C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Z06 muffler question

I dont understand why people dont go for a Z06 muffler set and get a full 3" exhaust front to rear. I'm aware that the muffler's inlet goes down to 2.5" for about 1 inch but its been demonstrated with the x-pipes that a 3" X makes more power than a 2.5" x-pipe even if used with a 2.5" muffler set (negating the myth that the inlet restriction makes 3" pipes before it worthless), hence having 3" pipes for 3+ more feet cant hurt.

Using Z06 headers the pipes mate up with no welding so what's the down side? Why not save 900 bucks and get the Z06 units? I have them on my car with 3" mating pipes and its a bolt on garage thing with no welding.

I think this is one of those myths that costs people money.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 02-09-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 AM
rectifyer2000
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm with you big time. Compared to the B&B fusion, I saved over 1,600 bucks. If money was no object I'd love to tryout the B&B's but it's tall dollars and the Z06 setup works and sounds great. Want more sound, do the mod for about $100.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:47 AM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster

I dont understand why people dont go for a Z06 muffler set and get a full 3" exhaust front to rear. I'm aware that the muffler's inlet goes down to 2.5" for about 1 inch but its been demonstrated with the x-pipes that a 3" X makes more power than a 2.5" x-pipe even if used with a 2.5" muffler set (negating the myth that the inlet restriction makes 3" pipes before it worthless), hence having 3" pipes for 3+ more feet cant hurt.

Using Z06 headers the pipes mate up with no welding so what's the down side? Why not save 900 bucks and get the Z06 units? I have them on my car with 3" mating pipes and its a bolt on garage thing with no welding.

I think this is one of those myths that costs people money.

Great points (as always) Spin, thank you.

The 3 inch "mating pipes" you refer to are just the stock Z06 pipes correct?

Do some Z06's have an H-pipe, and others have an X-pipe? ...and if so, does it make a hill of beans difference in power which one is used?

Any pro's or con's of installing the complete Z06 exhaust from the front all the way to rear on a completely stock C6 ??

Lastly, how will the stock Z06 exhaust sound on a stock C6 compared to the stock NPP that's on the C6 now?

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:14 AM
richgoat
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Spin,

I'm still trying to figure out why people will shell out $900 for a set of 2008+ NPP mufflers when the Z06 mufflers go for less than half and sound just as good! I love my Kooks with Z06 mufflers (no mod). Car sounds awesome, almost stock quiet with my NPP in a box closed, and great with it open. Loud, but not loud to the point where everyone will stare and I have a headache after driving for 5 min. By far, one of the best, cheapest mods you can do to put a smile on your face!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Me? I personally prefer the sound of the NPP over the Z06 muf. I've had both installed. Supply and demand for the ease of install.

NPP bolt on in the driveway.

Z06 Muffler shop in most cases. Labor intensive to install complete Z06 exhaust from the engine back and very tight around the axles for the 3" pipe.

To me and my ears the Z06 has a mellow deep tone where the NPP has a raw, throaty sound reminiscent of the muscle car era... but that just my opinion and I am sure some will agree and disagree, matter of preference.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RLSebring
...prefer the sound of the NPP over the Z06 muf
...the ease of install...NPP bolt on in the driveway
...Labor intensive to install complete Z06 exhaust

I recently bought a pair of NPP mufflers that are waiting to be installed. Z06 mufflers would have been less expensive, but they would also require the Z06 Muffler Mod to sound like the NPPs. I don't have a welder and it just seemed like a pain to mess with the Z06 stuff when the NPP is a true bolt-on installation with no other worries.

I only care about the sound and not the extra 3 HP I might pick up by swapping the entire exhuast out.

I will agree that for someone on a budget, you can probably buy a complete front-to-back Z06 exhaust for less than what some guys are asking for a pair of NPPs.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the sound of the NPP with mild to wild added. I get comments all the time about the sound.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 AM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 08z has an xpipe and muffler mod done.,..maaaaaan... loud but deep roar
Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if this is accurate...but I read in another thread that Z06 pipes won't fit on a C6 with an automatic transmission. So that might be a concern for some.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think 90% of you guys are missing the point that he is making...
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I think 90% of you guys are missing the point that he is making...
Who's point? The OP?

