C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F55 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM
dealer06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F55 question

I'm looking at a car (2007 M6 F55) for sale on a used car dealer's website. The car is several hours away from me (car is in Manheim, PA) so I can't easily check it out.

I had a salesman confirm that the F55 code was inside the glove box after convincing him that the big black button on the console was a ride select button. The salesman kept insisting that the button didn't do anything as far as he could tell. Is there something I can ask him to look at or check to see whether the F55 is still working and that no one has replaced the magnetic shocks with conventional ones, etc?

I don't know if it helps, but here's the link to the photos of the car: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...c&aff=national

I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks!

Joe
Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Sharp looking car!

You've confirmed F55 the best way, the glove box code list.

It would be highly unlikely that the F55 shocks were replaced, especially with regular shocks. Most who have replaced/do replace them do it for coil over shocks, and that's pretty big bucks.

If you're interested in the car, get a GMVIS report to see what warranty work has been done and if there are any warranty blocks on the car. If the car isn't at a GM dealer you can post the VIN in a new thread here and ask for a VIS report or email the VIN to one of these vendors:

Anyone else needing a GMVIS report email me your VIN!!
dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com
Dennis Fichtner

I am happy to run a GMVIS report for anyone. You just have to email me directly.
gculley@gmpartshouse.com

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

It has the F55 option. I live in Manheim Pa.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Buyer, meet seller...
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Larry/car
It has the F55 option. I live in Manheim Pa.
What a co-inky-dink!

Good luck to both of you.

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Buyer, meet seller...

Old 02-16-2011, 04:52 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Hmmm...that does look anything like the F55 switch in my '05. Thought those didn't change until '08...
Old 02-16-2011, 04:53 PM
dealer06
Racer

Gents,
Thanks. I "get" that it's got the F55 option. Question is, when I've got a salesman insisting the button doesn't do anything, is there anything I can ask him to do to confirm it's operational. Does the DIC say something, for example, when you switch from one mode to the other?

And to vettedoogie--I'm with you. I haven't owned a corvette yet, but in the many pics I've pored over searching for the car, i've not seen quite this button. The salesman, who didn't know what I was talking about, did look in the glove box to confirm the option code.

Is there any chance of a "switch relocation" project? Seems like I saw a thread about that once.

Again, many thanks.

Joe
Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by dealer06
I'm looking at a car (2007 M6 F55) for sale on a used car dealer's website. The car is several hours away from me (car is in Manheim, PA) so I can't easily check it out.

I had a salesman confirm that the F55 code was inside the glove box after convincing him that the big black button on the console was a ride select button. The salesman kept insisting that the button didn't do anything as far as he could tell. Is there something I can ask him to look at or check to see whether the F55 is still working and that no one has replaced the magnetic shocks with conventional ones, etc?

I don't know if it helps, but here's the link to the photos of the car: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...c&aff=national

Joe
The difference between tour and sport mode can be subtle and I doubt that a non Vette owner used car salesman could tell the difference between the two settings.I do believe that the DIC would show a warning if it was not working properly.Good luck with the decision.

The DIC does not tell you if you are in Tour or Sport.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 02-16-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Gents,
Thanks. I "get" that it's got the F55 option. Question is, when I've got a salesman insisting the button doesn't do anything, is there anything I can ask him to do to confirm it's operational. Does the DIC say something, for example, when you switch from one mode to the other?

And to vettedoogie--I'm with you. I haven't owned a corvette yet, but in the many pics I've pored over searching for the car, i've not seen quite this button. The salesman, who didn't know what I was talking about, did look in the glove box to confirm the option code.

Is there any chance of a "switch relocation" project? Seems like I saw a thread about that once.

Again, many thanks.

Joe
I would guess anyone who hasn't driven it and isn't familiar with the F55 won't notice much difference unless they are cornering hard and turn the switch. It is easier to tell the difference if you are doing that or if you are on a rougher road. It is subtle.

The switch looks like it is in the right place, just looks different. I'd guess there must be a diagnostic they can do at the local GM dealer to make sure it is there and working. They should be getting a code or warning if it isn't working.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 02-16-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Hmmm...that does look anything like the F55 switch in my '05. Thought those didn't change until '08...
I also have an 05 and it doesn't look anything like that.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

No, there isn't any way to confirm it works. If it didn't, the car would throw some codes.

As for the switch, just guessing, but looks like he changed to the '08+ ****.....maybe just the ****, maybe the whole switch. Normally one would only do that to swap in an '08+ CF console. Maybe he just likes the new **** better than the original.....I know I prefer the new one.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe
Between the F55 code in the glove box, the selector switch on the console and the cross-drilled disc brakes, their is no doubt the car has the F55 suspension. At only 22,500 miles the chance that the shocks aren't original are zilch. MN6's with F55 are rare and the car is priced right. Car salesmen seldom know anything about what they are selling, so I wouldn't let that bother you. Jump on that baby before someone else does!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:19 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RicK T
No, there isn't any way to confirm it works. If it didn't, the car would throw some codes.

As for the switch, just guessing, but looks like he changed to the '08+ ****.....maybe just the ****, maybe the whole switch. Normally one would only do that to swap in an '08+ CF console. Maybe he just likes the new **** better than the original.....I know I prefer the new one.
It doesn't look like the new one to me...this is what the new switch looks like....
Old 02-16-2011, 05:42 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Yes, I know what it looks like, I have one.

It looks like an '08 **** that has been blacked out. Copy the pic and blow it up a bit, you can see the outer ring and inner face, all black. Could be wrong but that's what I think.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

As someone else posted, if the salesman isn't familiar with F55 he's not likely to be able to tell that it's doing anything during normal driving. There are many, many threads on this board about not being able to feel the difference.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Not a very close shot but this is what the switch looks like on my '07

Old 02-16-2011, 06:17 PM
RockIT9
Racer

from the picture it looks like a circle plastic sticked on the console, and where is the tour & sport lettering, the **** should look like the two pics posted above

Get notified of new replies

To F55 question

Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

when you take the car for a test drive, you can tell what mode it is in by the tightness / directness of the steering when moving the steering wheel back and forth while driving on a safe and wide road. in tour mode the steering is not as direct as it is when the F55 selector is set to sport mode. other than a bumpy road, this is the most obvious test that i have found.

i have F55 on my manual equipped vette and i like it a lot. it was difficult to find an F55 vette w/ a manual. most likely, most owners or dealers equip F55 cars w/ automatic transmissions.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:21 PM
bassspring
Racer

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Not a very close shot but this is what the switch looks like on my '07

Mine looks like this too, mine is an early '07 bought in January, maybe they changed later in the year.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not only is it the wrong ****, if that even is a **** but the panel should be dark grey not light grey.

Quick Reply: F55 question