C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safelite autoglass and OEM glass

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:18 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Safelite autoglass and OEM glass

Does anyone know if Safelite uses or can use (source) OEM front windshields or do they insist on a cheaper alternative?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They use cheaper glass. This is a quote from the Safelite website.

What is the difference between OEM and OEE glass?
We manufacture and install OEM-equivalent, or OEE, auto glass. This means that it is essentially the same piece of glass that is installed at the time your vehicle is made, with the only difference being the windshield manufacturer.

Our glass meets or exceeds all federal, industry and safety standards, and we engage in some of the most rigorous product testing in the industry.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Marc V.
They use cheaper glass. This is a quote from the Safelite website.

What is the difference between OEM and OEE glass?
We manufacture and install OEM-equivalent, or OEE, auto glass. This means that it is essentially the same piece of glass that is installed at the time your vehicle is made, with the only difference being the windshield manufacturer.

Our glass meets or exceeds all federal, industry and safety standards, and we engage in some of the most rigorous product testing in the industry.
So is the glass in fact as they say as good or better then OEM or is it actually inferior. Sounds like it's open to interpretation?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

I have no experience with Safelite.

I work at a dealership and we use a local glass shop that also installs aftermarket windshields at times if the customer requests a cheaper price.

We have had no issues with aftermarket glass, as long as it's installed by a qualified, experienced installer.

Only issues I've seen is water leaks from improper installation.

Is this for a Corvette with HUD?

Last edited by Marc V.; 02-05-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:34 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Marc V.
I have no experience with Safelite.

I work at a dealership and we use a local glass shop that also installs aftermarket windshields at times if the customer requests a cheaper price.

We have had no issues with aftermarket glass, as long as it's installed by a qualified, experienced installer.

Only issues I've seen is water leaks from improper installation.
My concern would be glass that works with the HUD and that doesn't create distortions while looking through.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NW94Z
So is the glass in fact as they say as good or better then OEM or is it actually inferior. Sounds like it's open to interpretation?
I 've been using Safelite glass for years. I can't count how many times, but at least never on the Vettes. While their service is prompt, and they come to your door and do the job from a mobile truck, the fact is the glass is not as good as oem and never has been for me. I've got a brand new windshield they just put in my truck, it's just a bit wavy when I look through it at certain angles, not terrible but not as good as new and never has been whenever they've replaced one for me.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:38 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
I 've been using Safelite glass for years. I can't count how many times, but at least never on the Vettes. While their service is prompt, and they come to your door and do the job from a mobile truck, the fact is the glass is not as good as oem and never has been for me. I've got a brand new windshield they just put in my truck, it's just a bit wavy when I look through it at certain angles, not terrible but not as good as new and never has been whenever they've replaced one for me.
That's what I'm afraid of. Especially on a car as expensive as a Vette. Other glass installer suggestions?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

My concern would be glass that works with the HUD and that doesn't create distortions while looking through.
If you have HUD, I would probably recommend an OEM glass.

It doesn't have to be done at a dealer. Call a local glass shop and specify that you want an OEM glass. Be sure to mention you have HUD.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

That's what I'm afraid of. Especially on a car as expensive as a Vette. Other glass installer suggestions?
Nope, I've always used Safelite, their service is so good I keep overlooking the flaws and go back to them. They do a good job on the install. The glass itself looks like a match, has the right tint, the right masking and always fits good, but always seems to have a bit of that optical distortion that was absent in the oem piece.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:50 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
Nope, I've always used Safelite, their service is so good I keep overlooking the flaws and go back to them. They do a good job on the install. The glass itself looks like a match, has the right tint, the right masking and always fits good, but always seems to have a bit of that optical distortion that was absent in the oem piece.
No matter the quality of service or fit of the glass I don't feel that looking through a distorted windshield is acceptable. It's a constant reminder that the glass is not up to OEM standards. I wouldn't buy a new car with a glass issues like this. Why would I accept inferior glass as a replacement?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:54 AM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Safelite windshield in my 08 Tahoe when it got smashed on a roadtrip. I could tell no difference. As far as the HUD windshield I have seen HUD's in both HUD windshields and nonHUD windshields and there is almost no difference. I don't think there is any problems with their glass. The problems with windshields is the actual installation not the glass (at least in 99% of the problems). If I needed to use Safelite on my Vette I would do so with no worries.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

