C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunnel Plate....necessary? which one?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 AM
jeterarodyks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunnel Plate....necessary? which one?? HELP

Ok my friend bought the obx headers last summer and is going to install them but hes confused on the tunnel plate. He read a view that just bought the c6 plate for $70 and then wrapped it themselves in a DIY project. Then he saw about the ones being sold from $165-280 on here..........How much hotter do the headers get and how necessary is it to get the tunnel??? Which one should he buy????? Its not a racer or anything like that..just a mild driver in the summer time. Appreciate the input...thanks alot!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:12 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

The car has a tunnel plate already. If he has a heat issue, usually experienced in the console, with the stock plate then he may be well advised to go with one of the insulated plates. Elite Engineering comes to mind as best known but there are others. If he hasn't had a heat issue with the stock plate then he may be okay after headers.

I don't have headers on my car so I can't speak from experience. You may want to ask a more direct question about additional heat with header install. Or just wait and see what others say.

Good luck.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 PM
KP08
Advanced

I installed the insulated Elite plate on my 08 Vert at the same time as headers and exhaust. I did it because the heat build up in the console was already more than I cared for. I believe the new plate is 3/16" aluminum with a heat wrap on it. It installed perfectly and reduced the heat coming off the tunnel by at least half. A side benefit is I think I notice less cowl flex than before, but that would be harder to qualify.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:15 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO tunnel plates aren't needed and as said, there's a OEM plate there already, but if you've decided that you *need* an aftermarket plate either for added rigidity or heat deflection, then the time to do it is when you're installing headers.

I installed an aftermarket, thermo-coated plate. It greatly helped with the rigidity issues I was experiencing with my vert. I did not notice any heat reduction in the center console, but then I never noticed any heat issues anyway.

Later, when installing American Racing Headers, I removed the heavy aftermarket tunnel plate and replaced it with one made from aeronautics compound: stronger and much lighter.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,263 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by KP08
I installed the insulated Elite plate on my 08 Vert at the same time as headers and exhaust. I did it because the heat build up in the console was already more than I cared for. I believe the new plate is 3/16" aluminum with a heat wrap on it. It installed perfectly and reduced the heat coming off the tunnel by at least half. A side benefit is I think I notice less cowl flex than before, but that would be harder to qualify.
Same for me.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:34 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 803 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...n-testing.html
Old 02-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

If a coupe, DIY heat proofing could do.
Plates do aid in cooling the center console.
May or may not reduce flex in a coupe.

If Vert...I swear mine increased handling/ reduced flex. Recommended. I think I purchased Elite's 1/4 aluminum non coated....this mod was years ago.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

If you didn't post that, I was going to. Claiming temps are cut in half in the console area is wishful thinking.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I installed the Elite Engineering ceramic coated tunnel plate with the 'thermal abs' heat blanket. Got it on sale.

Since I was replacing the exhaust system including the X/H pipe, the install was very easy.

The heat in my center console, and interior in general was significantly reduced. No science just the candy bar test.

Easy affordable mod that actually makes a difference.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Elite Engineering
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
I installed the Elite Engineering ceramic coated tunnel plate with the 'thermal abs' heat blanket. Got it on sale.

Since I was replacing the exhaust system including the X/H pipe, the install was very easy.

The heat in my center console, and interior in general was significantly reduced. No science just the candy bar test.

Easy affordable mod that actually makes a difference.

Click for Elite Engineering

Get notified of new replies

To Tunnel Plate....necessary? which one?? HELP

Quick Reply: Tunnel Plate....necessary? which one?? HELP