C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why hasn't GM changed/improved the C6 seats?
What's the problem? These seats are great!
25.63%
It's too darn expensive to improve the seats!
18.41%
GM is waiting for the C7 and then, wow!
16.25%
GM wants to give the aftermarket vendors more business.
0.36%
GM just wants to piss us all off!
9.75%
Oh, crap...not another C6 seat thread!! Please stop!
29.60%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Why hasn't GM changed the seats?? - the poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:34 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Other car companies seem to find a better balance with track/street oem seats then Corvette does. In fact some companies offer optional seats!!!

There is NO excuse for GM's halo car....especially the ZR1....to be saddled with such poor seats and no optional upgrade available.

Anyone who thinks it's impossible for GM to improve the seats is drinking some great kool-aid
You are clearly very passionate about this topic. Just curious what seats you have changed your Corvette seats to?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Side note..drove an AUDI S5 Coupe yesterday. WOW!! No I'm not talking about total "performance" nor comparing it to the Vette in terms of "Sports Car vs Euro something" but the thing came with GREAT well bolstered NAPPA leather seats. You could just feel the thickness and quality of the leather (I also looked at a 2 yr old 30k mile used version with that NAPPA leather...looked fantastic, Vette leather looks creased and used at 2500 miles). The stereo/nav system was a delight (had a harddrive to store your music). It can be trained to your voice but as this was a 10 min test drive I didn't...but it sure responded to my commands "Nav" "Radio"...now this is a coupe, good built quality, V8 engine, 6 sp auto...oh don't get me started on the paddle shifters...normal driving mode it acts like a standard Vette A6 but put it in dynamic mode and it changes engine tune, suspension setting (something like F55) AND SHIFTING for the auto. Dang paddles shifted great aka quickly only downside..didn't hear any throttle blippiing on downshifts.

Now I'm not suggesting you buy one..I didn't..as I still prefer the looks and heritage of the Vette. I just wanted to see what others were offering for $60-$65k. What is MSRP for a GS, 3LT, auto with F55??? GM you've got some explaining to do!!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulB
I sat in the $3400 Recaro ? optional seats in the Cad CTS V 2 dr the other day. They are not for me. To hard to get in and out of. I am pretty happy with the entrance and exit of the current seats. I do like the idea of an optional seat installed by the dealer for those who want them.
I think this is the mindset at GM also. I'm thinking maybe 90% of C6 owners don't need seats that have high bolsters to hold you in.

Lots of people already complain about getting in and out .

Most of the vettes in my area are owned by women who putt around in a automatic trans vette.

For the rest of us who consider the C6 a sports/GT car and like to carve some turns we get to slide around in the cab. if I tighten the shoulder
belt very tight to the point that I cant breathe it helps a little.

They can't afford to option a good seat with the great bank for the buck that we get.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:20 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts

It is about the money.
It is about the money.
it is about the money.

Gm is famous for needing to be brought to the party, very late, kicking and screaming. We have always bought Corvettes in spite of the shortcomings. Now, it is much harder for GM to sell them (why, does not matter). Maybe if they want to sell more, they should MAKE IMPROVEMENTS, without further increases in msrp.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It's funny to hear people compare the 2005 C6 seats, or anything else, to the latest 2011 offerings of other brands. Why not compare to the 2005 versions of other brands?

The C6 hasn't had a major change in 7 years. That's the reason it's still a C6 and not a C7. You just can't change a low volume car every couple of years and expect to price it so that it remains the best bang for the buck on the planet.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
It's funny to hear people compare the 2005 C6 seats, or anything else, to the latest 2011 offerings of other brands. Why not compare to the 2005 versions of other brands?

The C6 hasn't had a major change in 7 years. That's the reason it's still a C6 and not a C7. You just can't change a low volume car every couple of years and expect to price it so that it remains the best bang for the buck on the planet.
CRAP!!! Sorry but a crap excuss. Nothing personal but I've heard the excuse before...and I know all about program economics when it comes to car builds, and crash test studies etc. The seats were crap in the C5 so this was not a new shocking item.

As per my post above...yes it was an 11 Audi S5. That model came out 3 yrs ago...so it is not some newly developed seat concept. Now I'm buying the Vette (YELLOW) but it is more that proper to compare a 2011 Corvette GS and a 2011 AUDI S5. BOTH are 2011's.

