C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POLL: LED Reverse Lights - More light or Less light than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM
madcadr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default POLL: LED Reverse Lights - More light or Less light than stock?

I am curious to see what other owners that ALREADY have done the LED reverse lights think about the amount of light that it casts compared to the stock ones:

I say LESS light...
Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Where's the Poll?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:47 AM
JIMSC62006
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed mine out a few months ago and don't really notice that there is much difference.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 AM
sampaschal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have to Vote...Less Light...when installing the LEDs... I had to configure a mirror so I could see if they were on after I had installed them and that was in a darkened garage. Stock bulbs could easily be seen reflecting light off the garage door...not so with the LEDs... I still like the White light though...
Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Xedes
Safety Car

I would vote, "who cares? They look 1000x's better than those stock yellowish lights and drain less energy ( I really don't care about the energy either)" .
Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 AM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Xedes
I would vote, "who cares? They look 1000x's better than those stock yellowish lights and drain less energy ( I really don't care about the energy either)" .
An important question. The sole purpose of back-up lights is to see behind you so you don't back-up into something or someone. The look of the back-up lights themselves, or the current drain of them when illuminated, or the life of the bulbs, are of no consequence because of the brief and infrequent times they are actually used. The only thing that matters is how well you can see things behind you when they are on. So far it looks as though LED back-up lights are a really poor modification, and a total waste of money. Thanks OP for taking this pole.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 PM
One Bad Vette
Burning Brakes

I went with the super bright ones from JW Motoring and they are brighter than stock. Dont know about the regular ones, but these are real bright and like said, look 100% better than stock. All plug and play. Ive switched every light on my car to LED inside and out.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Originally Posted by laconiajack
An important question. The sole purpose of back-up lights is to see behind you so you don't back-up into something or someone. The look of the back-up lights themselves, or the current drain of them when illuminated, or the life of the bulbs, are of no consequence because of the brief and infrequent times they are actually used. The only thing that matters is how well you can see things behind you when they are on. So far it looks as though LED back-up lights are a really poor modification, and a total waste of money. Thanks OP for taking this pole.
What car are you driving because I drive a C6 corvette. On MY car the backup lights are low to the ground and just about useless for the most part. Will it light up a car or wall so I can use my eyes to guess how much room I have, sure. Will they light up my driveway when reversing out of it so I can see anything that runs in my path, no freakin way. You want the best reverse protection, install a rear backup camera like it did. /thread

One last thing.....I have the super bright led reverse bulbs for people to see me. Once again, because my lights are so low to the ground and most people don't see them or they don't grab other drivers attention...especially with the dull yellowish OEM bulbs.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How often do you back up in a VERY DARK place.. ?? In "MY" case they are a waste of $$$ JMO
Old 02-28-2011, 01:40 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I think that the 'normal' LED backup lights are similar to the stock ones in brightness BUT are whiter as opposed to yellowish. They do look better when lit up but as other have said, "What value that is to you depends on your prospective."

I just bought the 'Super Bright' LED backup lights (only $25 so worth a try) and I will post up some comparison photos within a few days.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:44 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Where's the Poll?
Don't post "poll" if you're not gonna do one!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:53 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Where's the Poll?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by jpee
How often do you back up in a VERY DARK place.. ?? In "MY" case they are a waste of $$$ JMO
We use our C6 as a DD and long distance road tripper, so backing up in very dark places is common for us. So, I'd like to get brighter backup lights. But rearward visibility in the C6 is so poor that they would need to be a LOT brighter to make any difference.

If the C7 is delayed a while, maybe we'll get a factory backup camera in the C6.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I have NEVER had backup lights help me in seeing what is behind me. Backup lights are not for that, they are for someone behind you to know you are backing up and not parked or going forward. Also, imho spending any money on back up lights is a complete waste of time and money. I back in and out of a parking spot, I back up into or out of my driveway, who cares if they are LED, super white or whatever white, they are on 0.00001% of the time.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

One last thing.....I have the super bright led reverse bulbs for people to see me. Once again, because my lights are so low to the ground and most people don't see them or they don't grab other drivers attention...especially with the dull yellowish OEM bulbs.
So you have been hit a whole bunch when you have been backing up?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:12 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

What car are you driving because I drive a C6 corvette. On MY car the backup lights are low to the ground and just about useless for the most part. Will it light up a car or wall so I can use my eyes to guess how much room I have, sure. Will they light up my driveway when reversing out of it so I can see anything that runs in my path, no freakin way. You want the best reverse protection, install a rear backup camera like it did. /thread

I also have a back-up camera, but of course the camera also needs lighting to see at night.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Vivid1
Burning Brakes

I didnt buy my reverse LEDs for functionality. They look way better. Seems the same brightness to me.

Get notified of new replies

To POLL: LED Reverse Lights - More light or Less light than stock?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default reverse

im trying these out right now from apr
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Vivid1
I didnt buy my reverse LEDs for functionality. They look way better. Seems the same brightness to me.
When do they look better and who do they look better for, Joe blow when you are backing out of a parking stall? I bet he is not saying, nice mod on that Corvette, I would think he is saying something more along the lines of "finally a parking spot!"
Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i got these for $15 shipped and the work great. Nice for when you walk up to your at night , they really light up the area behind the car, if you use your fob to unlock .

Last edited by Tact; 02-28-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Non supporting vendor links NOT allowed

Quick Reply: POLL: LED Reverse Lights - More light or Less light than stock?