C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Tire Repair Kit: SLIME !???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:40 AM
supercoolsix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flat Tire Repair Kit: SLIME !???

Has anyone ever used this on their tires?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Flat...ReviewTitleBar

http://www.slime.com/

Any input?

I might be taking a road trip and i need some security..

Thanks
Mark
Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Homeboy77
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just received my kit. Not having Run Flats, this will give me some assurance. I have heard both good and bad. Some say it will ruin the sensor, others say it won't. I suppose the best thing to do is get to dealer/tire store asap and get fixed. However, I would rather take the risk of replacing a sensor than having to sit on side of road or watch another tow truck try to improperly load my car on a flat bed.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:54 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Have you tried AAA?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 AM
1fastbob
Racer

On my BMW Z4 that I traded for the Corvette I installed non runflat tires and I will be doing the same on the Corvette when it's time for tires. Some BMWs are similar to the Corvette in that they have no jack or spare. I carried tire plugs, small compressor and a can of fixaflat. I have used tire plugs on other vehicles with great sucess. I have not had to use them recently or on the BMW.

Just a side note: the tire plug might be difficult to use on the rear tire especially on a Corvette due to it being somewhat inaccessible, but the front tires would be a piece of cake. Maybe a couple of short 2x4's (small enough to fit in the storage compartments) to drive a flat rear up on would help.

AAA would be helpful if unable to plug the leak, but they would still send a roll back truck and you would run the risk of damage getting the car loaded and unloaded.

Just my thoughts.

Bob

Last edited by 1fastbob; 02-10-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:54 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I would NOT use slime in/on my Vette. The reason? TPMS....all C5/C6 Vettes have them....I think most ALL cars have them nowadays.

I used slime on BOTH of my for-wheelers when I took them out to West Texas and got the tires full of those big thorns that punctured the tires....

That slime may very well coat those monitors and could ruin them.....

A authority on this is BEZ06.....(forum member) he knows alot about this topic (TPMS=tire pressure monitor system)....Tim

TO BEZ06.....could you chime in here???? thanks....Tim in Texas
Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

AAA runs the risk of paying for any damage they cause. Just keep a camera phone with you.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 AM
1fastbob
Racer

Originally Posted by tim414
I would NOT use slime in/on my Vette. The reason? TPMS....all C5/C6 Vettes have them....I think most ALL cars have them nowadays.

I used slime on BOTH of my for-wheelers when I took them out to West Texas and got the tires full of those big thorns that punctured the tires....

That slime may very well coat those monitors and could ruin them.....

A authority on this is BEZ06.....(forum member) he knows alot about this topic (TPMS=tire pressure monitor system)....Tim

TO BEZ06.....could you chime in here???? thanks....Tim in Texas
I would NOT use SLime unless I already had a tire issue and I was out in the middle of nowhere. You are correct it will coat the TPMS sensors.

Bob
Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Slime Tire Sealant’s TPMS formulation is compatible with all TPMS systems. However, it is important to note that once installed, Slime Tire Sealant may come in contact with the sensor in a way that renders the sensor TEMPORARILY inoperable until it is properly cleaned, inspected and re-installed by a tire care professional.

Because SLiME is a water soluble flat repair treatment, it is easily removed from the tire with water. At the time the affected tire is inspected by a tire care professional, they should clean the sealant from the tire, prepare the area and repair with a Rubber Manufacturer’s Association (RMA) approved patch/plug. The TPMS device should also be cleaned off with water to remove any sealant which may have come into contact with the device. Do not use any fine objects to ream and clean the small pressure sensor opening as it may damage the electronics. After the repaired tire is replaced and inflated the TPMS system will resume operating as normal.

Source: http://slime.com/faq.html#answer_1111
Some GM products without runflats do not even come with a spare tire. Instead they come with an "inflation kit" like this...

My 2009 Pontiac G5 didn't come with a spare. It has one of these kits. A spare tire was a $100 option.

