C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so I was all set to pull the trigger on JetStream Blue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 871 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
How's it do in the showing of swirl marks and other surface scratches department?
Being a "light" color with a lot of metalflake and reflectivity it is comparble to silver. Hides swirls and scratches very well. I've had black and LBM. Bot made me absolutely crazy with swirls scratches etc. JSB is a great color. Maybe a bit more difficult to match but the look and the endless unsolicited compliments are worth it.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:33 PM
TysonJones
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get silver and enjoy the car. It still looks great. Plus JSB only seems to look great in certain lighting. In some lighting it doesnt look that great imo. Just my opinion. With that said, it looks magnificent in the right lighting.

If you dont want to get silver and be worry free just go with JSB, it's going to show swirls, no matter what you do, you'll see little scratches. It happens. Im as careful as you can be but I still see some small surface scratches sometimes, like I said it happens. If you get a rock chip you get a rock chip. 99 percent of the time you will be the only person in this world that notices it. I have a Crystal red metallic grand sport, same extra charge for paint.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:39 PM
dpb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
Word!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

The tri colors are very difficult to match. The standard colors are much easier to paint match. That being said, the darker the color the greater any surface imperfections will show. Black is the worst followed very close by the reds, white it the least noticeable for imperfections. Hope that helps.

Now that you have a basic understanding of the various paints, the big question is "What color do you want?" Always remember that you are the one that will have to look at the car every day. Don't put yourself in a position of buyer's remorse because you settled on a color that you didn't really want.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Now that you have a basic understanding of the various paints, the big question is "What color do you want?" Always remember that you are the one that will have to look at the car every day. Don't put yourself in a position of buyer's remorse because you settled on a color that you didn't really want.
That's why I chose to change the color of mine from black to JSB. I LOVE that color and black, while great when it's perfect, is just too damned much trouble for a DD!

Why not just by a new one? Well, aside from mine being mod'd the way I want (many many mechanical and cosmetic upgrades), the money is a factor too of course!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

My advice, don't buy the car/JSB on the assumption that your going to have an accident. Buy it because you like it and let nature take its course. Assume no accidents and years of care free driving and fun.

Just my 2 cents, go for it. Good Luck

Im sorry I forgot the second part of your question, I don't have JSB, I have a Machine Silver 2007 Coupe. If I could have JSB I'd make the change in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Rich Mickol; 02-06-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-06-2011, 04:10 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
My advice, don't but the car/JSB on the assumption that your going to have an accident. Buy it because you like it and let nature take its course. Assume no accidents and years of care free driving and fun.

Just my 2 cents, go for it. Good Luck

Im sorry I forgot the second part of your question, I don't have JSB, I have a Machine Silver 2007 Coupe. If I could have JSB I'd make the change in a heartbeat.
Oh I'm not worried about the accident aspect as my insurer has already stated that even if the entire car needed to be repainted because of paint requirements, they'd cover it.

I was more concerned with the everyday wear and tear aspects (rock chips, etc)
Old 02-06-2011, 04:33 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you're over thinking the paint color. As others have said, JSB blends no worse than other metallic colors. Just DO IT!
Old 02-06-2011, 05:12 PM
offthehook1
Advanced

The only place I have had swirl marks on my 09 C6 coupe in JSB was on the top of the rear portion of the car. Came out real easy.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Scruff Vette
Being a "light" color with a lot of metalflake and reflectivity it is comparble to silver. Hides swirls and scratches very well. I've had black and LBM. Bot made me absolutely crazy with swirls scratches etc. JSB is a great color. Maybe a bit more difficult to match but the look and the endless unsolicited compliments are worth it.
I agree. I was worried about all of the road rash the C6s and C5s get behind the front wheels, the lower doors, rockers and leading edge of the rear quarter panels. My Torch Red C5s showed all of the little rock chips to the point the paint looked faded. My JSB C6Z with 22K miles has a bunch of little chips as well but I really have to look hard to find them and the touch up paint does a great job of covering over the larger chips that get down into the black primer.

The big advantage of the JSB color is all of the comments it gets. I have taken it to a couple of places where our local club has gone to do impromptu shows for nursing homes and assisted living centers and almost every viewer comes by and says they like my car the best due to its color.

Bill
Old 02-06-2011, 06:08 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I was also going to get JSB, I came so close, got my paper work from the the dealer out of state 2 different times but could not pull the trigger, the Mrs did not really like the color and yes the color does change, different times of the day it will look different. My wife keep telling me in less than a couple of years I would be tried of it. Bottomline: I'm going with the classic Torch Red it never go's out of style and worth more in the long run and no $850 paint fee.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:12 PM
hebdog7
Racer

Any paint that is a base coat, pearl coat, then clear coat plus metallic in the base coat is a PITA to match. It CAN be done most shops don't like to do it cause of the extra work involved. It is very doable.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

your guy is correct.

Mine had to be blended when I did the booty.

Now I avoid these tint coat cars when I look to purchase.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

when my trusty paint shop guy (the guy who has been doing not only my Vettes but does a LOT of Vettes) tells me that JSB is a very special "tri-layer" paint and, in the event of chip or other paint repairs, can't be done correctly and requires a complete reshoot of the car. Something about the color layer is actually the first one with 3 more coats over it and that's why it appears so deep. But the thickness above the color layer has a major effect on the color, hence why an area can't effectively be blended in.

As this would be my DD (and I would do a clear bra in all the critical places) and is a widebody, it has me thinking a bit about my color choice. 'Cause we all know chips and other nasties ARE going to happen.

Anyone with a JSB care to offer an opinion?

Ken
BS, get a new painter. I have had rear quarters and a hood done on my JSB and they look perfect
Old 02-06-2011, 09:15 PM
hanks10GS
Burning Brakes

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

I had a 2010 JSB Coupe picked out and when I came to pick it up my wife talked me into a Torch Red GS vert. JSB is a beautiful color however I am glad that I listened to her. For once.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Oh I'm not worried about the accident aspect as my insurer has already stated that even if the entire car needed to be repainted because of paint requirements, they'd cover it.

I was more concerned with the everyday wear and tear aspects (rock chips, etc)
If the front end is free of chips now, maybe consider 3M or any other products that will help protect the front end. GM splash guards will help in the wheel wells and they look great. The windshield is a bit tougher to protect. I try to hang back, especially from Dump Trucks.

Just a couple of ideas for you to consider. Good Luck
Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Take a look at this color and tell me you dont want it. JSB has a green tintcoat that makes it a different shade of blue at different times of the day. Just looking at that picture, you can see about four shades of blue from shadowing. Look at the JSB owner avatars and they almost look like totally different color blue paintjobs. Think of DSOM, but in blue. Based on my previous MS silver C6, you can certainly see swirls easier in the paint. It's a higher maintainence color when compared to white or silver.

Last edited by SilverScorp; 02-06-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, so I was all set to pull the trigger on JetStream Blue

Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think that's silly...buy the color Corvette you like!

I've heard for years how difficult some of the premium colors (like my Magnetic Red Metallic II) would be to match. I've had two new roof panels so far (per the recalls) and each one was painted at the dealership's body shop. They did an excellent job matching paint.

Get the color you like!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:48 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get black.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:51 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by coolcat
Get black.

]
Didn't read the part where I said I already have a black C6?

Quick Reply: Ok, so I was all set to pull the trigger on JetStream Blue