C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM
thetopdog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Recommendations for Brakes?

My pads and rotors on my 2006 base coupe both need replacing. Last time I got it done at the dealership and it came out to something like $1000, which wouldn't have been too bad, but the brakes didn't last that long before they started giving me problems again

This time I'd like to try ordering brakes online and seeing if I can not only save a little cash, but maybe get increased performance out of them too. Any suggestions on what specific brakes to look for and where to buy them from? The Tire Rack has a few different sets of rotors and pads for sale, does anybody have any feedback on those?

I don't really track or autocross, so I'm just looking for brakes with decent stopping power for the street, low noise/squealing and good longevity

Thanks in advance
Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
My pads and rotors on my 2006 base coupe both need replacing. Last time I got it done at the dealership and it came out to something like $1000, which wouldn't have been too bad, but the brakes didn't last that long before they started giving me problems again

This time I'd like to try ordering brakes online and seeing if I can not only save a little cash, but maybe get increased performance out of them too. Any suggestions on what specific brakes to look for and where to buy them from? The Tire Rack has a few different sets of rotors and pads for sale, does anybody have any feedback on those?

I don't really track or autocross, so I'm just looking for brakes with decent stopping power for the street, low noise/squealing and good longevity

Thanks in advance
i think a set of z51 rotors or dba slotted rotors would be a good choice. add that to some low dust cobalt pads and ss lines and you should see a nice increase in pedal feel as well as stopping power.

when purchasing rotors try to find the unit that weighs the least, cheaper rotors are usually heavier and will make your car feel slower, i believe the dba units are a bit lighter than the stock z51s, just something to consider
Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 PM
thetopdog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
i think a set of z51 rotors or dba slotted rotors would be a good choice. add that to some low dust cobalt pads and ss lines and you should see a nice increase in pedal feel as well as stopping power.

when purchasing rotors try to find the unit that weighs the least, cheaper rotors are usually heavier and will make your car feel slower, i believe the dba units are a bit lighter than the stock z51s, just something to consider
Thanks for the advice, any links to places I can buy the Z51 or dba rotors online?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:48 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Thanks for the advice, any links to places I can buy the Z51 or dba rotors online?
you may want to also talk to LG, they are racers with tons of experience,

heres what they have for rotors:

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=1542
Old 03-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Gravy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this article very helpful for brake upgrades.

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_09...ade/index.html

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations for Brakes?

Quick Reply: Recommendations for Brakes?