jump in with negative comments in every GS thread, I like all Vettes. Be they the "narrow" body or the mighty ZR1.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:35 AM
10WhiteGS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We need an ignore option really bad. I can't believe this kind of crap gets posted.

OP: I don't think the problem is with the GS, I'd look elswhere... like maybe your parents being bother-sister.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Stew24
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

Sure glad some of the "haters" here don't work for GM Design! The GS is Beautiful! "nuff said!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 10WhiteGS
We need an ignore option really bad. I can't believe this kind of crap gets posted.
The forum's got one. Does not keep you from reading the thread title, but will not let you read the entire post unless you intentionally choose to read it.

It's an internet forum. What is there about it that should not be allowed? Do we allow free speech only for the subjects we agree with?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by JimTN
It's an internet forum. What is there about it that should not be allowed? Do we allow free speech only for the subjects we agree with?
On the flip side, we should be allowed to call posters who post crap threads like this one......trolls!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

This is a post from the OP, but got to thinking...

Maybe the OP has a little Peeeeeeee*us envy?!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:56 AM
DC321
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cwing85b
All vetts are beautiful but I think the gills and fender logo are over done.

I would have preferred the ZR1 front ducts, but I ordered a GS anyway.

I did get black GS emblems, as I could not stand the chrome.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually I read all the posts and then comment. This time I don't want to be biased so I'm posting first and reading second.

"The" widebody of the C6 lineup IMO IS the Z06. It was the first widebody. When people started "making" their own widebodies from converted "narrow body" C6s....it was the Z06 that they were converting to.

From the side the Z06 is at it's best....bulging here and there but no excess decoration. I never particularly liked the hood treatment but I don't dislike it either....kind of neutral.

Enter the ZR-1....different from the side view....but right in there with the Z06. The ZR1 hood....just plain silly. And...that monstrous piece of plastic enshrouding the engine? Pure junk. The little window....silly as well.

Between the Z06 and ZR1 on looks alone I give it to the Z06. It's clearly more attractive though the ZR1 is awesome as well.

The GS? It's just right for the people who buy it. It's showy. It has no more "go" than a narrow body so it needs more bling. From the side I don't like it at all. The Z06 is head and shoulders above it in styling. The "hash marks" on the front fender....cheap vinyl plastic.....just pure high school level junk that has no place on a vette.

But....the target market for the GS loves the styling, loves their plastic tape ( whatever it's supposed to mean ) , love the "jake" decals they put on their cars, loves it all.

Class and styling grades: Z06- "A", ZR1 "B+", GS-"C".

And where would I rank the class and styling of the narrow body?

"B" to "B+" ....clearly superior to the GS model.

It's just my opinion. I would not want to be seen in a GS, especially one with the vinyl tape.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 AM
bigred6906
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Supercrewbear
Good golly! You would think a Grand Sport is a Pontiac Aztek or something!

It's really weird because when the ZR1 came out it was basically just a gussied up Z06. Do people ever bash the hell out of the ZR1? Personally the window in the ZR1's hood is like having a view of a brick wall... Yet nobody has ever said "The Emperior has no clothes!" I've never seen it here and been looking at this stuff for a year and a half before buying my GS. But if I could afford one I'd take a ZR1 in a heartbeat and would love every square inch of that window!

Just the other day I got out of my car at one of the stores in town and a man sitting in a truck next to me was looking my car over and said "That's got to be the ugliest car I've ever seen!" (He was, of course, joking.) My reply was "I know! I'm embarrassed to be seen in it!" (Also joking.) We both got a big laugh.

So what in the world possess folks on here to downgrade the GS so badly? I'm not a psychologist (though I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...) but I'm guessing it's something on the order of jealousy -- and an even smaller ***** than the rest of us have. All of you GS haters out there please get some help before it's too late!!!

Below is my ugly piece of crap! But I love it just the same...

I agree!!! And the funniest part of all of this is when all these GS haters say that the standard coupe is faster than the GS!!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:09 AM
bigred6906
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DC321

I would have preferred the ZR1 front ducts, but I ordered a GS anyway.

I did get black GS emblems, as I could not stand the chrome.
Where did you get the black GS emblems?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:13 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
I dont like the GS either. Front fenders are ugly... If it kept the Z06 fenders I may like it a bit more, but they kill it for me. The wide body look also doesnt look right as a convert or with the targa off....

Oh and then theres the fact that the "narrow" C6s are proving to be faster because there lighter and create less drag...

If its not a Z car, i say standard body... Plus the extra 5K a GS costs isnt worth the "performance" (dry sump, coolers, mediocre "big brakes") you get for it... You can do Heads, cam, cai, and exhaust for that price and be over 100 rwhp up from the GS for that cash....

But I guess for those who want somewhat of a Z look for a fraction of the price its a good deal...
I'll take the $5K in GS "performance" upgrades over the extra 100hp any day. On the track, those upgrades - especially the brakes and suspension tuning - make a huge difference. The only time the "narrow" C6 is faster is maybe top speed by about 5 mph; on a track with equal drivers, the GS will pull away from a narrow body fairly handily after a handful of corners. BTW - the difference in weight between the narrow and GS is a negligible 40 or so lbs. If you want to argue weight to that increment, the manual GS can claim better balance because of the shift in the battery to the rear.

