C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch Auto Pull Down Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:56 PM
divesheik
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP PLEASE!! Rear Hatch Auto Pull Down Problem

Hello all. Been browsing the forums looking for the problem I'm having, but haven't seen anything quite right. So I could really use some help.

I've got an '08 coupe with the rear hatch auto pull down system. When my problems first started the auto pull down feature wouldn't work once in a while. I just had to pop the hatch and close it again and it worked fine. Well my problems have gotten progressively worse. The auto pull down feature is about completely gone, and I'm having problems getting the hatch to open at all. The exterior switch, the FOB and the interior release switch all appear to be working. I can hear clocking at the back hatch assembly when I depress any of these buttons.

At this time I have the latch plate in my hand (removed from the hatch itsself) so I can see and hear what is going on. When trying to simulate closing the hatch the auto pull down feature of the latch has only worked once out of 10 attempts. The latch itself will completely engage if I push down on it though. When simulating opening the hatch I am pulling up on the latch plate and depressing buttons at the same time. I can hear clicking going on in the latch assembly, but no release. It is taking about 1/2 dozen button pushed before the latch assembly releases the hatch, and the auto pull down is gone.

Has anyone has this problem? Is it the solenoid in the latch assembly? I could sure use some help from anyone who has experienced this.

Thanks,

Last edited by divesheik; 03-06-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Update Title
Old 03-19-2011, 09:29 AM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same problem on my 08 Z that just arrived this week.

I think there must be a stickie on this but I have failed to find it.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I haven't heard of many problems like yours.

I've heard of problems where plastic bags or fabric have got caught in the latch.

However, if the solenoid/motor are getting weak and not releasing properly or not pulling down the hatch properly, I don't think there's much to do but get a new latch.

Take a look at the diagram on this site:

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...12&grouptype=B

It looks like you need that item# 14 (which also includes #13). You can see it looks like the GM Part# is 15220345.

It's available from forum vendors at a discount, for instance Gene Culley at http://gmpartshouse.com it's about $269.

You could also check with salvage operators, or check with forum member RLSebring - I got one for my 2006 Z06 from him when I changed out the manual latch to an auto pull down latch.

Again, I just haven't heard of any other reports of failure of the latch motor or solenoid, but I would imagine if it's weak and not operating correctly it might just need to be replaced.

Bob
Old 03-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I haven't heard of many problems like yours.

I've heard of problems where plastic bags or fabric have got caught in the latch.

However, if the solenoid/motor are getting weak and not releasing properly or not pulling down the hatch properly, I don't think there's much to do but get a new latch.

Take a look at the diagram on this site:

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...12&grouptype=B

It looks like you need that item# 14 (which also includes #13). You can see it looks like the GM Part# is 15220345.

It's available from forum vendors at a discount, for instance Gene Culley at http://gmpartshouse.com it's about $269.

You could also check with salvage operators, or check with forum member RLSebring - I got one for my 2006 Z06 from him when I changed out the manual latch to an auto pull down latch.

Again, I just haven't heard of any other reports of failure of the latch motor or solenoid, but I would imagine if it's weak and not operating correctly it might just need to be replaced.

Bob
Nice write up and feedback
Old 03-19-2011, 11:17 AM
divesheik
Advanced

Default Latch Problems

Originally Posted by Ratchet Thunderbolt
Nice write up and feedback
Thanks to all for the feedback on this so far. Yes, the latch assembly is a sealed unit so the solenoid is not serviceable. I'm going to get through the troubleshooting today with my new tech tool to ensure nothing else is going on before I order the new expensive latch assembly. Bummer, but I guess it happens.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Good luck!!

Let us know what you find out - whether you're able to fix it, or if you have to go with a new unit.

Bob
Old 03-28-2011, 08:59 PM
divesheik
Advanced

Default The verdict is in!

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Good luck!!

Let us know what you find out - whether you're able to fix it, or if you have to go with a new unit.

