C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SIC Z frt bumper without widebody,,opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:56 AM
pinoyvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SIC Z frt bumper without widebody,,opinions needed

I really like the look of this frt bumper but im not doing the rear widebody. The frt bumper looks wider and im wondering if its gonna look proportioned with the rear not being widebody. thx
Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

its not wider, same width as stock just lower
Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

It will look just fine. There are lots of photos of the SIC Z06 style bumper on cars without the wide booty. Just check out the SIC bumper thread.

Also, here is an example of one.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-msp-pics.html

I have to admit though, I love my wide booty look along with the SIC bumper.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 PM
pinoyvette
Racer

im so close to purchasing one...thx
Old 02-23-2011, 02:17 PM
n2toys1
Advanced

I sent them my fuel door to match the paint and it came out perfect. I would not hesitate. I have not had a chance to mount it yet though.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:28 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

From what I have read there are problems with getting the fog lights to fit properly.

BJK
Old 02-23-2011, 02:37 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
From what I have read there are problems with getting the fog lights to fit properly.

BJK
It may take a little tweaking but mine came out fitting very well.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:29 PM
robbiC5
Burning Brakes

BJK
Yeah, mine fit like crap. I almost completely deleted them and was going to put mesh in their place. In the end, I've got them fitting nice but WAY too much work to get there. The mounting provisions for the fogs AND all grills leave alot to be desired. I've been trying to get some info to install a OEM ZO6 grill in it for the past several months, I've received zero help with question like "do I need the rear grill insert?" or "what's the best method to install?" If I had to do it again, I'd go a different direction.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:08 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robbiC5
Yeah, mine fit like crap. I almost completely deleted them and was going to put mesh in their place. In the end, I've got them fitting nice but WAY too much work to get there. The mounting provisions for the fogs AND all grills leave alot to be desired. I've been trying to get some info to install a OEM ZO6 grill in it for the past several months, I've received zero help with question like "do I need the rear grill insert?" or "what's the best method to install?" If I had to do it again, I'd go a different direction.
It was your posts that I was thinking about when I mentioned the problems. There are others that have also struggled some what with the fit.

BJK
Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, here's my take on the SIC Z06 bumper.

First, the overall fitment of the bumper itself is very good if you have a competent shop do the installation as I did.

I did have to do some work (with a Dremel and a drill) to get the fog lights to fit well but they ended up looking great.

The side marker light fit well with very little work, if any.

If you are going to use the (screen) grills that come with the SIC bumper then those are just held on with screws, so not much of a problem there.

BUT, if you want to use the OEM Z06 grills then you will have a few things to work on. The lower large grill fits very well but I wasn't able to install it in the same manner as it would on an OEM Z06 bumper. The back of the larger opening is made to facilitate the installment of the screen grills. To use an OEM Z06 grill you have to find another way to secure it. I just used small bolts and locking nuts on the back side of the grill edges to hold it in place.

I had a lot of trouble getting the stock Z06 upper scoop grill to work as the opening was a little too small for the OEM grill. I had to use a Dremmel to enlarge the opening slightly to get it to work and it's still not a great fit. If I had it do do over again, I would just place a wire mesh behind the UPPER scoop opening and not try to make the OEM grill work.

Also, for those people that are wondering, the middle front on my car has 4-1/4" clearance. (I have not lowered my car)

In the end my bumper turned out very well and was way less $$$ than doing a full front Z06 conversion.

Side note: Once I get my car paid off, then I will probably do the full Z06 front conversion.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 02-23-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

Here's mine...Randy in the previous post gets it right - the upper scoop opening is not worth enlarging to get the little grille in there - I just put mesh behind it. I also put mesh behind the OEM Z06 grille for a consistent look. I was also npt thrilled with how the fog lights mount and wound up cutting the lenses off my fogs and blacking them out by painting them from behind. I had never used the fog lights as I don't drive the car in foul weather. I have since adjusted the hood and added stripes to the nose....Overall I would rate the SIC piece an 8-out-10 and the SIC service as 10-out-of-10
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

VETFEVER, I see what looks like a bad fit across the top of the bumper where it meets the hood. I have noticed the same thing on most of the photos of this product. I seems very pronounced in your pictures. Is that an optical illusion or did you have to struggle trying to get it to fit?

BJK
Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

VETFEVER, I see what looks like a bad fit across the top of the bumper where it meets the hood. I have noticed the same thing on most of the photos of this product. I seems very pronounced in your pictures. Is that an optical illusion or did you have to struggle trying to get it to fit?

BJK
I removed the hood while doing the bumper project - then when I popped the hood back on I snapped these pics befire adjusting it. The alignment between hood and bumper is actually very good...
Old 02-27-2011, 11:02 AM
0SicMSP - Daniel
Former Vendor

Hey Guys,
First - thanks for the good and honest words. We have since fixed the fog light issue. and the new bumpers are also lighter and stronger. We changed our high pressure component and there's even less prep work need. They'll be out in about 2 weeks.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:15 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

This is for the guys who are wondering how to get the upper ZO6 air scoop to fit the SIC bumper. Since the opening is not quite large enough to fit the oem scoop, simply take the scoop and cut it in half and remove equal amounts from both half's starting from the center. (For example, if you remove an 1/8" from one half, do the same to the other, just be sure to do it from the center where you made the cut)

Put the two pieces back together and do a test fit. If it's fits, bond the pieces back together, fill the seam, sand then paint. This was easier than trying to expand the opening.

I recommend a body shop to do this project as they will have the materials and should be an easy job for them.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:45 PM
jor8888
Racer

Originally Posted by SicMSP - Daniel
Hey Guys,
First - thanks for the good and honest words. We have since fixed the fog light issue. and the new bumpers are also lighter and stronger. We changed our high pressure component and there's even less prep work need. They'll be out in about 2 weeks.
are the new bumpers same design or diff? chance for grp buy? check this thread alot of us are in the grp buy for CIANCI Performance's new bumpers.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...a-presale.html

Last edited by jor8888; 02-27-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 PM
0SicMSP - Daniel
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by St.Char
This is for the guys who are wondering how to get the upper ZO6 air scoop to fit the SIC bumper. Since the opening is not quite large enough to fit the oem scoop, simply take the scoop and cut it in half and remove equal amounts from both half's starting from the center. (For example, if you remove an 1/8" from one half, do the same to the other, just be sure to do it from the center where you made the cut)

Put the two pieces back together and do a test fit. If it's fits, bond the pieces back together, fill the seam, sand then paint. This was easier than trying to expand the opening.

I recommend a body shop to do this project as they will have the materials and should be an easy job for them.
We actually modify the bumper for the people that order with the Z grills, so nothing will have to be done from your body shop

Originally Posted by jor8888
are the new bumpers same design or diff? chance for grp buy? check this thread alot of us are in the grp buy for CIANCI Performance's new bumpers.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...a-presale.html
same design - just a lighter, stronger and less prep time material

Get notified of new replies

To SIC Z frt bumper without widebody,,opinions needed

Quick Reply: SIC Z frt bumper without widebody,,opinions needed