C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZO6 - Why So Many for Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:52 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A lot of interesting comments...

I think I made an incorrect statement in my first post. I said I thought there were more ZO6s for sale than other Vettes.

I've been regularly checking on the availability of used C6s in my area for several weeks.

I've not been paying any attention to convertibles because I'm not interested in one.

The most Vettes available are 1LT base cars. There aren't many Z51s, 2LT, or 3LT.

The next most available are ZO6s and they often have very few miles. This makes sense to me. The ZO6 is an enthusiasts' car. I'd say most owners keep the miles low and pamper them, except for when they're sampling the power.

I agree that the GS has probably bit into ZO6 sales. I also agree that the tough economy has probably caused a lot of ZO6 owners to sell.

I never even really thought that some may be trading up to a ZR1. It's so far out of my price range and is rare enough that I often don't even think about it when I think of the current crop of Corvettes.

Last edited by A Marsh; 02-22-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Not sure I agree with the premise that there are more used Z06 Corvettes for sale than others. The numbers don't support that anywhere I have looked.

There are some great deals on low mileage Z06's right now. I bought my 06 Z06 in September with 2,500 miles on it and absolutely love it. The GS is a nice car but I certainly wouldn't consider it a move up from a Z06. If open air motoring is important to you a GS is a good fit. The ZR1 is a terrific car but I actually prefer the larger displacement, naturally aspirated 427 in the Z06. Plus it's great on gas on the highway.

If you are considering a used Z06, now is the time to buy. IMO it's by far the greatest Corvette I have ever driven.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KX

Wrong, wrong and wrong.
There is and was only one Corvette designated as "King Of The Hill",
and that was the one and only original '90 thru 95' ZR-1..!!
There's a new "King Of The Hill"

Old 02-22-2011, 11:57 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Nothing beats a z06...
Old 02-22-2011, 12:03 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

It just seems to me there are more ZO6s up for sale than other Vettes and I'm wondering why.[/QUOTE]

So what is holding you back from purchasing a Z06? And where did you get your facts from that it seems to be more ZO6s up for sale than other Vettes?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Probably because most people do not hold onto cars for more than 3-5 years. Those that bought Z06s new are now getting rid of them for the next big thing.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RobVette
It just seems to me there are more ZO6s up for sale than other Vettes and I'm wondering why.
I corrected that erroneous statement in my previous post. Most C6s I've located for sale in my area are 1LT base Vettes. There are very few Z51, 2LT, or 3LT cars as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted by RobVette
So what is holding you back from purchasing a Z06? And where did you get your facts from that it seems to be more ZO6s up for sale than other Vettes?
Gosh, give me a break. I haven't done any in-depth research. It's a perception. I have no facts and never stated it as such. I said, "it seems..."

Obviously, you don't agree.

I just did a search for certified used Corvettes within 200 miles of my zip code. 13 cars were found. 3 were verts. 7 were base coupes. 3 were ZO6s, all with low miles. I haven't been paying any attention to the verts since I'm not interested in one.

The ZO6 is an amazing car. It just surprises me there are so many for sale with so few miles.

I'll get one if and when I get over the reluctance I feel at having $50K, or so, tied up in a car.

I'll go back to the C5 forum now.

Last edited by A Marsh; 02-22-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Gosh, give me a break.

Please do not take these responses too serious!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Sunset Orng 05
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
Sales are in the toilet for the Z because of the the ZR1 and GS. The ZR1 is faster for those seeking the top performing Vette. The GS looks like the Z06 and has much of the same hardware. But, is a much more versatile, practical, all around Car for daily street use.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
Sales are in the toilet for the Z because of the the ZR1 and GS. The ZR1 is faster for those seeking the top performing Vette. The GS looks like the Z06 and has much of the same hardware. But, is a much more versatile, practical, all around Car for daily street use.