Bob
For anyone who has this problem with their C6, it was the latch assembly. Received the new one and installed today in 15 minutes. Problem solved! Rather expensive part though. $270.00 online, but that is better than the local dealer price of nearly $400.00. Seems odd that this part fails with only 10K on the car. Oh well, now I have one I can cut open with a Dremel to see if it is user repairable. Stay tuned for results on that venture.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

I may have this problem with a brand new car but, I need to check and make sure it's not me...nice write up...however mine should be covered under warranty....
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 PM
BB 2005
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '13

I read here awhile back about the fist solution, bring the hatch down and then push the hatch with your fist to activate the closer. Don't just close the hatch and expect it to activate the closer. This works for me, if not then you may have to replace parts.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by divesheik
For anyone who has this problem with their C6, it was the latch assembly......Oh well, now I have one I can cut open with a Dremel to see if it is user repairable. Stay tuned for results on that venture.
Excellent!!!!

Glad to hear you got your problem solved!!

Although, sorry to hear it took the "expensive" fix.

Thanks for the report.

Bob
Old 03-28-2011, 11:26 PM
divesheik
Advanced

Default Hope So!

Originally Posted by Bonefishmak
I may have this problem with a brand new car but, I need to check and make sure it's not me...nice write up...however mine should be covered under warranty....
Yes, I wish mine would have been under the warranty. Warranty on the body expired 3 months before the problem occurred. Oh well.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by divesheik
For anyone who has this problem with their C6, it was the latch assembly. Received the new one and installed today in 15 minutes. Problem solved! Rather expensive part though. $270.00 online, but that is better than the local dealer price of nearly $400.00. Seems odd that this part fails with only 10K on the car. Oh well, now I have one I can cut open with a Dremel to see if it is user repairable. Stay tuned for results on that venture.
Nice job getting this resolved, Derek.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

For those with Z06 models, I don't believe early Z06's had the hatch pull down. Not sure when it was added but I do remember at least one thread where someone went to the trouble and expense of adding it.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:12 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Mine has just started to stick occassionally.

OP, let us know if it looks fixable when you tear into it. And post some pics if you can.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Ammo
For those with Z06 models, I don't believe early Z06's had the hatch pull down. Not sure when it was added but I do remember at least one thread where someone went to the trouble and expense of adding it.
Yeah...mine doesn't have it. I've been kinda scratching my head trying to figure out what was going on. It would be nice though. It's bitzz to shut if the car is closed up tight.

Larry
Old 03-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Folks, I have a suggestion. I have a 2007 Coupe. Not sure if the system is the same but if I leave my front door open or window down, I then grab the hatch and pull it down. I let go about 1 foot from the closed position and the top will slowly drop to about one inch from being closed and then it pulls itself right down and the hatch is closed.

If I try the same thing with the front windows and door closed the hatch won't close as described above. It's seems the car with the windows closed is just too air tight. What I have to do then it put both hands on the hatch and push it all the way closed.

See if it works for you. I just make sure the driver side door is the last thing I close. Good Luck
Old 03-29-2011, 01:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ammo
Yes.....someone did add it to their early C6 Z06!!!

Here's a link to the thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ear-hatch.html

Scroll down to post# 44 where I finally got the parts and started the installation.

Starting with the 2009 model year the Z06 got the auto pull down latch installed by the factory - something that a GT car of this sort should have had from the start. It also should have had the power passenger seat and adjustable lumbar support and side bolsters all along!! But....they, too, can be added to an early C6 Z06.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Hatch Auto Pull Down Problem

Old 08-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Rosh
5th Gear

Default I had a similar problem

I had a similar problem. https://youtu.be/UY1VTruEaRs
Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 PM
crox
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosh
I had a similar problem. https://youtu.be/UY1VTruEaRs
To all, be sure you have deep sockets to remove the 10mm and 8mm nuts.
The YouTube video I had to change out the rear latch assembly failed to mention that. Thus, a trip to Lowes in the middle of the process, which I hate. Had the shallow sockets and they do not work! Also the electronics have to be transferred to the new latch, so you are best served to take photos before you disconnect, which I did per the video.
You will save a few hundred dollars in labor by doing yourself. I'm not technical savvy, so if I can do it anyone can.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:57 AM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a problem where the hatch wouldn't pop up and appeared stuck when I pressed the open button. I LUBRICATED the rubber weather stripping seal all around the hatch, and the hatch opened fine.

Last edited by joliett; 09-03-2016 at 04:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Auto Pull Down Problem