C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a cover on a daily driver.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:16 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using a cover on a daily driver.

Hello I am new to the forums and have a new 2010 C6 coop in the arctic white variety. I have an unusual problem in that my car is parked in my driveway (because I love my wife more than my car and I let her use the garage) but unfortunately there is a very nice security light at the end of my driveway that does a terrific job of lighting up my driveway but also does a great job of lighting up by white Corvette. As a result virtually every morning especially when the weather is warm my car is covered with literally hundreds of tiny bugs. I'm considering getting a car cover but I am concerned with using a car cover on the car that is driven almost daily and is therefore not necessarily always clean. Do any of you have experience using a car cover routinely on a car that is not freshly washed? Obviously, I'm concerned about abrasion.

Great car, great forum!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 PM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Maybe negotiate with wifey to trade places.....
Old 03-08-2011, 07:32 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use an electronic bug zapper? Use a leaf blower to blow the buggers off?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 PM
yeaidid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Boat

I am in the same boat, my '72 Mustang sits on one side of the garage, and my wifes BMW on the other side. I thought about a car cover, but didn't think it was feasible to cover/uncover it daily. Can't wait to see what the forum members have to say.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
ta70raiii
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran

I wouldn't put a cover on a dirty car. I think you are better off with the bugs.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM
scootertrash19
Racer

Originally Posted by ta70raiii
I wouldn't put a cover on a dirty car. I think you are better off with the bugs.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Some ideas:

-- Hook-up a motion sensor to your security light (so that it's off except when needed).

-- A carport might work for you -- but I really don't like 'em.

-- Use a DIY car wash on your drive to work every day... and get 50 rolls of quarters.

-- Get a house with a 3-car garage.

-- I've never used a "Carcoon", but their website says they've got an outdoor model.

http://www.carcoon.com.au/outdoorsystem.html

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 03-08-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Thank you all. I may try a zapper. The problem with the light is it isn"t mine... It belongs to the neighborhood, so I can't modify it. Guess I should have opted for something other than white!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Some ideas:

-- Hook-up a motion sensor to your security light (so that it's off except when needed).

-- A carport might work for you -- but I really don't like 'em.

-- Use a DIY car wash on your drive to work every day... and get 50 rolls of quarters.

-- Get a house with a 3-car garage.

-- I've never used a "Carcoon", but their website says they've got an

http://www.carcoon.com.au/outdoorsystem.html

... Surprised you didn't mention trading the white car for another color.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:06 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

yes I agree.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Car covers in general are more trouble than they are worth. Once they get dirty they are almost impossible to clean and generally cause more damage than they protect. Don't the bugs fly off once you drive away.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:51 PM
tpapablo
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a DD that I park outside (under an oak that drops more crap than would seem possible) that I cover every night. I have had no problem with paint scratches or anything else with that arrangement. When I came out this morning, the cover had, among other things, drops of sap all over it. I thanked the good lord that I had a cover. I wash my cover every two weeks or so and have had no problems with that - cover still works fine. Now, if in driving the car it gets particularly dirty (rare), I probably wouldn't use the cover, figuring there would be no point to it. As it is, however, my car looks garage kept every day when I drive to work.

Bottom line - I wouldn't dream of not using the cover.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 PM
tpapablo
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, it takes me all of a minute to put on the cover and less than a minute to take it off. No trouble at all.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

If the bugs aren't dead they will eventually fly away. Definitely won't stay on the car if you drive it.

Bill
Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM
kthomas
Racer

if you put your car outside you won't mind the small scratches a car cover would put on it. Plus, if you zaino your car 2-3x's a year you won't be able to tell. I have a stormproof car cover that I use when I leave town for a week or so. I garage mine, but would definitely use the cover if it was outside in the elements.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Icebear
Pro

Would never put a cover on unless the car was clean!!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
dd229
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tpapablo
I have a DD that I park outside (under an oak that drops more crap than would seem possible) that I cover every night. I have had no problem with paint scratches or anything else with that arrangement. When I came out this morning, the cover had, among other things, drops of sap all over it. I thanked the good lord that I had a cover. I wash my cover every two weeks or so and have had no problems with that - cover still works fine. Now, if in driving the car it gets particularly dirty (rare), I probably wouldn't use the cover, figuring there would be no point to it. As it is, however, my car looks garage kept every day when I drive to work.

Bottom line - I wouldn't dream of not using the cover.
+1 for me. With the Black Z06 I found if I didn't at least use a duster on it before covering then swirl marks were a slight problem. With the torch red it is not a problem. I use it because the dew in so. cal. is really heavy and it keeps it dry. The car is washed weekly and detailed monthly through a service so it so far has looked good, but we're only a few months in.

Get notified of new replies

To Using a cover on a daily driver.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My '05 vert lives outdoors 24/7/365 about 50 yards from the Pacific Ocean. Needless to say there's plenty of weather conditions to protect my car from, not to mention the never ending birds!

I've tried several covers including Noahs, which all fell apart after a couple seasons or less. The one I'm most inpressed with is the Covercraft WeatherShield HP series cover.

This makes an excellent indoor cover as well because it is very light weight and easy to put on & take off.

It's custom fitted for any model Corvette, light weight and virtually water proof. After a couple months I just throw it in the washing machine and let it air dry. Looks great again! I keep it folded up inside one of the cubby holes. Highly recommended

Old 03-10-2011, 01:06 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, mine is kept in the garage but it still gets covered in dust and once I get out on the the streets and park it at work it's filthy. Doesn't help that it's black.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:08 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr
My '05 vert lives outdoors 24/7/365 about 50 yards from the Pacific Ocean. Needless to say there's plenty of weather conditions to protect my car from, not to mention the never ending birds!
And I'll bet you don't surf. That's my dream to live that close to the beach, and the Pacific at that.

Quick Reply: Using a cover on a daily driver.