And pricing....hmmm 2006 base Z06 was 65k....the next year in 2007 they were pushing 70k for base Z06 units. Why? GM's costs jumped that much?? NO, they saw dealers ripping off customers with huge dealer add-ons and decided to get into the game and raise the base Z06 by some $4500 just because they could ($4500 jump for nothing but they are keeping cost increases down-what a bunch of hog wash). Look at a base coupe msrp in 05 and look at it now...development costs have long since been covered...manufacturing cost increases are well under produciton increases.

Extreme sport seats will NOT work in many Vettes (aka Vette buyers)....45 yr old "Bad to the bone" doc driving his auto GS to the office (saves the weekends for his 'leathers and hog' doesn't need nor want them. Understood BUT they could still increase the quality of the leather used. As for the more sport minded types in the Z06 and ZR1..and optional sport seat should be dooable. Oh, Ford is getting Recarros for thier Boss 302 and GT500 programs done in leather to match the interior and selling them (PAIR) as a $1595 option. So what is up with all the talk of GM having to charge $3k plus for Recarros?

Again, GM you have a lot of explaining to do. I just can't wait for ALMS Long Beach. Harlan Charles is Marketing Manager....hey dude, you and I are gonna have a talk.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

One thing I noticed immediately when I drove 300 miles home from the museum was the uncomfortable seat. Then I started adjusting it. Now it is VERY comfortable and I can easily drive 12 hours and still want more. It takes time to figure out the best position for each of the settings but it is worth it rather than an equal amount of time complaining about how bad the seats are.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
CRAP!!! Sorry but a crap excuss. Nothing personal but I've heard the excuse before...and I know all about program economics when it comes to car builds, and crash test studies etc. The seats were crap in the C5 so this was not a new shocking item.

As per my post above...yes it was an 11 Audi S5. That model came out 3 yrs ago...so it is not some newly developed seat concept. Now I'm buying the Vette (YELLOW) but it is more that proper to compare a 2011 Corvette GS and a 2011 AUDI S5. BOTH are 2011's.

And pricing....hmmm 2006 base Z06 was 65k....the next year in 2007 they were pushing 70k for base Z06 units. Why? GM's costs jumped that much?? NO, they saw dealers ripping off customers with huge dealer add-ons and decided to get into the game and raise the base Z06 by some $4500 just because they could ($4500 jump for nothing but they are keeping cost increases down-what a bunch of hog wash). Look at a base coupe msrp in 05 and look at it now...development costs have long since been covered...manufacturing cost increases are well under produciton increases.

Extreme sport seats will NOT work in many Vettes (aka Vette buyers)....45 yr old "Bad to the bone" doc driving his auto GS to the office (saves the weekends for his 'leathers and hog' doesn't need nor want them. Understood BUT they could still increase the quality of the leather used. As for the more sport minded types in the Z06 and ZR1..and optional sport seat should be dooable. Oh, Ford is getting Recarros for thier Boss 302 and GT500 programs done in leather to match the interior and selling them (PAIR) as a $1595 option. So what is up with all the talk of GM having to charge $3k plus for Recarros?

Again, GM you have a lot of explaining to do. I just can't wait for ALMS Long Beach. Harlan Charles is Marketing Manager....hey dude, you and I are gonna have a talk.

I recently bought a used 2004 Acura TSX with 80k miles on it and the leather looks new and is of much higher quality. This in a sedan that cost $26K new. My former GTO also had better seats which were again, of better quality.

But as you can see from the poll, alot of vette guys give GM a pass on the seats. This mindset also contributes to GM dragging their feet on releasing a seat which matches the levels of performance their top of the line sportcar can achieve. (why have people bracing themselves against the door and sliding around in a 1.04g capable car?) These same guys giving a pass on the seats just don't know what their missing imo.....