I find it amusing narrow body owners keep bringing this discussion up and continue to use the undefined "faster" argument as the foundation of the superiority of their cars. If it makes you feel better, here you go: "Yes, I'm so stupid for buying an ugly, slow GS. You are much smarter than me." Now, can we get back to discussing something more productive?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigred6906
I agree!!! And the funniest part of all of this is when all these GS haters say that the standard coupe is faster than the GS!!!!!
Apparently, the narrow body is faster than the GS in top speed. This is a silly and nearly useless accolade. However, it may be true since top speed is hp limited and with hp the same and drag increased in the GS...well, it's just math.

What is funny to me is how hard the GS owners strive to support the idea that the GS is considerably faster than the narrow body LS3 at lower speeds..up to quarter mile speeds. The hp is identical* but gearing is slightly different. Apparently a very small advantage is acceleration goes to the GS.

* That the hp of the GS manual, dry sump is the same as the narrow body LS3 is even challenged by some GS owners. They point to the "hand building" as almost certainly adding hp. Also, perhaps, just perhaps, that dry sump somehow increases hp too.

People are way to quick, IMO, to throw around the term "hater". If a person expresses an opinion that is contrary to their this crowd instantly plays the "hater" card.

I don't hate the GS model. It's an attractive car that I happen to like considerably less than any other C6 model. That makes me a hater?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:18 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^^No it doesn't make you a hater.....Thats why you have a narrow body...bc you like it and that is fine with me...I prefer the wide body GS to the narrow body...do I dislike the narrow all together...no. To each his own man..

The performance of the narrow ls3 and GS on public roads are to close to tell a difference....I can see the GS having an advantage on the road course though.

I was driving today and a silver black vert GS pulled in out at the next light. I got all giddy to see it as I have only seen 2 on the road other than mine. It was just him and I on the road and I got to see all angles of the car as you rarely do on your own car.....

I have to say..It was BAD ***. It looked so wide and very intimidating.

If you have only seen the car in pictures or sitting on the lot you need to see it in action on the road. This goes for the Z as well. you really don't get to see how wide the car is compared to other cars and how it really stands out.

I was laughing like a little kid thinking about getting mine out in a few weeks....

Last edited by MikeSVT04; 03-09-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

bigred6906

What makes you think the GS is any faster?

I think the standard coupe is faster in a straight line....about 100lbs ligher(3208 to 3311lbs of the GS, less drag, less rotating mass....

Last edited by MikeSVT04; 03-09-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the Grand Sport Gwady?

Old 03-09-2011, 02:31 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OregonC6
What is funny to me is how hard the GS owners strive to support the idea that the GS is considerably faster than the narrow body LS3 at lower speeds..up to quarter mile speeds. The hp is identical* but gearing is slightly different. Apparently a very small advantage is acceleration goes to the GS.
It's not that GS owners STRIVE to support the idea the GS is considerably faster. They are merely responding to these lame threads where narrow body owners feel the need to tell everyone how ugly and slow they think the GS is. If narrow body owners would stop starting these threads, GS owners wouldn't STRIVE to do anything but enjoy their Corvettes.

Can anyone produce a GS owner thread bashing the narrow body? To all my fellow GS owners who continue to show some class...
Old 03-09-2011, 02:33 AM
bigred6906
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Apparently, the narrow body is faster than the GS in top speed. This is a silly and nearly useless accolade. However, it may be true since top speed is hp limited and with hp the same and drag increased in the GS...well, it's just math.

* That the hp of the GS manual, dry sump is the same as the narrow body LS3 is even challenged by some GS owners. They point to the "hand building" as almost certainly adding hp. Also, perhaps, just perhaps, that dry sump somehow increases hp too.

People are way to quick, IMO, to throw around the term "hater". If a person expresses an opinion that is contrary to their this crowd instantly plays the "hater" card.

I don't hate the GS model. It's an attractive car that I happen to like considerably less than any other C6 model. That makes me a hater?
**Apparently....that is the key word. The question of whether the vettes are drag limited or computer limited still has not even been able to be answered on this forum and most people haven't been over the 186 mph to find out. What is fact is that the GS has the potential to be SLIGHTLY quicker to 60 mph and to the quarter mile mark. I own a GS but I used to own a narrow body C6 coupe. I like them both, but the GS hating on this forum is out of control.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
bigred6906

What makes you think the GS is any faster?

I think the standard coupe is faster in a straight line....about 100lbs ligher, less drag, less rotating mass....
Most tests I've seen, have shown it 1-2 tenths faster to 60 and at the quarter. The difference is mostly due to traction (wider rear tires) and gearing. The drag won't come into significant play until well above quarter mile speeds. The difference is negligible when driver skill is factored in.

Quick Reply: Is the Grand Sport Gwady?