I traded a C5Z for a GS. And, never looked back.
This pretty much sums it up.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by A Marsh
I corrected that erroneous statement in my previous post. Most C6s I've located for sale in my area are 1LT base Vettes. There are very few Z51, 2LT, or 3LT cars as far as I can tell.

Gosh, give me a break. I haven't done any in-depth research. It's a perception. I have no facts and never stated it as such. I said, "it seems..."

Obviously, you don't agree.

I just did a search for certified used Corvettes within 200 miles of my zip code. 13 cars were found. 3 were verts. 7 were base coupes. 3 were ZO6s, all with low miles. I haven't been paying any attention to the verts since I'm not interested in one.

The ZO6 is an amazing car. It just surprises me there are so many for sale with so few miles.

I'll get one if and when I get over the reluctance I feel at having $50K, or so, tied up in a car.

I'll go back to the C5 forum now.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:57 PM
dd229
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=R&L's C6;1576861204]
Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Isn't it obvious? Grand Sport is a far more flexible platform that appeals to more buyers....

I was thinking the same thing but one would have to know if all the owners of those Z06's are getting back into a Grand Sport. As far as new sales, I agree 100%.
That's exactly what happened for me. I got more horespower than the '03 z06, a car that IMHO is one of the nicer looking corvettes and a lower pricepoint. I looked at the Z06 C6 for several years and just couldn't justify the pricepoint. It's a beautiful car but the GS just caught my eye.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:59 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I'm starting to seriously look at used/certified ZO6s with the intention of trading for one later this year. There's no shortage of well-maintained, low-mileage cars for sale. I think that's great, but I wonder why it's that way.

Is it because they come to realize they're only able to use 30 - 40% of the car's potential on a regular basis and get to the point of not being able to continue to justify paying so much for what's basically an expensive toy?

Is it because they may not be as easy to live with as a daily driver as a more base Vette? (stiffer ride, automatic not available, etc.)

Is it for some other reason I haven't even thought of?

I'm not trying to stir the stink pot. It just seems to me there are more ZO6s up for sale than other Vettes and I'm wondering why.
I have to say, since I do own a Z06, that at least for me, all your comments are spot on. But I am holding on to mine, at least for a while longer, purely for the fun factor. Since mine is paid for there isn't the issue of continuing to have to make payments to enjoy the fun. If I was making payments, I would say I would sell because I, like many others I suspect, cant use more that 30-40% of the performance envelope. But I wouldn't go into a GS, I would drop back down to a base LS3 vert with an auto. Just where I think I would be having fun but at a reduced cost.

And don't let some of the other posters bother you, they just have an opinion that differs from you even if they seem to be hard a**ed.

QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm starting to seriously look at used/certified ZO6s with the intention of trading for one later this year. There's no shortage of well-maintained, low-mileage cars for sale. I think that's great, but I wonder why it's that way.

Is it because they come to realize they're only able to use 30 - 40% of the car's potential on a regular basis and get to the point of not being able to continue to justify paying so much for what's basically an expensive toy?

Is it because they may not be as easy to live with as a daily driver as a more base Vette? (stiffer ride, automatic not available, etc.)

Is it for some other reason I haven't even thought of?

I'm not trying to stir the stink pot. It just seems to me there are more ZO6s up for sale than other Vettes and I'm wondering why.
God I hate it when I have 60-70% of my Z's power under foot "that I don't use"

Seriously the real question you should ask is how many are up for sale so they can purchase a GS. The majority of People that buy Z cars know what they are getting into in the first place. My guess is the owners of the ZR1 are well off enough to weather the economic storm, The base C6 owners got into the Vette buying experience "on the cheap" so probably don't have much of an issue affording it.The ZO6 is my toy.I would not own it if I did not have a DD. In these times of lost revenue toys go first,a $50K C6 is easier to KEEP than a $75K Z.
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly why does it matter that there are so many Z06s for sale? If you want one then buy one if it is in the budget.

Quick Reply: ZO6 - Why So Many for Sale?