C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why hasn't GM changed/improved the C6 seats?
What's the problem? These seats are great!
25.63%
It's too darn expensive to improve the seats!
18.41%
GM is waiting for the C7 and then, wow!
16.25%
GM wants to give the aftermarket vendors more business.
0.36%
GM just wants to piss us all off!
9.75%
Oh, crap...not another C6 seat thread!! Please stop!
29.60%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Why hasn't GM changed the seats?? - the poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:54 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why hasn't GM changed the seats?? - the poll

I just wanted to do a poll on this.

Given all the years that people from the automotive press (and it's not just Car and Driver), to owners, to aftermarket vendors have been griping about the seats. So the question is why, in your humble opinion, hasn't GM bowed to the pressure and vastly improved these seats or at least offer a viable option?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:56 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Money. The Vette is the most bang for your buck if you compare it to Porsche and others.

Speaking of seats, which vendors sell seat covers? I am looking to replace the bottoms of mine. I just want the new/fresh look (stock).
Old 02-13-2011, 12:02 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
Money. The Vette is the most bang for your buck if you compare it to Porsche and others.

Speaking of seats, which vendors sell seat covers? I am looking to replace the bottoms of mine. I just want the new/fresh look (stock).
Katskins
Caravaggio
Old 02-13-2011, 01:07 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I cannot for the life of me figure out why GM has not even attempted to address the issue of the seats. My Girlfriend won't drive long distances with me and that means it's hurting my seat time. I wish the seats were more supportive. It's hard for me to believe that with all the engine and suspension improvements and options that GM couldn't do the same for the seats. It almost seems like it is a battle of egos between the automotive press and GM. Who will budge first? Why let them beat Corvette up about this time after time. Sometimes I think "Car and Driver", "Road and Track", and "Motor Trend" to name a few would seem naked if they couldn't rag on Chevy for the seats. Something just has to be done and I for one would like to see it for the 2012 model so maybe we could get upgrades ourselves!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Idaho Mark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

The drivers seat is all I can talk about because I have never rode in the right seat. My C6 is a 2006 and the very first thing I noticed was the side of the seat that rise on both sides press into my quads. I'm 6'2" 175 so I'm on the thin side, being I should fit like a glove in pretty much any seat. I posted on this side about this matter back in 2006 and everyone said their seats were just peachy. Now after all this time the truth is coming out.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:27 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm in the 10% grouping. Great seats are to late for the C6 although the Power seats in my 3LT C6 coupe weren't that bad. The ZO6 missed the boat in this catagory.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:32 PM
yellersubvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea why they have not improved the seats. There are many much less expensive cars out there with beter seats. My wifes 370Z is a great example. I sat in a Hyundai Genesis Coupe the other day and it was very comparable if not better than the Corvette. Maybe things will change with the C7.?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:36 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Katskins
Caravaggio
Those are custom seats subject to the "Corvette Tax". Doesn't anybody sell just the stock seat covers that can be easily put on?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:43 PM
tanko
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm guessing it's a matter of both development cost and possible increased weight. Whatever the reason, the seats are one of just two areas I'd really like to see improved in the C6 (legroom is the other).

PS What aftermarket options are available for a truly comfortable seat in the C6 (not interested in racing)?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:46 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
Those are custom seats subject to the "Corvette Tax". Doesn't anybody sell just the stock seat covers that can be easily put on?
Sure, Gene at GM Parts House
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rts-house.html
Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, do I think the corvette should come with better seats, yes. I do think GM played it safe with the current seats for a reason. If you look up the thread that people posted their height and weight, you will quickly see that corvette owners come in all shapes and sizes. So the logical thing would be to put a seat in that can fit all people and that's what GM did.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:06 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Xedes
Ok, do I think the corvette should come with better seats, yes. I do think GM played it safe with the current seats for a reason. If you look up the thread that people posted their height and weight, you will quickly see that corvette owners come in all shapes and sizes. So the logical thing would be to put a seat in that can fit all people and that's what GM did.
A total redesign certainly wasn't needed.

The biggest issues I've had...and they aren't major issues to me...is that the foam needs to be significantly firmer/more resilient. I'd also like a little better quality leather. I think they could have done both of these improvements years ago without adding too much cost.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm surprised they didn't come up with a "track" seat as a dealer installed option. Instead, they offer you ugly huge chrome wheels and floor mats.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:19 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I sat in the $3400 Recaro ? optional seats in the Cad CTS V 2 dr the other day. They are not for me. To hard to get in and out of. I am pretty happy with the entrance and exit of the current seats. I do like the idea of an optional seat installed by the dealer for those who want them.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:51 PM
c6coop
Pro

Originally Posted by Xedes

Probably a good thing for me that they didn't design the seats for an "average" guy. Maybe they could have three or four seat options for: standard, agressive, autocross, track day racing, etc.
Probably too complicated.
coop
Old 02-13-2011, 02:53 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Leather Quality and padding can really drive up the cost.

Apsis who has an excellent design (and price) with the Ultra Deluxe seat (which uses the high quality Nappa leather) is around $6000 for a set. Granted that's aftermarket, but I feel that even at an OEM price you wouldn't see those for much under $4000. That isn't cheap in GM's world. They argue over part costs where the increase is $1.
That's why you make it an option and not standard. People that want it pay. GM makes a profit, dealer makes a profit, and the buyer can roll that into the financing.

I believe the newest mustang has such an option.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Leather Quality and padding can really drive up the cost.

Apsis who has an excellent design (and price) with the Ultra Deluxe seat (which uses the high quality Nappa leather) is around $6000 for a set. Granted that's aftermarket, but I feel that even at an OEM price you wouldn't see those for much under $4000. That isn't cheap in GM's world. They argue over part costs where the increase is $1.
C'mon man...that is a completely different kind of seat than the ones in the Vette. I'm talking about using the same seat design but with slightly firmer foam and a LITTLE better leather. You cannot compare the quality/price of Apsis with an upgrade to the existing seat!

Get notified of new replies

To Why hasn't GM changed the seats?? - the poll

Old 02-13-2011, 03:24 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm talking about using the same seat design but with slightly firmer foam and a LITTLE better leather. Just an upgrade to the existing seat!
That's a great idea, and if anyone feels that that need this done they could get it done pretty inexpensively.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:34 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
That's a great idea, and if anyone feels that that need this done they could get it done pretty inexpensively.
Yeah, I realize it is too late in the game for GM to do this but I'm just making the point that is all I wanted to see done from the factory.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:05 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A total redesign certainly wasn't needed.

The biggest issues I've had...and they aren't major issues to me...is that the foam needs to be significantly firmer/more resilient. I'd also like a little better quality leather. I think they could have done both of these improvements years ago without adding too much cost.

But it's not just the foam. I think part of the problem is the thin widely-spaced support wires for the bottom foam cushion.

Seems that some small improvements could make the stock seats MUCH better, like these: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...provement.html

But for a high-g road course, IMO you gotta have a real race seat... I think GM was wise to leave that to the aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Why hasn't GM changed the seats?? - the poll