The point is you're not going to save 900.00 going with Z06. Your labor is worth something and certainly the muffler shops labor is worth something.

The point is the Z06 mufflers are cheaper upfront. By the time you figure the X pipe and headers then the labor along with a tight fit are you really saving anything? Are you gaining anything by virtue of going through all the extra work?

I think the long and short of it is one offers a simple bolt on and the other more work and any saving are questionable not to mention there are a lot of folks, like myself, that installed the Z06 only to "Upgrade" to NPP.

Again I think it boils down to preference or perceived value.

Now if there is another point then Yes I must be missing it.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:17 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Now if there is another point then Yes I must be missing it.
Yes, the point of more power through a more free-flowing exhaust.

The price savings was simply an afterthought, from what I could tell. I could be wrong though....it's the internet after all and it's sometimes tough to decipher meaning simply through text.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Yes, the point of more power through a more free-flowing exhaust.

The price savings was simply an afterthought, from what I could tell. I could be wrong though....it's the internet after all and it's sometimes tough to decipher meaning simply through text.
See, I thought Spin was just bitch'n about the price difference.

I can agree with horsepower and free flowing exhaust. However you have the same problem with both exhaust ysytems. The pipes are only ~2.5 " inside the can. So the same restriction applies to both systems more so to the Z06 exhaust.

I really don't see the horse power gain in either system worth the effort BUT the sound difference especially over the stock C6 exaust is definately worth it regardless of which system is chosen.

Last edited by RLSebring; 02-09-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:45 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

I can agree with horsepower and free flowing exhaust. However you have the same problem with both exhaust ysytems. The pipes are only ~2.5 " inside the can. So the same restriction applies to both systems more so to the Z06 exhaust.
Well that's why he also said...

I'm aware that the muffler's inlet goes down to 2.5" for about 1 inch but its been demonstrated with the x-pipes that a 3" X makes more power than a 2.5" x-pipe even if used with a 2.5" muffler set (negating the myth that the inlet restriction makes 3" pipes before it worthless), hence having 3" pipes for 3+ more feet cant hurt.

I believe the point of this post is why people don't opt for a full 3" exhaust, yet the topic seemed to focus simply on the stock Z06 mufflers.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

OK so price, mufflers and effort aside I can agree that the 3+ feet of 3" pipe is a positive.

Those that want just sound the choice is easy and those that are ringing every drop of HP the choice is also easy.

Well that's why he also said...

I'm aware that the muffler's inlet goes down to 2.5" for about 1 inch but its been demonstrated with the x-pipes that a 3" X makes more power than a 2.5" x-pipe even if used with a 2.5" muffler set (negating the myth that the inlet restriction makes 3" pipes before it worthless), hence having 3" pipes for 3+ more feet cant hurt.

I believe the point of this post is why people don't opt for a full 3" exhaust, yet the topic seemed to focus simply on the stock Z06 mufflers.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

OK so price, mufflers and effort aside I can agree that the 3+ feet of 3" pipe is a positive.

Those that want just sound the choice is easy and those that are ringing every drop of HP the choice is also easy.

Agreed
Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 PM
JPN7075U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a set of NPP mufflers put on my 07 LS2 yesterday at Corvette Specialties in Riverside CA. I did not have the controller installed yet. They default to wide open with no vacuum present and they are pretty tame compared to the spintechs on my old Shelby. I like how they sound open and may never add the controller. I'm a little nervous on where they tap vacuum anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 muffler question

Old 02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by JPN7075U
I just had a set of NPP mufflers put on my 07 LS2 yesterday at Corvette Specialties in Riverside CA. I did not have the controller installed yet. They default to wide open with no vacuum present and they are pretty tame compared to the spintechs on my old Shelby. I like how they sound open and may never add the controller. I'm a little nervous on where they tap vacuum anyway.
This literally could not have less to do with this thread.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by JPN7075U
If you travel it's a nice option to close them while at prolonged distances.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:23 PM
JPN7075U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, it could have. I was considering discussing jet engines!

Quick Reply: Z06 muffler question