You know what though......just wait till the day GM vastly improves the seats (possibly for the C7) you'll have people remarking all over the place about how, in comparison to the C5/C6 seats, the C7 seats put those to shame.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

I don't mind mine at all, and to me, they're soooo much better than the C5 seats. Different body types I guess...
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 AM
kev1949
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vettin08
I don't mind mine at all, and to me, they're soooo much better than the C5 seats. Different body types I guess...
Old 02-14-2011, 09:58 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Where is the "most Corvette owners are too fat" poll option ?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:15 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I have a bad back and they ride fine 1lt 2 or 3 lt 1 lz or 2 lz. The recarros everone likes hurt me in the ctsv go figure park bench with wings.
z51vett
Old 02-14-2011, 10:24 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by gunterwalker
I honestly think the reason GM hasn't changed the seats is because 90% of vette owners aren't on this forum and are happy with the seats. Most of the complaints on here about the seats are those who track their cars or like to drive harder than most. The middle aged house wife that has an auto vert for weekend driving doesn't care how supportive the seats are. I don't track my car and I am totally happy with the seats in most cases but when I hit a curvy road and push the car I see the need for a better seat but I don't really want to compromise. The seats I have now I like on longer rides. I find them comfortable but not very useful when pushing the car to its limits. That being said GM should really offer options when it comes to the seat situation. I might opt for better seats when I get the C7 if its available. I would love to have the Daytona Seats from John Caravaggio if GM made them an option. Cheers.

I agree on all counts. One thing I don't believe is that improving or offering an optional seat is all that difficult or expensive. I can name an awful lot of cars that offer an optional seat that is more supportive, and they charge little or nothing for them. The new Mustang Boss 302 is a good example. It's a car that will sell in relatively limited volumes and has Recaros available.

The Recaro's in the CTS are $3500, and that includes ventilated seats as part of the package. If people are willing to pay $3500 upcharge for the "full leather" in the Corvette, then I believe you could charge the same for Recaros.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:27 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

The Current Mustang came out in 2005 also - with only a minor front and rear restyling along the way, but per my post above the are offering Recaros as an option in 2011 on the Boss. I'm not positive, but I think the Shelby seats have had different bolstering as well.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

Could be too many "large" behinds.
Many complain about bolster wear from ingress and egress already.

I think the seat are OK for a street car.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Mykill Myers
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
Where is the "most Corvette owners are too fat" poll option ?
/\/\/\
This.

The minute we had a factory option for some nice recaros/race seats, there would be 200 threads on the forums complaining about how the seats were too snug or how they caused back pain on road trips.

To GM it is not worth the time or money right now to put new seat options in the C6. Id be blown away if the C7 didnt have some kind of alternative option, but for the time being those wanting different seats in the C6 are a small Minority to GM.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mykill Myers
/\/\/\
This.

The minute we had a factory option for some nice recaros/race seats, there would be 200 threads on the forums complaining about how the seats were too snug or how they caused back pain on road trips.
To GM it is not worth the time or money right now to put new seat options in the C6. Id be blown away if the C7 didnt have some kind of alternative option, but for the time being those wanting different seats in the C6 are a small Minority to GM.
Makes no sense at all. So the guy opting for the optional "sports seats" would then be pissed about buying them??

That's the perfect reason to make it an option, if you want the "fat *** tailored" seats you get those standard, if you want the "sport seat" you check the box....in the meantime they can use better quality leather.

Part of the reason sports cars are dersired is the looks. The corvette seats even fall short in that department....just compare them to other makes (GTR, Ferrari, Porsche, Audi......Mitsu EVO) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Get notified of new replies

To Why hasn't GM changed the seats?? - the poll

Old 02-14-2011, 01:55 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

It's not just the seats but the entire interior is crap compared to cars of similar and to some extent, cars of lesser price. My interior on my 2010 GS is 4LT and is also crap. It is time for Chevy to dump the cheesy grainy/bumpy cheap leather and vinyl for some nice smooth, thicker quality leather. Put in a nice high quality sterring wheel and a 21st century nav unit. And offer real seats that belong in a a real sports car! The reason that Chevy has not done any of the above is because for years the average Vette driver was older and did not require any of the above because it was found only on more expensive foreign cars. But times have changed! Todays buyer has much more to choose from at equal or lesser costs, and most sports cars and performance coupes and sedans such as those from Nissan, Audi, BMW,etc offer far superior seats and interiors. Chevy knows it needs to target a younger driver today than when the C5 arrived in 1997.
Because of this, you will see MAJOR CHANGES regarding the interior of the C7.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 PM
pingrr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Am I missing something? I don't think the seats are that bad. Is there a big difference between the 3lt and the base seats?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Just look at the ZL1 Camaro interior.... GM has the ability. But chooses to leave the Vette as is. It is truly sad for ZR1 owners paying six figures for the same exact interior as a base Vette.

Quick Reply: Why hasn't GM changed the seats?? - the poll