C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Chip Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM
lucky1left
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Chip Advice needed

Hi again all.......in attempting the 2400 mile road trip from hell cleanup...(from Museum delivery) I noted a very small, 1/16 or 1/8 " rock chip. It is right on the front of the hood edge and took a small divot. It shows white and your eye goes immediately to it. grrrrrr. I have no clue as to the remedy. ....buy touch up paint from Chev?....or what. It's Cyber Gray btw. Thanks for any advice.
Donna
Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
HOTSOSS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought and used the Langka repair kit. It works with the touch up paint either from a dealer or other source, but not with the paint you would use to paint the car with. The problem with chip repair is using the touch up paint leaves a blob and the Lanka stuff makes it smooth. Follow their directions and over a period of several days, build the chip area up with several coats (I use a toothpick to dab paint into the chip area). Then use their blob remover to get it smooth. I have Crystal Red and the paint is difficult to match, but you should be ok with the grey. If this doesn't work for you, you can remove everything with the Lanka and take it to someone that specializes in chip repair. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:50 AM
lucky1left
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOTSOSS
I bought and used the Langka repair kit. It works with the touch up paint either from a dealer or other source, but not with the paint you would use to paint the car with. The problem with chip repair is using the touch up paint leaves a blob and the Lanka stuff makes it smooth. Follow their directions and over a period of several days, build the chip area up with several coats (I use a toothpick to dab paint into the chip area). Then use their blob remover to get it smooth. I have Crystal Red and the paint is difficult to match, but you should be ok with the grey. If this doesn't work for you, you can remove everything with the Lanka and take it to someone that specializes in chip repair. Good luck.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I'm a chicken, but on the other hand don't know of a good touch up artist. Anyone in Phoenix area have a recommendation?
Donna
Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

also check out dr.colorchip.com
Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

If you want to take the guess work out of it, go to your local Chevy or any dealer, find out who does their "touch up work" on used cars. Call the guy, set up an appointment and have the bumper/body panel of your choice done. It's usually between $25-$50 a panel to have them air brush the chips and then acetone off the over spay. It's invisible when done and a perfect match for the car. Why do you think the paint jobs are near perfect on the certified pre-owned vehicles?

Or there are a few DIY products:
http://appliedcolors.com/
http://www.langka.com/ (paint not supplied)
http://www.drcolorchip.com/
Old 02-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lucky1left
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I'm a chicken, but on the other hand don't know of a good touch up artist. Anyone in Phoenix area have a recommendation?
Donna
I know its a hike from Sun City to Tempe, but I highly recommend New Image. http://www.newimagepaintandbody.com/. They did work on two of my cars while I was stationed in AZ and both jobs were perfection. The owner is meticulous and uses nothing but oem parts for repair. After I purchased a used 99 C5, I had them touch-up the front bumper (pewter) and it was perfect. Its not too far off the 202 by ASU. Whoever you decide on for your repair, I highly recommend installing a clear bra after the repair; especially in that rock infested area of northwest Phoenix.

Last edited by Bandit1; 02-06-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:11 AM
lucky1left
Advanced

Bandit, thanks for the great info in both tour posts.
Donna

Originally Posted by Bandit1
I know its a hike from Sun City to Tempe, but I highly recommend New Image. http://www.newimagepaintandbody.com/. They did work on two of my cars while I was stationed in AZ and both jobs were perfection. The owner is meticulous and uses nothing but oem parts for repair. After I purchased a used 99 C5, I had them touch-up the front bumper (pewter) and it was perfect. Its not too far off the 202 by ASU. Whoever you decide on for your repair, I highly recommend installing a clear bra after the repair; especially in that rock infested area of northwest Phoenix.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lucky1left
Bandit, thanks for the great info in both tour posts.
Donna
More than welcome, ma'am. Good luck with the touch-up repair. CG is a beautiful color.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit1
If you want to take the guess work out of it, go to your local Chevy or any dealer, find out who does their "touch up work" on used cars. Call the guy, set up an appointment and have the bumper/body panel of your choice done. It's usually between $25-$50 a panel to have them air brush the chips and then acetone off the over spay. It's invisible when done and a perfect match for the car. Why do you think the paint jobs are near perfect on the certified pre-owned vehicles?

Or there are a few DIY products:
http://appliedcolors.com/
http://www.langka.com/ (paint not supplied)
http://www.drcolorchip.com/
I have used the used car touch up guy many times for my vettes' paint chips. Cost was as advised and you could not tell that the paint repair had been done. Only caveat is that you cannot do a repair to a horizontal surface such as the hood. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Red Rag Top
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTSOSS
Used it on a chip on my driver side mirror. left the paint blob set up for 48 hours and then worked it down to a smooth finish. Can't tell it was ever chipped
Old 02-06-2011, 03:09 PM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I use the Dr. Color Chip kit on my machine silver, with good results.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I had a 2005 Mag Red Coupe which got nailed by a passing truck. As soon as he passed me I knew I was in trouble. A rock caught the drvers side door right on the crease. Not to big but not to small either. I called the dealership from where the car was ordered. My salesman told me to call the local Mercedes dealer and ask them who fixes their cars when they're damaged. I did and they asked me to bring touch up paint and a case of their favorite beer. (Yungling) not spelled right

Bottom line, except for the beer there was no charge and they got rid of the damage. Couldn't tell it was ever there.

Hopefully there is someting in this story that helps you. Good Luck
Old 02-06-2011, 05:14 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Originally Posted by surburban99
I use the Dr. Color Chip kit on my machine silver, with good results.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Chip Advice needed

Quick Reply: Paint Chip Advice needed