No matter the quality of service or fit of the glass I don't feel that looking through a distorted windshield is acceptable. It's a constant reminder that the glass is not up to OEM standards. I wouldn't buy a new car with a glass issues like this. Why would I accept inferior glass as a replacement?
Yep. On my Vette I'd want OEM. On my toyota tacoma pickup, it's my daily driver, got to get it back in service. And usually what they say, is that the OEM is not in stock, and on 3 week backorder, that kind of thing. It's easier just to cave in when they can otherwise fix it the same afternoon. The other thing with them, they are in kahootz with the insurance compaies. In one way, it helps because they take care of processing the claim for you. My windshields take a beating from my daily commute and stones that get tossed up. My insurance carries a safety glass rider, it's cheap and only costs $50 out of pocket to replace. The Vette I would be more picky about, but you probably don't want the dealer doing it. At best, they subcontract the job to a glass company and at worst they do it themselves. They don't have as much experience at it as the guys who do it 8 hrs a day, and that does count because other things can go wrong, like leaks, creaks, or worst, scratching up the finish, either outside or the interior.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:21 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I reduced the Corvette tax (which is in full effect on windshields) by getting the non-OnStar glass(PPG) from a 2005 vette. so you don't get the mount or the shaded section to mount the antenna, but it was a lot cheaper.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:52 AM
sgrubbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oem

I had my insurance company authorize OEM replacement glass in my '07 because I have the HUD. It took about a week for the OEM windshield to arrive at the Safelite shop - then they came by an put it in. Go with OEM, there is a difference.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Oem

Safelite NO WAY. I own a glass replacment shop and have been putting in glass for 22 years and I would take it for in shop service. You can solve problems when they come up and in my shop I have 7 people that pull together to solve the problems that can come up when installing glass. OEM glass only in my Corvette anything else and a fight is on I have seen some really crappy aftermarket glass but if I did not have insurance I guess I would have to do some shopping. No way I'd have someone put a windshield in my car in a driveway . I also would not want someone to come and make a pizza in my driveway.
THANKS RAYZZZ MY CORVETTE LIKES MY MONEY
Old 02-05-2011, 08:24 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Safelite did quality work for me 2 years ago. The windshield was not OEM but met the same specs and looked exactly like the original right down to the shading at the top. Perfect install, no leaks, no mess, "like it never happened!"
Old 02-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default I redo ther work

I redo there work all the time.
Sorry but True

Get notified of new replies

To Safelite autoglass and OEM glass

Old 02-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've used Safelite numerous times with Suburbans I've owned and most recently with my daughter's car...I've never had any issues with their glass or service. Actually, once on my Suburban there was a slight leak around the seal but they came back out and fixed it. I don't know but its possible the glass Safelite uses is made by the same sources that manufacturer's use with the only difference being the branding. Again, I don't know but I've never had problems using Safelite.

I recently replaced the HUD windshield in my C6 at a Buick dealership of all places....with years of track use the windshield had a few small 'chips' and generally looked sand-blasted. The Buick dealership has a specific glass company they use for installations but they assured me they would get GM replacement glass. What I found interesting...with full glass coverage on my insurance the glass company got me on a three-way call with the 'insurance' company to verify coverage and approve the work. Surprisingly, it was Safelite Glass that was handling the claim for the insurance company. Evidently, many large insurance carriers use Safelite to handle all their glass claims irrespective of which glass company does the work.

Last edited by Wayne O; 02-05-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:11 AM
ldfult
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Safelite several times. I always request oem glass. It does take a few days longer to wait for the glass to come in. Never any problems with quality of work or with the glass.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default Priming

Two important parts of the install is primming scratches made when removing glass and the quality of the urethane used. Priming scratches made when removing glass is important because you do not want to end up with rust. I have seen a lot of rust come from improper priming like holes you can stick your fingers in . MAKE SURE SCRATCHES ARE COVERED WITH A GOOD URETHANE PRIMER

Quick Reply: Safelite autoglass and OEM glass