No Mustangs have spare tires, either. They come with one of these. So the point is that using modern sealants will not ruin a TPMS sensor. You will just have to make sure they clean the sensor when the tire is repaired/replaced.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-10-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:10 AM
indyDan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

When I had my BMW motorcycles I used to carry a tire plugger kit similar to the this one
STOP & GO TIRE PLUG GUN KIT 1075

You can look it up on Amazon.com

I am not sure if they would work on a car tire or not, but the one time I needed it on the motorcycle it worked really well. Has anyone used these? Also, the real issue would be possibly jacking up the back of the car. Not sure if there is a low profile jack that is easy to carry.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
csnow
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone have a part number on that GM kit? I would like to pick one up.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 AM
snowman0920
Racer

Plan on paying extra to the tire guy's time to clean up the mess. And, give him a tip, too. It's a PITA job for them to do.

Also, DAVIDTCPA, if I was the tow truck driver coming to your aid after you got a flat due to you changing the tires to something not recommended by the manufacturer and I saw you pulling out a camera, I would roll my flatbed back up and leave you on the side of the road to deal with your own problem.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtcpa

Have you tried AAA?
They are going to screw up your car a lot more than some tire slime.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
AAA runs the risk of paying for any damage they cause. Just keep a camera phone with you.
Id rather have the car not damaged in the first place. What if paint work is involved? Then when you try and resell, it costs you money then.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

plug kit, air pump..........repair.....then straight to tire shop for proper repair with tire off the wheel. end of story.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 AM
yellersubvette
Racer

I have used plugs on run flats(mini & Z4) and regular tires without a problem(wife loves the curb lane). I have a plug kit and mini compressor in all my vehicles. If I plug a tire I take it to a tire shop as soon as I can to have it balanced. I don't have them replace the plug because they will just do what I already did. Run flat manufacturers recommend not plugging run flat tires but I ask why not? Aren't they are supposed to be stronger(sidewalls) than regular tires? The only time I would not plug a tire is if it did compromise the sidewall. A plug when done correct does not weaken a tire. Vulcanization. Very strong and permanent.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It would only be something I would do if it were the only way to get to a town from out in the middle of the desert. Slime says that it is water soluble and can be cleaned out of TPMS sensors, so that shouldn't be a problem. And as Wolfdogs said, the most important thing is to have the tire properly repaired from the inside with the tire taken off the wheel. Any repair that is made with the tire STILL ON the wheel should be considered a temporary, emergency repair only, and should not be left in place any longer than necessary.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 AM
supercoolsix
Burning Brakes

Thanks so much everyone for your input.. i'll make sure to check out my options..

Get notified of new replies

To Flat Tire Repair Kit: SLIME !???

Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

12 volt compressor

bottle of slime tire sealant

a good plug kit

... and a few assorted tools: needle nose pliers, flashlight, flares, a rug, a bottle of soapy water & band aids.

Although I do carry a very good 12 volt compressor and a plug kit/tools as a last resort, I highly doubt I would ever crawl around on the ground to try and patch a tire on the road.

The pump will hopefully keep enough air in a tire w/ a slow leak to get to a service station. Anything short of that and I'm calling roadside service (AAA.)

I live in California with great roads and rarely am I very far from a service center. In 45 years of driving I've had exactly 1 flat tire and that was a slow leak, so this works for me.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 535 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
plug kit, air pump..........repair.....then straight to tire shop for proper repair with tire off the wheel. end of story.
Yeah, it seems like it would be easy, when you say it like that.

But if it's dark, or raining, or 20 degrees out, or just somewhere you don't want to be, it's gonna be a PITA.
Sorry, but even if it's 80 degrees, sunny, and in my own neighborhood, I don't see myself ever trying to plug a flat tire.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I have slime kit in my car, it came with a compressor, will only use it in case of emergency

Quick Reply: Flat Tire Repair Kit: SLIME !???